20 gauge shotgun ammo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mc24, Oct 2, 2009.

1. mc24

mc24 G&G Newbie

i got a mossberg 20 gauge for home protection. figured that would be good for my wife to shoot if ever i wasnt at home. went to the local walmart and got a box of federal multi purpose load. would that be good enough ammo for home defense or would you guys recommend something else. new to the shotgun world. any advise is appreciated. thanks.
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Terminal ballistics tests conclude that birdshot is not adequate to deliver a wound severe enough to completely disable an assailant in all cases.This includes tests run by FBI.I will not advise against their findings at this time altho in another thread I stated I felt it was adequate.Personal experience with shotguns for stopping power was in combat and they had either #4buck or #00buck. #4buck delivers less than half the energy for individual pellets that 00buck does.#4buck often left dangerous blood trails to be followed and sometimes the enemy was not found or lives were lost following blood trails.00buck was almost always fatal and the enemy was right where they fell.However in a HD situation the full charge would probably hit the intruder and that is a different scenario.Some tests show that any shot from BB which stands for birdshot-buckshot (the smallest buckshot)through 00buckshot is adequate for HD.In 20ga I believe #3buck is the largest you can get.That is as large as I have seen. ,,,sam.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  3. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

According to this Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem? they make #2 buckshot for the 20 gauge. I'd personally look for the largest buckshot size there is (the smaller the number, the larger the pellet). Remington makes a managed recoil buckshot round that your wife may find more pleasant.

I'm personally shopping for a HD shotgun that my wife can handle. I've gotta Moss 500 12 gauge for me, but if she had to pull off a second shot with it, I doubt she'd be able to. Doesn't help that I have it loaded with 3" mag 00 buckshot.
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

I'm with Samuel

Birdshot is just not what you want for home defense. I work on the theory that a home invader is quite possibly on some mind altering drug(s) legal or not plus that person may have on some type body armor.

Therefore, I alternate in my Remington 12 gauge 870 slug and double ought buckshot loads.
  5. bigb831

bigb831 G&G Newbie

go back to walmart and pick up a couple boxes of 3buckshot. was $5 a box last week when i picked some up for my mossy 20 ga. or if you know someone who reloads have them make you some 00 buckshot. slugs are good to have too.
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

Depends, 7 1/2 shot will not penetrate more than one wall made of dry wall so safer for home defense, buck will go thru about 2 walls and if a shotgun is used then you still must aim at such close ranges.
    I have 7 1/2 or 6 sized shot in mine, don't want to get the people next door.
  7. Metronome

Metronome G&G Newbie

I was kinda wondering the same thing, but in my recent searches, the closest thing I could find to a defensive load with the 20 gauge was slugs, or a steel load of BB in a 3" shell - not ideal, but I am sure it would work better than #7 1/2's.
  8. captsquirrel

captsquirrel G&G Newbie

I keep #4 shot handy for my 20 ga. A tidy amount of shot and not too much over penetration.
  9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

Slugs have a tendency to go thru multiple walls, just know what is on the other side of them!
  10. gunner-mk19

gunner-mk19 G&G Newbie

I am in the same situation. I have a new 20ga. double-barrel that only says "3in. chamber" and on the other side says "use lead shot only". Is it going to blow up if I use slugs? I bought rifled slugs for the smooth barrell. What happens if I shoot steel shot through it? Thanks