.22 LR for deer hunting?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nc.hunter, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc.hunter

nc.hunter G&G Newbie

Guys. before we get started on the subject I myself would never try and take a deer at any range with a .22 LR bullet, I think its unethical. But, check out this review of CCI Stingers from cheaper than dirt.com.

Top of the Line Bullets
    Reviewer:
    MADDOG
    [​IMG]
    11/22/2008

If your looking for the #1 22 Long Rifle bullet then this is surely it. Top of the line accuraccy and stopping power. You see everyone else talking about it killing squirrels but I've witnessed these bullets actually take down numerous deer from any where from 50 to about 200 yards, if you dont believe me just try it. One shot to the neck or dead on the shoulder can surely do the trick to a big doe and a that monster buck.
  2. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Very funny :D

Shoulder shot at 200 yards with a .22LR killing a deer. Funny.
  3. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

Lol i hope thats a joke. maybe at 50 yards...if shot them in the eyeball.
  4. cremley

cremley G&G Newbie

Colorado, with all the pot smoking libtards -_-
    go to cheaperthandirt.com and post a comment that says, "it is illegal and inhumane to hunt a deer with a .22cal from any range. it will not kill the animal quickly and will most likely injure the animal. Anyone who says otherwise is a complete moron who hasn't held a gun in their life."
  5. dmwphoto

dmwphoto G&G Newbie

good idea Cremly. I will also add that I will not purchase anything from a site that posts this kind of nonsense
  6. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Right, and I bet this same reviewer is also one of them there mall ninjas as well? lmao
  7. elmer fudd

elmer fudd G&G Newbie

lol wow lol i wonder who pulled that out of there @$$ lol
  8. deerhuntertyler

deerhuntertyler G&G Newbie

I'm sure that a .22 could kill a deer if placed PERFECTLY but like some others said, it is compleatly unethicle and stupid. You would 99.99% chance of just injuring the deer and not killing it, this is insain!
  9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

In a SHTF situation, if you were able to creep to within 50 feet of a deer and make a head shot, I suppose you might be able to drop it stunned. But I'd say you'd then have to close in and put two or three more rounds into its head from almost skin touch range to make sure it it's dead before you go to dress it out.

My ex-wife claimed she was into self-sufficiency. (She wasn't, really. What she wanted to be was the Lady of the Manor, an executive giving orders for work others would then perform, not a self-sufficient smallholder. That attitude is one of the many reasons she's my ex-wife.) One time she got the idea of buying a live pig to slaughter. The Mother Earth News had an article explaining how to kill a pig and turn it into hams, chops and bacon. Guess who had to do the dirty work?

The article said, "Put a plate of food in front of the pig. Draw a mental line from its left eye to the right ear, and from the right eye to the left ear. Shoot the animal with a .22 rifle where the lines intersect and it will die quickly and painlessly." In the event, when I followed those instructions, the pig did NOT die quickly and painlessly. The .22 LR round is not up to the task of instantly dispatching a pig with a head shot at a range of less than five feet. It took me three rounds, including a final one with the muzzle literally stuck into the pig's ear, to finish it off. I concluded that if we ever went to slaughter a pig again, I'd use a .30-30 or heavier rifle cartridge to do the job, or perhaps a 9mm pistol.

If a .22 didn't have enough power to do in a pig with one shot at point blank range, what in heaven's name makes the people writing ad copy for CCI think it can possibly drop a deer with one shot?
  10. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Well a .22LR will kill an elephant if you hit it in the right place. It's all in placement. If you try shooting deer at 200yards with it, I'm sure you'll eventually kill one...after a few thousand tries maybe. At 50 yards you could probably kill one with relative ease though.
  11. elmer fudd

elmer fudd G&G Newbie

lol i see your point but to point something out our butcher is a small town butcher he just uses a .22 im pretty sure its lr but anyways he just sticks the steers hogs sheep whatever in the head gate and pop right there and they die just thought i would point that out
  12. Basalt

Basalt G&G Newbie

My grandparents used to butcher a hog every year. It was a family affair, usually with over a dozen people attending.

The process went like this: The hog pen had a V shaped slot with the trough on the other side. The hog was led to his trough in the morning as usual. He was usually a little nervous about why all these strange people were standing around his food trough.

When he had begun to eat Grandma would then slip a 2x4 through a slot to lock his head into the trough.

Grandpa would then shoot him between the eyes from a distance of about 2 to 4 inches with a single shot .22. I never saw this kill a hog outright. What it did was cause the hog to spasm and squeal bloody murder and to try to pull his head out of the trough, exposing his throat. There's nothing quick or painless about it.

Grandma would slip a dish pan under the hog's throat and grandpa would step around into the pen and cut the hogs throat as he struggled. As the hog bled out gramps would go to the back and as soon as the hog had settled down, remove the 'nads. The hog was then hung and gutted.

There followed about 8 hours of the hardest, dirtiest, ickiest work I can remember as a kid - and we kids got the really messy parts. I will spare you the details. Suffice it to say that IMHO paying a good butcher to handle such things is an excellent investment.
  13. ShootFirst

ShootFirst G&G Newbie

I've never seen it but I'm told that the 22LR is the weapon of choice for deer poachers around my home town. I haven't lived there in years but rumor has it that the poachers like it because it's quiet. They allegedly shoot a deer in the neck and it drops on the spot. I'm a bit skeptical myself and would never try it.
  14. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

A hog is one tough customer you guys are compairing apples to oranges in my opinion . There is a reason people use high power rifles to kill wild bores,hogs.
    As a kid we allways used a sledge to the head to kill hogs it drives the spine into the brain game over.
    As far a killing a deer with a 22 you would have to be an unethical boob to try such a thing . Hell I have shot deer on the run with a 270 in the lung heart region that contunued to run a good 200 yards on pure adrenaline the meat was nasty by the way . That was the last deer i shot on the run.
  15. slamfire

slamfire G&G Newbie

Well I'll be darned...just when you thought you've heard everything.... :hmmm:
  16. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i killed an elephant with a .22
    he was standing next to a cliff.
    i shot him in the nads and he fell off....
  17. slamfire

slamfire G&G Newbie

18. bkucek

bkucek G&G Newbie

Nice shootin' billy!!! Thanks for the good chuckle!
  19. FortyXDM

FortyXDM Super Moderator

Hey Billy - Almost the exact thing happened to me. I shot the elephant in the left one with a .22 from way way away, he tumbled over the bluff and fell smack on top of a wildebeast. They were 50 yards apart and I got em both with one 40 gr bullet.
    The great thing was, the taxidermist was closed, but we were able to slide the wildebeast under his door. We had already eaten the elephant
  20. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

We butchered one when i was pretty young, dad killed it perfectly with one shot from his old stevens crackshot 22, shot it just like the guy above said. Guess they are all different, personally i would pry at least use my 22 mag, but i know a 22 will kill a cow just fine. buddy uses that all the time on sick ones. one shot to the forehead and they are done fore.

I would still never hunt deer with it.