1911 mods and upgrades?

Discussion in '1911' started by .22guy, May 27, 2007.

1. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Hey guys,
    I got my Springfield Armory mil-spec 1911 a while ago. It's a great gun and I enjoy it a lot. I keep telling myself to leave it alone, it's a fine gun the way it is. But I'm getting the itch to tinker with it a little.

So what are the best/easiest/least expensive ways to upgrade this gun? Looking for your opinions! :feedback: :) Thanks!

Russ
  2. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Is it the GI or the Mil Spec? I know some people call the GI a Mil-Spec, but the Mil-Spec is slightly better.

If it is the true Mil-Spec, I'd probably guess the trigger, and maybe sights? Although the sights that come on it aren't that bad, much better than the GI sights. Maybe upgrade the hammer?

I know there are people out there that will have better and more reliable opinions than my own. :)
  3. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Add a Wilson Combat Adjustable trigger,a Wilson Combat Value line Sear,and Value line Hammer, and An STI Titanium Hammer Strut. Add a 16 to 18.5 lb Nowlin Recoil spring, A match Grade Nowlin sear Spring, Hammer spring and HD Firing pin spring... You will be amazed at the difference !
    Rich
  5. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

See? I knew someone here would know what they're talking about :09:

Moose, for future reference for myself, how much would all of these upgrades cost?
  6. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Thanks Moose! Those sound sweet. Do they all have to be gunsmith installed?
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The heart of any semi-auto is it's magazine - make sure you have good ones! I like the MecGar magazines, half the price of Ed Brown and Wilson Combat and just as good!
    A beavertail is great if you have big hands like me - the stock grip-safety spur chews my hand!
    A better trigger is good, but I'd not try to "tighten" the action any - that often reduces reliability. A good defense pistol needn't be a tack-driver.
  8. Moss500Bantam

Moss500Bantam G&G Newbie

Personal pref. I like the long trigger of any good quality as mentioned by the gentleman.

A flat mainspring housing. The guts parts will improve the shootability for sure
  9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If you can disassemble the 1911, you can install these parts easily and re-assemble it yourself...No fitting required for these.

Wilson Combat Adjustable Trigger...15.95
    Titanium Strut...14.55
    Wilson Value Hammer...23.95
    Wilson Value Sear...14.95
    Nowlin Recoil spring(16 or 18.5)..4.70
    Nowlin HD firing pin spring...1.89
    Nowlin Hammer Spring...1.87
    Nowlin Match grade sear spring...4.59
    Total for parts= 82.45
    Doing an upgrade yourself...Priceless!
    Rich
  10. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

That sounds really good. Thanks for the price list Moose. :werd:

Is any of that going to tighten the action and possibly reduce reliablity like Big Dog mentioned?
  11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have a junk box with 1911 parts.I just keep changing and maybe polishing parts until everything works.It,s fun and more intresting than tv.I have placed well in competition for years this way.I also only work on one problem at a time. samuel.
  12. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Those mods (broken down by price) sound good. I'm thinking of avoiding the tighter-fitting bushing and having frame rails tightened - the things done for 'raceguns' and high-end comp guns. Great for competetive shooting, but the guns get very intolerant of ammo and dirt. Not good if it is to be your 'go to' gun for defense.
    I like fatter grip panels too - another bonus for us with big hands.
  13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I like the Crimson Trace Laser Grips I put on mine. Which also has had the Wilson Combat Matrch Grade barrel and fitted bushing installed and a trigger job and skeleton hammer put in by a real gunsmith. Notice considerably tighter groups immediately.
  14. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Not going to tighten the slide any, if thats what you are asking...That is best left to a pro with the right tool. The Mods I listed will improve Trigger action, Improve functioning, and speed up locktime, and reduce the chance of problems, by having Better parts installed...And better Springs.
    Rich
  15. remchuck

remchuck G&G Newbie

on my parts gun i installed the following:an ed brown videki trigger,an ed brown plunger tube with wilson tube spring,an ed brown barrel bushing,an ed brown hardcore slide stop,an ed brown mag release with wilson lock and wolff spring,an ed brown extended thumb safety,hogue wrap around grips,and an ed brown recoil spring guide rod.all parts were drop-in or very close except the thumb safety which required extensive fileing.
  16. Summerleas

Summerleas G&G Newbie

If your gun can shoot well and cycle reliably I would leave it alone and just install an ambi safety and a beaver tail grip safety...which requires a new hammer ( I believe...no gunsmith here). Sights of your preference would probably be my first upgrade.
  17. TheZedd

TheZedd G&G Newbie

Where do you get these upgrades? and would anyone reccomend Compressors or Vented slides? My bud seems hung up on them and I don't see much of a point.

I'm also looking for upgrades to My Sig P226, I just have no idea where to get any of this kind of stuff.