22-250 and 25-06 ??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

What can you all tell me about the 22-250 remington and 25-06? What are they good for? Accurate? Recoil? (ok silly ?? from someone who plinks with 45cal rifles but still a ??).
    Im realy struggeling to "justafy" a new rifle and Im kicking these and a 308 or 270 around....Plan to replace my MAS 36 in 308.....will be used for 100 yr soda can shooting.... but may have a chance next season to learn how to deer hunt...dont want too much/little rifle.
  2. Roy Collins

Roy Collins G&G Newbie

I had a friend that had a 22.250 and he swore by it for Coyotes in Iowa and SD. I have never shot one myself but I value this man's opinion. I have shot the 2506 and I can tell you it will do anything you need done short of really big game. I think it would make a fine sniper rifle.
  3. colt45

colt45 G&G Newbie

Occupied Territories of New York (Buffalo)
    22-250 very fast round , light, versitile, very good varmint round.
    25-06 fast, medium weight bullet, good large varmint and thin skined large game like white tail deer. some say a lil over bore for small varmints but i think its a good all around calliber.
    recoil on both are less than a 308. but energy on the 25 is more than the 308 with some loads.
    if you are takeing 100 yrd max shots both would be wasted. they are both 300 yrd plus rounds.
    and cost more per box for just shooting targets.
  4. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

i like what tc said about the 257 roberts, an old caliber, but a dang good deer hunting rifle, DANA knows a lot about this caliber, ive been tring to find one but they are expensive these days, and ammo hard to get, back in my youth (40 years ago) the roberts was king of the hill in deer hunting
  5. whirlwind

whirlwind G&G Enthusiast

their both fine calibers,but if i was going to get a 22-250 or 25.06 id go and get a 220 swift! excellant accuracy, and so fast its frightening! wish i never sold mine :(
  6. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

7. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

8. colt45

colt45 G&G Newbie

Occupied Territories of New York (Buffalo)
    we have a 220 swift ruger 77 tang safe, with a fixed leopold 12 power scope at the shop now
  9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

10. Rufus Rhastus J

Rufus Rhastus J Senior Member

West, Central Florida, Third World America
    I have to agree with.....

:cool: Colt 45 has hit the nail right on the head. I decided to think about it a while, which I did. Colt 45 make valid points and, it seems, rules out either one for your uses. But, if ou are going to buy one or the other, I prefer the 22-250 because it is so useful. It is very powerful and has excellant range. Ammo, in my area, is easier to find and, less expensive than 25-06. Plus, I have to be honest here, I have no experiance with the 25-06. However, a look-see at the atlas -O-cart. tells me that it is a good round and is available in many differant bullet weights, more so than the 22-250. Hummmmmm.......now I can't decide!:cool:
  11. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Don't overlook the 6mm's/243 class.

7mm/08 is a slick round too.

Also some of the new Short Magnums look pretty good.
  12. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Intersting, a Florida Connection

What's the Best Gun for Your Type of Hunting?
    Hunters have for years been debating, weighing the options, and downright arguing at times, over what is actually a very simple question: What type and/or caliber gun will serve a hunter the best? I've found that there is no one answer to this question, and each of us must seek the qualifications we need. Above all, we need to be comfortable and familiar with our chosen firearm.

The options available to us can be overwhelming. There are bolt-actions, lever-actions, semi-automatics, pump-actions, and even some seldom-used rolling- and falling-block actions out there, and they come in a wide-ranging selection of calibers. The first thing you'll need to do is to consider where you're going to be hunting, and what game you will be pursuing. For the purposes of this article, I will be concentrating on deer hunting.

While I'm no expert on ballistics, I do have experience, both direct and indirect, with what I classify as the "two sides of the debate": Heavy, larger-caliber, relatively slow-moving bullets, and light, small-caliber, high-velocity bullets. Both will, and have, killed deer, and both can do it well. Let's look at which choice may be better for your unique hunting situation.

Here in my native state of Florida, most of our hunting woods are thick, meaning that visibility is usually quite low. The average distance that I've identified and killed bucks is about 30-40 yards. I have shot deer as close as 10 feet from the base of my tree, and as far away as 115 yards, but the average gives you a pretty good idea of what I've come to expect. We do have areas that afford hunters quite an expansive view, mostly the multi-acre scars known as clearcuts, left by logging operations, but by and large, most of our hunting is done close-in. In view of this, I prefer a heavy, slow bullet in a light, agile carbine. I get the most for my effort; when I have to act quickly, the short, light carbine is easy to handle, and at those close ranges, my 240 grain bullet will deliver a solid, deadly punch. Out of 16 deer and 5 hogs shot with that Ruger .44 semi-auto carbine, none have ever been lost. And like I said, the farthest shot ever taken was 115 yards. Within those bounds, it's just a great choice.

Of course, if I were to spot a buck across a clearcut, 200 yards away, I would be more comfortable with something like a 30-06. The reason for this is that, although the .30 caliber bullet's diameter and weight (usually around 150 grains) are both smaller than my pet .44's, it travels at a much higher speed, or velocity. Since it doesn't carry as much "punch", or energy, as the .44, it will carry the energy that it does have considerably farther. Small diameter, high-velocity bullets such as the 30-06, .308, .243, 7mm, .300 Win. Mag., etcetera, are also considered to be more efficient for the task of penetration (although in a whitetail deer hunting situation, I have shot a 240 grain .44 slug all the way through a buck, end-to-end, so I don't hold to this rule).

Another factor is the type of sights you will use. For close-in shooting, I prefer a peep, or aperture, sight. This is basically a rear sight that has a small hole instead of a blade/notch affair. The aperture is mounted farther to the rear than conventional iron sights, to allow a longer sighting plane and ease of viewing through the peep. Coupled with an easy-to-see bead on the front sight, this is absolutely the fastest and easiest iron sight to use. There is no worry about your sight picture; your eye will automatically center the front bead in your view, so all you need to do is put that bead on the right spot and whammo! he's yours.

For longer-distance shooting, a scope will probably serve most of us better than any other choice. Like the peep, once you're sighted in, you just find the target in your field of view, put the crosshairs on the "sweet spot", and squeeze the trigger. Scopes have the added advantage of magnifying your target, as well, which can be very helpful in a long-range hunting situation.

The basic question is, will you be in a situation that requires quick, close-up action, or one that will allow you to find an appropriate rest to steady your aim, and let you shoot at ranges beyond 100-150 yards? If your main hunting ground is densely packed with underbrush, I recommend a short, fast- handling rifle, preferably a semiautomatic or other fast-action gun, like a lever-action or pump, or perhaps a shotgun loaded with buckshot (probably the fastest combination there is, although its range is severely limited). If you have the advantage of being in the great wide open, and expect to get shots at long range, go for one of the high-velocity choices, and top your rifle with a scope. A bolt-action may well be sufficiently fast enough for follow-up shots for this type of hunting, as the quarry will not be likely to leave your view quickly after the first shot.

In closing, whatever gun you choose, know your target and what's beyond it, don't rush but don't dally (my Dad always says, "Take your time, but hurry up!"), and practice with your chosen firearm. While you're waiting for the deer, put the gun to your shoulder and put the sights on a palmetto frond or stump. Imagine different scenarios, various directions the deer may come from, and practice taking those shots (without actually firing, of course). Familiarity with your gun will help you make the kill when the time does come.
  13. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

i have 3 basic rifles I hunt with, first we dont have white tail in mew mexico only mulies and lots of elk, a mule deer is about 1.5 times the size of a white tail, we also have lots of antelope, now if im hunting in thick brush and close quarters I prefer the 30-30, old cartridge but under 100 yards it will cut through thick under brush,I dont really no much about ballistics. this is just experience, it will also work for cow elk well, if im strictly hunting for deer in 100-250 yard range, i prefer my 760 gamemaster in 300 savage, however if im on the plains of southern new mexico, the rem 7mmag with an old redfield 3X9 is the ticket, i hit an antelope some years ago at about 400 yards( I was aiming at the lead one and hit the one 10 yards behind, man they can motor) 130 grain hornandy and it sort of spattered him, i probably got about 50 pounds of meat, thats my philosophy, heavy under brush --slow moving heavy bullet---ranges over 250 yards high velocity
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  14. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

25-05 is accurate as he l l IMHO. Good round depending on application. I love the .257 Roberts personally. That's my favorite round. Roger that, TC300.
  15. countryboy1031

countryboy1031 G&G Newbie

22-250 and 25-06

I have both in a remington model 700 and they are fantastic the 22-250 will out shoot any bench rest guns you put it up to i load all my own ammo and havent met any one who can even come close to beating me when it comes to ballistics accurracy speed etc. if loaded with a 60 grain sp it will easily take down a big muley buck at not much farther than 100 yards. The i have the 25-06 in remington model 700 and ruger m77 they are guns and very good caliber both for accuracy and ballistics again i load my own ammo and get very serious about it i never shoot factory loads thats were you lose your big game again i have out shot many others with this gun many say it is hardly enough gun to bring down a deer but it will bring down a big bull elk no problem at 150 yards you just have to be a half decent shot i have also seen it take down big black beaR well. i also only shoot with leupold scopes.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  16. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

First,a .25-06 cannot be loaded to the power a .308 can second,a .25-06 can be loaded to shoot further,flatter and faster than a ,22-250 at extended ranges.Third,a ,22-250 with a 1in14"twist will not stabilise a 60gr bullet.Fourth,no out of the box rifle is going to outshoot a true bench rest setup.Absolutely none! If tin cans at 100yds were my choice of targets between the two guns,I would go .22-250 because the ammo is cheaper.If I thought I might want to hunt deer size game later,I would choose the .25-06 because they will take deer much better than a -250 in most shooters hands. ,,,sam.
  17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

what do ya mean sam, you dont believe his old model 700 22-250 will outshoot ANY BR rifle?!!!i just dont believe someone would come on this forum and try to BS us, it didnt sound to me like he was exagerating, sounded like he was stating facts! hopefully he'll point us to where we can see what his world records look like.
  18. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Youi just Can't BS an old BS'er on this here forum !!!:34:
  19. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Firstly I have no experience with the 25-06 but plenty with a 22-250. The 22-250 is an excellent Varmint cartridge and will comfortably take large varmints out to 200 yards. If allowable, it will do to take small deer at shorter ranges. If the idea is to plink cans, then it gets a bit expensive and if you want to do that & possible deer hunt as well I would go for the .308. Milsurp ammo will let you plink to your heart's desire. If you are into reloading, the 308 will meet all your requirements.
    I have a .22 Hornet & a .22-250 in my gun cabinet and that is where they mostly stay now; the ones I play with most are my 5.56 & 7.62x51.
  20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Thanks LeftyO and Mooseman. (I think???) ,,,sam.