1937 Ithaca shotgun

Discussion in 'Ithaca' started by rmarrion, Apr 5, 2008.

1. rmarrion

rmarrion G&G Newbie

These are pictures of my great grandfathers 1937 Ithaca Double Barrel Shotgun. It was given to me by my grandfather and I was wondering if you could tell me anything about this, such as how much it is worth. I don't plan on selling it! There is also a picture of the case it came in, and the serial # is 428-224
    ask if you want to see more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

WOW !!!! Great shotgun feller !!! I can't tell you anything about it other than you been blessed.
    The prices on that sale paper is about what that stuff sells for here and you ought to go fetch you some of that Vitimin E while it's buy 1 and get 1 free...A.H
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  3. Earl Easter

Earl Easter G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Hey rmarrion
    Nice double,i have been looking around the net and viewed 27 pages to try to help ya, i could not find anything that seems to resemble what ya have. The serial no. seems to be much earlier than a 1937. Ithaca made a model 37 Featherlight but that is a pump slide.
    I have the 12Ga. the 20Ga. and the 16Ga. made in the 1950's. That is what interested me in trying to help you. It looks like a 12 Ga. from the pictures, and i also noticed the woodcock engraving on the receiver. Hammerless Double Barrels with that Ser. No. also seem to indicate the shotguns from field grade on up in No.1 Grade,No.2 Grade No. 3 Grade,No.4E Grade and so on up to No.7E Grade. Auto Ejectors are standard on the "E" Grades. Maybe measure the barrel length. Check to see if ya see 12Ga. anywhere on the
    gun,shell dia. and post some more pixs and some one with more experience could answer you better than i. Ithaca also made what they call Mag-10 Standard, a "Dollar Grade".

Hey good luck, sorry i wasn't that much of a help. But i'll still look around..sure is a fine looking shotgun...
  4. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Suspended

5. Dbl gun

Dbl gun G&G Newbie

I don't know too much about Ithaca doubles, but it looks like a Grade 2 NID Model from the engraving and "star". There were several models through the years, Crass, Lewis, Minier, Flues and the NID being the last. Year and serial number would be correct for NID. Value wise, probably $ 7-800.00 I would guess. Period case adds another $ 100 or so. Being your Great Grandfathers makes it absolutely invaluable!! You are very lucky. Hope this helps.
  6. Earl Easter

Earl Easter G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

rmarrion
    The leather case is a classic sir. Take care of her.

rmarrion
    This double is what i believe to be the closest to your double as found. It came with two barrels. So minus the one barrel minus the condition of your gun could be a fair judge. Hope the web site provided works for ya.
    Ithaca Model 3E 2 Barrel Set 12 Gauge - GunsInternational.com
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  7. Kodiak32

Kodiak32 G&G Regular Forum Contributor

rmarrion, nice shotgun.

I agree with Dbl gun, I think it's a model called the "New Ithaca Double" (NID), produced from 1925 to 1948.

Here's a link that covers the serial number ranges Double Barreled Shotguns, High Grade Shotgun dates of production doublegunshop.com - shotgun gun firearm SxS Side-by-side.

After the 1934 model the cocking indicators were removed from the design of the shotgun.

This model was availible in different engraving grades.The grade number should be located opposite of the serial number on the reciver, by the gauge #. It was offered in "field" grade (basic) and numbered grades of 1e thru 7e, along with the "sousa" grade (highest).

Here's a link to one that looks simular to yours ITHACA NID #2 12GA 28" - GunsInternational.com