22 Mag. for varmints

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by mauser9, Oct 13, 2011.

1. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Just wondering how many others using 22 mag.for fox or coyote and your views on this caliber for close up shots on these varmints. Have had good luck with CCI 40 hollow points on game usually taken at 75 yards. USing Marlin with 2X7 scope. Looking forward to hearing from other varmint hunters having similar luck.
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmm,

I respect the views of others but personally I feel this is underpowered for the game mentioned. I feel the .223 would be more optimal for the game in question.

Best wishes.
  3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Well known is my enmity of the 4 legged wild canines. Although I DO agree with nathan, if a 22mag is all you have and you keep your shots close AND can place those shots with surgical precision then it should do the job.

No matter how much enmity I may have with ANY animal....they deserve a quick and humane end.
  4. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

22 mag for varmints

Thanks for your reply. Realize this cal. has limited range for varmints but rest assured I keep shots under 75 yards and the ones taken have dropped quickly. CCI hollow points can get the job done.
  5. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

I used my 9422M with CCI Maxi Mags and Winchester 40gr JHPs on coyotes in the 1970s on our ranch in Washoe Valley, NV. Today that ranch (the J and L Ranch) is owned by the University of Nevada, Reno, for musicians to perform recitals. It is between the Flying ME and Rocking J Ranch. It is just off old highway 395 in Franktown, NV.

I am astounded you received a very placated reception regarding the .22 WMR on coyotes. The 9422M downed more coyotes in my life than all other rifles to date. That was because we had to protect our livestock from coyotes day and night out there in those days. I put a Weaver D4 on my 9422M and pretty much kept our 10 acres free of coyote attack or prowling quite successfully. I never lost a coyote. One coyote I shot needed a second shot when I got up to him but he was down and out and really didn't need that shot. I killed 10 or so coyotes with that 9422M from 50 yards to 120 yards.

Fact is the .22 Magnum is very close to a Hornet when it comes to doing business on a coyote. Very close. It is the closest thing to center fire than any other rimfire even the .17 HMR which some think is better for obtuse reason.

Those .22 Magnum bullets always passed through all shot. I killed coyotes from 50 to 120 yards and one shot got them all if I wasn't in so much of a hurry to put that "two shot" coyote out of his misery.

Yes a .223 or .22 Hornet is better but when you are not exactly a "bean field shooter" shooting over 300 yards to kill a coyote you don't need a bean shooter with the long and heavy barrel and 10X scope.

Here's my famed 9422M Winchester I am talking about. It's okay to drool if you must. I won't tell anybody:

[​IMG]

(9422M below, 9422 Tribute (LR) above).

Now my 9422M has a Leupold instead of a Weaver D4. It can shoot so why not upgrade the optics?

It still shoots 1.25 MOA easily now with Winchester Supremes. It still shoots 1.5 MOA with CCI Maxi Mags or Winchester 40gr JHPs.

Here is my Hornet (Anschutz with a Weaver T-36) which is probably better to use if your range gets closer to 200 yards.

[​IMG]

I'd choose the Hornet over any .223 and if I needed more than a Hornet I'd just jump the question and go for a .243 or 6mm Remington and let those .223 fans blister in their choice.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  6. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Thank you for your favorable reply on my choice for close up varmint hunting with the 22 Mag. I have found this caliber adequate for varmints at reasonable rangesI didn, t expect everyone to agree but have heard of others like yourself having good luck with well placed shots. I am currently using a marlin 925M topped off with a redheadpursuit 2x7 scope which I may add has proved very adequate. Quite pleased with this rifle for the money Thanks again for your response
  7. PLK51

PLK51 G&G Newbie

sure when I was a kid we'd shoot em with a 22lr 22 magnum is way better bullet and could kill em out to 125 yards but thats all
  8. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

22 Mag for yotes

Back again with good luck on varmints with my trusty Marlin. Using CCI 40 grain hollow points out to 75 yards and drops em cleanly.
  9. Fisch

Fisch G&G Regular

"Those .22 Magnum bullets always passed through all shot. I killed coyotes from 50 to 120 yards and one shot got them all " My hunting friends have said this too...coyote are pretty easy to put down.
  10. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

mauser9, Fiocchi has a 22WMR 40gr JHP and a 40gr JSP also that work quite well at reasonable ranges on coyote sized game. Like the CCIs that you are shooting they are very flat shooting.
  11. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Regular

I grew up hunting coyotes with a 22M, but i tend to find that as they get smarter to my setups, the farther out they stay. I'm comfortable with the 22M to about 75 yards, but nothing irks me more than to have a yote freeze up out there around 200 yards with my holding my 22M. I now use my .308...and they're getting smart to that now.

50 BMG?
  12. MTWillie

MTWillie G&G Newbie

If you can't down them with one well placed shot, put the gun away. I hunt elk furiously, and if you miss by a half inch, it's a matter of seeing a 600+ animal dropping or running miles. Hunting coyotes is very similar. If you can't get them closer than 50 yards, don't bother with a 22 Mag. I won't even shoot one with my .17 HMR.
  13. grizz1874

grizz1874 G&G Regular

i use my marlin bolt or semi sometimes, but i have them both dialed in with 50gr federal hp.i will use it to 100yds tops. after that i use my 223 or bigger
  14. davidnh

davidnh G&G Regular

shot placement is the key and knowing your calibers limitations
  15. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Still here with my marlin 925m and have taken 2 raccoon and 1 coyote with it. Don't stretch distance too far and it will do the job. Those 50 grain slugs are tempting for the larger varmints. Using 40 grain CCis right now. Hell of a lot cheaper than center fire.
  16. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

It is getting closer though. They've really gone up over the last ten years.
  17. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Its not the size of the worm its how you wiggle it .
  18. newheart301

newheart301 G&G Newbie

Took 2 yotes Sat. morning up at my cousin's, he called them in, one at 102, (lazered), and the other at 76 yards. First shot right below left ear...DRT. Second one in right eye...DRT. My CZ 452 Lux loves the Win. 34gn. hp's. The male was 36lbs. female 29. Under 150, I like the 22mag. JMO.
  19. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Have been getting CCI 40 grainers at Wally World for 10 bucks and sometimes Dicks for same or little more. Wish to hell we could buy 22 mag rounds in bulk like 22 LR. Only see them in the 50 round plastic packs. Anyone know of manufacturer selling in boxes of 100 or more.
  20. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

About the best I know of is to just buy a card of ten at the time. This is where the mail order and internet folks shine. Walmart won't give bulk discounts but you may try some other large stores too.