1918 Enfield SMLE III*

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Chris61289, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Chris61289

Chris61289 G&G Regular

I picked up this 1918 Enfield SMLE back in 2007 or 2008 for $75 at an auction. There isn't a whole lot to it really. Some bubba did a number on the stock of this rifle. It's real ugly, but the couple times I did shoot it, it shot pretty accurate. It has all the numbers matching except the rear sight which was force matched with the original SN struck out. Since the time I bought it and shot it, it's been sitting in my safe doing nothing. I wanted to restore it, but Enfields really aren't my specialty unfortunately, and I'm trying to unload it (a lil pun intended i guess) in hopes of obtaining an M44 soon. It has no import markings on it anywhere. If you're interested in restoring this rifle, shoot me a PM.
  2. fuzzy

fuzzy G&G Regular

PM sent to you.
  3. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

I have one just like it, only mine has 1917 on it and the 7 has been overstamped with an 8. Strange, looks like it was done at the factory, like they forgot the year had changed. Anyway, same story, Bubba done sawed the stock all up. Metal's all intact, and I've bought a couple complete stocks to try and restore it with. Just gotta get a roundtuit.
  4. Chris61289

Chris61289 G&G Regular

One thing I've been wondering about my Mk III*, on the left side of the receiver just under the charger bridge, there is a screw, was this for a scope mount?
  5. Beerhunter

Beerhunter G&G Regular

Nope. It is for the Ejector Screw. Sounds like yours is missing.
  6. timberlord

timberlord G&G Newbie

The end of the screw sticks out of the inner side , just enough to help tip the spent case slightly, while pulling back the bolt , to aid in a positive ejection.
    A properly operating rifle will still eject a case without it.
    These are found on the No4/5 series as well.

There are some "no-smithy" scopemounts that use the ejector screwhole ( they'll supply the proper screw).

1916 BSA Mklll* w' a B-Square mount.
    A "restoration" ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. Beerhunter

Beerhunter G&G Regular

Nope. The ejector screw is to eject unfired rounds. Empty cases will eject just fine without it.
  8. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

I love my SMLE. New stocks and other parts are pretty cheap, available over the internet. Mine was built in 1918, the stock has been replaced. Shoots just fine, and I plan on taking her hunting for Aoudad this year.

Jim
  9. Chris61289

Chris61289 G&G Regular

It's not missing. I never said it wasn't there, I just didn't know what the screws purpose was. Everything needed for it to function is intact. Just missing all the hardware (Complete stock, swivels, nosecap, etc.)
  10. Beerhunter

Beerhunter G&G Regular

Forgive me, I missed that bit.

Anyway, now you know. It is the ejector screw and is for ejecting unfired rounds.