1 shot two bucks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by dills, Nov 10, 2010.

1. dills

dills G&G Regular

Bang for his buck: Hunter bags two bucks at once <<<<click for video

One hunt, two big bucks and one heck of a story.
    We were so impressed by one of our Big Buck Brag Board entries, we hunted down the Jackson County hunter!
    Rodney Hurst of Hixton is in the process of mounting two bucks, a 10-pointer and a 12-pointer. The thing is, one of the bucks actually did half the work for him.
    "I’ve been hunting a lot. That's what all the old people always say—you've got to put your time in," Hurst says.
    Hurst is a life-long hunter. And as his boys will proudly show you, this bow season he got a lot of bang for his buck.
    “A buddy of mine was combining corn and so I decided just to stand along side of his corn field and then all of a sudden here they come. Not very fast,” Hurst says.
    They were a 10-point buck and 12-pointer locked in battle, the smaller obviously winning this rut but unable to free himself from his deceased conquest.
    “I didn't know what to think for sure so I made a few phone calls before I even shot them. I called the DNR and figured out what I needed to do to keep them both,” Hurst says.
    The DNR told him the bonus buck was his for a price; $42.20 to be exact. So 20 minutes after first spotting the once rivals, Hurst took his shot.
    “I think a lot of people are jealous to get two bucks with one, well two arrows because I got a little impatient,” Hurst says laughing.
    It took his buddy's tow-truck to budge the combined 400-plus pounds. Then a lot of people wanted to get a look including Hurst’s very excited sons, named Gunner and Hunter by the way.
    Now their dad jokes he's just waiting to see if his "22-pointer" can win him a buck pool.
    “I kind of thought it was a mercy shot. It's not like I was a wild hunter, it was a pretty easy shot,” Hurst says smiling.
    Hurst says the DNR told him his pair is actually the third of its kind in our area. Two other pair were shot in Monroe County. He shot his just north of Alma Center.
    The DNR told him the reason for the number of locked deer is that people are letting bucks get bigger so they're more apt to get tangled.
    Hurst is getting his two deer mounted as they were and he and his fiancé already have a corner picked out in their living room.
    Got a buck you'd like to brag about? We'd love to see a photo from this year's hunt! You can find our Big Buck Brag Board right now on our sports page.

2. hounddawg

hounddawg G&G Newbie

Nah. Ain't got nothing to top that. I got a couple of bad guys with one grenade and a hell of a lot of rifle-fire to keep them where they were at, but that was not the same. Maybe he was lucky. My granddaddy used to say "luck counts". Next time he does it, it will be counted as "skill".
  3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Very interesting story !!