150 gr. vs 165 gr. for 30.06

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by katoguy, Oct 13, 2008.

1. katoguy

katoguy G&G Newbie

So I'm new here and love what I've read so far. So here's something that's been rolling around my head... I have a 30.06 and primarily shoot 150 grain rounds I picked up some 165 grain rounds that were on clearance the other day and shot them. I had to move up 12 clicks to be on in elevation at 100 yards. The question is two parts: 1.) should I be on at 200,300 if I am at the same elevation at 100 yards with the 165's as I am with the 150's assuming they drop at the same rate? 2.) If I were to buy 180's would there be any way to know how to adjust w/o shooting ie. has someone done this who can tell me approx. how much lower a 180 grain bullet will strike at 200 yards then a 150 grain? Thanks for the comments. Don't rip me too bad, I'm new.
  2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Regular

If you change the weight of the bullets that you sighted your scope with you will almost always have a different point of impact with them. If you shoot the same weight but change to a different brand of factory ammo you can also have a different POI,since different powders have different velocities with the same bullet. Look at a ballistic chart for what you plan on shooting and you can see the ways that all this changes your POI.
  3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

also don't be too surprised if you shoot at 300 yds and the heavier bullet actually hits higher than the lighter one does.
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

A good source of info

would be Remington.com where this firearms company has an excellent ballistics section allowing you to compare various calibers and bullet weights.

Your individual rifle will respond differently to differing loads. It is always best to sight in your rifle with the load you will use for hunting before going hunting.
  5. Cole K

Cole K G&G Newbie

Welcome aboard.
    Katoguy,
    Every time you change bullet types and/or weights and every time you change brands of ammo you will need to re-zero your.

Why you may ask? Different bullet types and weights have different Ballistic Coefficients.

What is Ballistic Coefficient? Ballistic Coefficient is the ratio of a bullet’s sectional density to its coefficient of form. The term is used to describe the bullet’s effectiveness in over air resistance during flight. I other words the more pointed the bullet the easier it is to over come air resistance during flight.
    Therefore you need to re-zero your rifle and also shoot it at 200 and 300 yards.

We don’t know in most cases what powder or the BC’s of the bullets that the ammo companies’ are using.

The Ammo Companies will give you a Ballistics Chart for their Ammo or you can go to their websites and look it up. These charts may or may not be useful.

Why? Every rifle is different and a law unto its self.

Every time you change bullet types and/or weights and every time you change brands of ammo you will to re-zero your and also shoot at 200 and 300 yards to see where it is hitting.

The Ol’ Man said, “Son, don’t brag to me about the long shot you made! Brag to me about how close you got!”
  6. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

The others gave good advice. Her is my 2 cents. I would probably just use the 165's for practice and shoot 150's because you have shot more of them and probably have more confidence. Do what you like. David