1943 Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 $380

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by spinecracker, Feb 27, 2010.

1. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

Want to sell a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 manufactured at the Birmingham Small Arms Company, England in 1943. It underwent FTR (factory thorough refurbishment) in 1949 at the ROF (Royal Ordnance Factory), Fazakerley, England, was rebarrelled at this time, and had minor repairs to the butt and forestocks (normal for rifles used in drill practice). The barrel is actually dated 1948, and after about May 1949 the factories started making No.4 Mk.2s and converting No.4 Mk.1s and Mk.1*s to No.4 Mk1/2s and 1/3s (it gets confusing after a while), so this rifle left the factory after refurbishment between January and May 1949.

The attached scope is a Tasco Pronghorn 2-9x32, mounted to the rifle with an S&K instamount with S&K rings (The scope is pretty cheap but quite tough and has reasonable optics, and the mount sells new at about $85-90).

Condition of the rifle is very good for a 67 year old warhorse. The woodwork is in very good condition, except for some slight dings and the very minor repairs previously noted (all repairs were made by qualified British Army armourors, and they are a fussy bunch when it comes to details). The external metalwork finish is in very good condition, with some loss of the finish at the muzzle and the neighbouring endcaps, and some slight wear over the high points of the receiver, as would be expected. Bore is shiny with sharp rifling. Serial numbers are matching on the receiver, bolt, forestock and magazine (force match at time of FTR). This rifle does not come with the original peep sights, but they can be bought online for $25-$35, depending where you look.

Pictures are available at Photobucket:

Pictures by spinecracker - Photobucket

(I had trouble uploading photos onto this thread, so my pardon).

The pumpkin in the album is 4 inches in diameter, and I put 12 rounds through it in a 1" grouping at 100 yards (the 2 holes off to the side were warm up shots).

Rifle is worth $330, scope mount and rings $90 and scope $45. I will take $380+shipping via Fedex, or $380 FTF. I am based in Reno, NV. PM me if interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

Bump, with price reduced to $370 + shipping.
  3. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

Why do all the rifles I want come available when I have no money?!?! Oh the horror!!!
  4. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

I know what you mean lol. She is a nice rifle, and it would be a shame to sell her, but I am after a different Enfield, onlt need 1 rifle (as my wife reminds me) and I have to simplify the calibers I want around the place.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Only problem is I already have a No.4, looking at a No.5 right now.
  6. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

Good luck with finding a No.5 at a reasonable price. They can be found, but they are getting more popular, and therefore more expensive (why didn't I buy a crateload 10 years ago???). If I find one, I'll let you know.
  7. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

Can you sell a kidney?:33:
  8. frenchy

frenchy G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

ooww now that's an option I hadn't thot of buddy!! :scratchchin:
  9. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

You could sell a part of your liver - that will grow back, but a kidney won't lol.
  10. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

Price dropped to $360 plus shipping. I have other projects to finance lol.
  11. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

Bump time. Got other projects to finance lol.
  12. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

13. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

1st bump of the month :)
  14. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

Spinecracker: You guys never live in the Mid-south, other than 'Mike 82'.

Your rifle is beautiful, and especially with that scope, it has a very bewitching allure.
    Have you guys seen the cool photo of the British/Aussie sniper with his scoped #4 who aims uphill during the nasty battle at Monte Cassino, Italy?

Classic battle rifles: resistance is futile. Why subject yourself any longer to such torment?
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  15. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

Laufer, I really, REALLY do not want to sell it, but I have just bought an Enfield Enforcer (those go for $4000 to $5000 as there are less than 300 left in the world), so it must make way for the new toy. The S&K mount is excellent and rock hard, and it does not need any modification to the receiver - a huge bonus. It also does not detract from the lines of the rifle, and I like the look of it alot. The scope is cheap, but the optics are pretty good, even at dusk, and I would have no problems dragging it through the rough in search of game. The wood is smooth and well looked after, and it just got another coat of linseed oil. Lee Enfield No.4s are typically 2 MOA rifles from what I have been able to tell (the Enforcer is a 1/2 MOA rifle, if I do my bit), but I've managed to get 1 MOA out of the old girl on a sunny and calm day.

I have seen the photo, and one day may own a No.4 T, but that would be another $4000 I don't have now lol.
  16. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

Several months ago the owner of a very small gun shop ("Phil's") on Summer Ave. here in Memphis brought out his mint (one scratch in wood) so-called 4T from the 'Back Room', maybe not all authentic, wanting $599 for it.

If I could easily drive to your 'Wessex in Nevada', I would buy it right now.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  17. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

Well, I am not marketing the rifle as a No.4 T, or even a clone lol. It is a No.4 Mk.1 with a good scope mount and a reasonable scope. I was at the Big Reno Show this weekend, and plenty of people were selling beaten up Enfields for $250 to $350, so I think the rifle is a steal at the price I want for it lol. It is definitely worth the shipping charges, too :p

I did pick up one bargain at the show - a 1941 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1. Only between 8,000 and 10,000 were made in 1941 (out of the millions of Enfield No.4s produced in the UK, US and Canada), and plenty ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic. There may be 1000 to 1500 of these rifles left in the world, and I got one for $325. With a little care, it may make up to $1000 - you never know :)
  18. Trotzdem

Trotzdem G&G Newbie

It is difficult to tell the price of a weapon that has more virtous value than practical.

I personally was offered a #4 Mk.1 in Germany at a price of 400 €, and I would have bought it if I could have afforded it. It had the same number on the bolt and on the receiver of the rifle.

That is special because after the end of the war for some reason they took all the bolts out of the rifles and stored them seperately. Then some people took a lot of time and put some of the matching bolts and rifles back together.

The right price for such a rifle is that that the buyer is willing to pay. It has nothing to do with the actual practical value of the weapon.
  19. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

In spite of that (no pun intended) lack of cash, do you have a #4 or another LE?
  20. spinecracker

spinecracker G&G Newbie

Me? I have 3 Enfields - the 1943 BSA No.4 Mk.1, a police-issued Enfield Enforcer and a 1941 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1 (Long Branches were typically No.4 Mk.1*s - different and simpler method of bolt release). That is my collection - for now - it may be getting smaller in the near future lol. Because the Enforcer and 1941 Long Branch are so rare, I could not pass up the chance to buy them as I would probably not see their kind again, even though this has put me in a bit of a financial pickle (I got REALLY good deals on them because both sellers did not fully appreciate what they had - some of my fellow Enfield collectors at another forum have been looking for either rifle for years, even decades, without luck). I am not going to put the Long branch or Enforcer up for sale any time soon, so the 1943 BSA has to be the one to go to help pay for the others.