22 magnum compact semi auto?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by PONTIACDM, Jan 20, 2012.

1. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I am contemplating a Walther p-22 purchase in the future. It got me thinking I would love to have one in 22 magnum. I did a search for a compact 22 magnum semi auto. I came up empty handed on the search. I can't believe I didn't find at least one. Anyone know of a model that I may have overlooked? It seems like someone would have produced one by now.
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmm,

the marketplace has spoken. Their is just not such a market for the .22 mag and especially in handguns.

That does not make it a bad idea. Just a non-popular idea when it comes to handguns.
  3. Kad Skirata

Kad Skirata G&G Enthusiast

Minneapolis, AKA: The liberal pit of Sarlacc
    The P-22 is an exceptional rimfire handgun. If you want a .22 Mag Kel-Tec makes the PMR-30. 30 round mags, poly. They run from $300-$500 online, and reviews I have seen they seem to perform well.
  4. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

pmr 30 is your only option. it is a full sized pistol though.
  5. Kad Skirata

Kad Skirata G&G Enthusiast

Minneapolis, AKA: The liberal pit of Sarlacc
    Full sized and than some. But extremely light.
  6. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Actually, there is another option, but you'll only find it used.

The Grendel P-30.
    Made by George Kellgren, who also made the Keltec PMR-30.

The hiccup and reason you don't see many .22WMR semi-auto weapons, is that most of 'em have issues...which start with the round itself.
    It was never ever meant for use in semi-autos...the case is long & skinny, and hangs in the chamber after firing.
    Bolt, lever, & slide actions handle it easily...but semi-auto's have had HUGE issues...
    Oil? use sparingly...as in, one drop applied all over the action & bolt. That's IT. Excess oil can get into the chamber and turn into glue.

Ruger's 1022M has been put into production and then stopped 5 times so far.
    AMT's Automag II sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...
    The Grendels...all three models held 30-rds per mag, work pretty well...IF you follow the Goldenloki instructions on 'em. Worked on mine :D
    GoldenLoki.com
    Marlin's 922M worked quite well, but didn't sell so well, so it got discontinued.
    Excel's Accelerator worked alright, but its pricey and only holds 10 rounds.

Now as far as concealability, the Grendel P-30 is the most concealable of the bunch.
    Its about the size of a Taurus 24/7 compact when you remove the barrel extension/flash-hider & about the same width.
    Here's what the Grendel series looks like.
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps :)
  7. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

they need to make a threaded barrel for one. i have an AAC element just begging to make a pmr 30 quiet
  8. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Big Shrek that firearm is ugly! Lol Thanks for the input guys. I guess Ill have to be content with the P-22.
  9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Definitely Buck Roger's type of guns ;)

After you shoot one that's functioning properly, they grow on ya fast...they get E.T ugly/cute ;)
    I love the unusual factor...they do draw a crowd at the range every time :D
  10. Michael Allen

Michael Allen G&G Newbie

11. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

Like Shrek says, there are other options but all will be in the used gun market and somewhere close to impossible to find.

Manufacture of a semi-auto .22mag was a challenge and each make has had issues (don't know about the PM-30) which made them basically un-marketable...couple that with the price of .22mag ammo.

The best bet and easier to procure is a revolver chambered for .22mag.

Charter Arms has a Pathfinder chambered for .22mag; in fact they produce a combo .22lr/.22mag...or you could go to Ruger and/or Heritage for their combo single-action guns.

BUT for a semi-auto my vote goes to the Automag II produces by AMT and IAI. All steel except for the grips) not plastic...just keep it clean.

Hmmm...that Taurus looks good.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  12. oldjarhead

Will wonders never cease...I attended a gun-show after my previous post; and after looking up the prices for Automag II pistols. Prices on Gunbroker ranged from $525 - $700 believe that or not. One had a lesser bid but RNM. Whew!

My main intentions were to pick up some parts for a project. I came home with the parts and an addition to my inventory...Yep, a 4", .22 mag AutoMag II in excellent condition but, unfortunately, without the box or paper-work.

Quick initial range report: It shoots good...just a function test; next will be for accuracy.

I guess I need to stop posting on G&G, and no research, prior to going to a gun show for the elusive "want" guns. This is twice now, this has happened.
  13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

How much didja cough up for it? :D

And yeah, watch that chamber...you'll see what I mean.
    Absolutely make certain that NO OIL is in it before firing...it'll turn to glue so fast it'll make yer head spin.
  14. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

Here is mine.............

Attached Files:

15. Zapp Branigan

Zapp Branigan G&G Newbie

Problem with a "compact" auto or even revolver in 22 Mag is the cartridge is very inefficient in short barrels, it was designed around a 20" rifle barrel to get the great 1900+ fps it's capable of.
    It's ballistics are just not that much better from a 3 or 4 inch barrel than some of the hyper-velocity .22 Lr's, and it costs a helluva lot more to shoot.
    It has a long slow pressure curve that peaks late and that makes for a difficult design for an auto, even in a rifle. That's why Ruger gave up on the idea.
    Too many drawbacks with no real benefits.
  16. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Sorry OJH, Ill take blame for planting the idea in your head. Lol I will just go with the P-22 for now. I'm sure I'll be happy with it.
  17. oldjarhead

I have 3 P-22's. If you can get the combo that comes with both barrels I recommend you do so.
    Now mine are several years old two "L" series and 1 "N" series. The two L's have ejection issues with the short barrel but work fine with the long barrel. I've contacted Walther about the issue and they just don't seem to care.

Take a look at the S&W M-22A as a possible choice...fabulous shooter and in the same price range as the P-22. Make your purchase based on what you need and want...not on the comments made.

As for the above derogatory remarks about my Automag II purchase; I am fully aware of the alleged problems with the AM-II. I do not make blind-sighted weapons purchases.Thanks for the comment, though.

BTW, the AM-II looks pretty good next its big brother, my AM-III
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  18. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Thanks for that info on the barrels. I didn't know buying both barrels was an option. I really like that idea!
  19. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

AMIII is a nifty .30 carbine pistol :D
    Got Pics? :D

Years ago we tested an AMT Automag II & a Grendel P-30 at the old Gulf Breeze Pistol Parlor Indoor Range (gone now)...
    the Automag had issues...the Grendel didn't, so I ended up with a Grendel...then another...then another... ;)

There's 5 P-30's on Gunbroker right now, if not more. Easy to find online :)
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  20. ouch

ouch G&G Newbie

In the hard woods - next to a pond in Missouri
    22 mag in a tiny gun. consider the single action North american arms. You get 1000fps in the 1.62" barrel (about the same power as a 22lr in a rifle) and a tack driver when you go to a 3" barrel.