1lb Propane bottles - how long can they be stored?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by scribe, Sep 15, 2008.

1. scribe

scribe G&G Newbie

This from Frugal's forums.

theyeti1775

1lb Propane bottles - how long can they be stored?

Just a quick question, was wondering how long the little 1lb propane bottle (used for cook stoves) could be stored for?

Found myself at Wal-Mart last night and noticed they had an over abudance of them on the shelves.

Answers :

Dave

The propane can never go bad, only the container. Keep them rust free . I'm using a bottle from 1994 in my shop today. All I orginally did was wipe it vasoline and kept the cap on.

Jerry D Young

I had one that was over twenty years old. Worked just fine.

Warning reply against use of petroleum jelly etc. on threads of tanks.

medicineman

Not that I think anyone isn't smart....

But remember to NOT put any petroleum oil/grease/jelly into, on, or around the threads or the area of the valve.

Oil + pressure = BOOM

And that's your safety tip for the day.

LOL

Correction on use of petroleum jelly on tanks.

Dave

I'd sure like some reference on your end mediceman.

I've been able to find half a dozen credible references for using Vaseline on tank fittings from Propane tanks but none against.

It's always been common practice as far as I was originally taught when I built my first propane forge nearly 20 years ago. It still is according to my Propane delivery man when I asked yesterday.

If something has changed over the last 20 years I'd really like to know for all the obvious reasons.

Below is reference from a propane Co., in a California where lawsuits and over regulation is the rule of the day.

Propane Sales and Service at Cal U-Rent...

" DETECTING LEAKS: In its’ natural state, propane is an odorless gas. A foul smell has been added to it so that you can detect any leak. If you suspect a leak in any propane tank system (including lines and connections) put soapy water on the suspect area and see if it bubbles. A good idea to reduce chances of any leak at your line connection to the tank is to coat the threads with Vaseline prior to connection. Remember that the threading is reverse and you must go in a counter-clockwise direction when tightening the line to the tank. "

end quotes.

I hope this is useful to those who use propane.
  2. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

The real rule is No Petroleum products on OXYGEN cylinders!
  3. scribe

scribe G&G Newbie

Thanks ! :wink1:
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Petroleum combined with oxygen under pressure causes an effect called "dieseling". Gets real interesting if you accidentally use petroleum oil in an air rifle - adds a bit of velocity. Can be dangerous if taken to the extreme.
  5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Petroleum mixed with Pure Oxygen = EXPLOSION !
    Propane and Petroleum will not react with each other..
    Never Oil Oxygen Bottle threads, your regulator will become a Missile !
  6. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Also, if a compressor leaks oil while filling up a scuba bottle, breathing the oil can cause lipoid pneumonia.
  7. Hobbit

Hobbit G&G Newbie

Some compressors you can use, but they have to be dry whe you get them. (not filled with oil) You can use monolic oil, its pricey, but you won't have premanent lung damage.
  8. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Speaking of the extended life of properly stored propane, and how it is superior to gasoline in a stored state, I've been gathering info from this company about converting my gasoline generators over to use propane, natural gas and gasoline...

Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.

My wife looked into getting a 250+ gallon propane tank set up on property, so we have an extended fuel source for our home and generators.

Thanks for the thread on life of propane and cautionary posts by others...

Here's an additional bit of helpful FAQs on gasoline to propane conversions:
    http://www.propane-generators.com/buyers-guide.htm
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  9. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Yeah, I've heard about it with oxygen, but not propane.

Though, I have tried many times spraying oxygen (from my OxyAcetylene setup) at different amounts, types, and in different methods, and Ive never been able to get anything to happen. Though, I could see if it was under pressure it would make a difference.
  10. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Newbie

Back in the early sixties I worked for Hamilton Standard Division of United Aircraft at Bradley Field in Windsor, Ct.

One of our projects was to build a Liquid Oxygen Refueling and Purging system for Gemini-Apollo missions on a flat bed trailer. We had to assemble the whole thing in a Class “A” White-Room.

They explained to us that any oil, even a finger print on a fitting could cause an explosion when it came in contact with LOX.

We had a giant vat of methylethylketone to do an initial wash of parts entering the white room and then the parts went through a wash in industrial Freon.

After that they were put under a black light to make sure there was less than six microns of foreign material. Contamination glows white under the black light.

Even with all these precautions the complete system was then purged with alcohol to make sure there was no grease or oil present.

In addition, the entire white room had epoxy floors, ceiling and walls that were washed down with alcohol before each work shift.

I’d say they convinced me that grease and LOX do not mix.
  11. farmer37

farmer37 G&G Newbie

First caution they are prone to leakage.Second they can become airborne in a house fire.I saw one come thru a wall with a bang at a house fire 10 years ago .
  12. Srchdawg

Srchdawg G&G Newbie

Hey livetoshoot that place in your link is about 65 miles from me

Chuck
  13. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

They make a pretty good product...

...worth checking out.