.22LR or .22 Magnum

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nick112207, Feb 7, 2008.

1. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

What is a good cheap 22 rifle for these rounds? Other than price is there a difference between the .22LR and .22 Magnum? it would only be for plinking. I would like to either get semi auto or a lever action (if they make those).
  2. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Suspended

I would stay away from the magnum. It will cost you more $$ for ammo and will significantly limit what you can get. I think bolt action is the way to go in 22's. The Savage Mark II's seem to set the standard for quality and accuracy in the low end price range. See my post and further links in this thread.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/22-rimfire/46517-looking-22lr.html

Ron
  3. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

You did not say rifle or pistol? If you want a handgun a Ruger with 2 cylinders would give you both, if you want a rifle get the 22lr. it will be cheaper to shoot and more accurate.
  4. ClayMan

ClayMan G&G Regular

If you are looking for a plinking gun, then go with the .22LR, the ammo is much cheaper and the report isn't as loud.

As far as a good cheap rifle, I actually have both a lever gun and a semi-auto.

I have a Henry lever action rifle in .22LR, the H001Y. I have the youth model with a shorter barrel and stock. I love to shoot it and the kids love to shoot it. It is a fun and accurate gun that was cheap in price but is of high quality.

I also have a Steven's semi-auto .22LR that was my grandfather's gun. It's a great gun as well. Accurate and reliable and quality. And I believe it was a cheap gun too.

Of the two guns, I think I like the Henry the best...I just really like working the lever and shooting it. Even though its the youth model, its small size actually makes it very handy and light. Shooting this gun is addictive and fun.

ClayMan
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  5. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Enthusiast

i agree with clayman, go with the .22lr and the henry is a great rifle. another thing if you would consider a semi-auto i would go with the ruger 10/22 its the #1 selling rifle in america. plus they have great after market add-ons for them.
  6. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

.22 LR

This is all you will ever want for plinking and you can get good with your gun as the price of ammunition allows for a lot of quality practice.
    The .22 mag is more expensive and, in my opinion,
    not really worth owning. If you want to go up from a .22 LR go to the .223 which is vastly superior to the .22 mag.
  7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You can still shoot the .22mag.cheaper than the centerfires and for varmints under 125yds they are a lot of fun.I myself pretty much stick to the long rifle as it will do the job out to 60yds with ease and you get a lot more shooting for the same money. sam.
  8. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

i say if you want a handgun then get a ruger single six you will get a 22lr cilinder and a 22 mag cillinder, and of you want a rifle go with the ruger 10/22 great 22 and its within your givein price range new.
    ps. for plinking i dont see any point in 22mag but thats just me
  9. rugernut

rugernut G&G Newbie

i have a savage 22mag bolt action that i bought for 120 $ and a marlin model 60 semi auto 22lr that i bought for 140$ they are both great shooting guns but i would say go with a 22lr it will be cheaper to shoot and perfact for plinking
    the 22mag is alittle more powerful so if you are going to be doing any hunting with this gun you should probably go with it on the otherhand for plinking the 22lr semiauto is a blast to shoot and is cheap to soot
  10. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I like the Marlin bolt-actions - very good shooters for the money!
    They have a good selection of both .22LR and .22 Magnum rifles. The .22 Magnum will give better accuracy out to 150 yards, while the .22LR is good for 100 yards, with practice. Both will thump a small varmint nicely.
    I've been known to 'plink' with a .22 Magnum - just not so much as with my .22LRs.
    For handguns, the Heritage Arms Roughrider is a nice less-expensive alternate to the over-priced Ruger. Good shooter for a plinker, and you can get both cylinders too.

The Roughrider paired with the Henry leveraction make a good plinkin' combo!
  12. turkn8r1

turkn8r1 G&G Newbie

For cost savings for plinking I would have to go with the .22 LR. For lever guns I would go with the Henry, Bolt guns I would look at the M77 Ruger. For semi auto I would look at marlin and ruger 10/22.
  13. BPierce

BPierce G&G Newbie

22 LR

One good reason to go for a bolt gun is that a good trigger makes your 22 much easier to shoot accurately. So many new guns today have horrendous triggers. Most can be smoothed up (the CZ 452 is a good example of one that most anyone can make a good trigger on) but a lot of folks don't really want to have to do that. The Savage "acutrigger" is only available on their bolt guns but it's a good trigger without having to resort to any smithing. It looks like Marlin is coming out with a similar "pro-trigger" but I don't know if it's available in 22s yet. Both Savage and Marlin are noted for inexpensive accurate 22s.
    A bolt gun will also shoot shorts and a variety of other sub power rounds which is handy if space or noise is a problem but only in .22LR not .22 Mag.
  14. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

As far as an inexspensive 22 semi-auto you can't beat a Marlin ! It's proven itself over the years and is an excellent buy. They don't offer a 22 mag in semi-auto though.
    Savage is even cheaper than Marlins and I hear there good rifles.
    Lever action I'll not comment because I know nothing about them.
    You can pay a little more for a Ruger 10/22 but I would bet the Marlin out of the box would be more accurate.
    A.H
  15. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

Alot of people will disagree with me but in the summer time I like my 22mag its easy to conseal in my jean pocket. (its a derringer) I would not carry a 22lr pistol for self defense the magnum has alot more power. For plinking and having fun I like my 22 lr its super accurate. I also have a three pin ruger revolver in 22 lr that was my dads, he use to use it for trick shooting in his early twenties. Its also fun. 22lr ammo is super cheep and 22 mag is about 5 times more exspensive, it rivles the price of a 9mm in price.
  16. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I tought he was asking about rifles.
  17. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

Yeah I guess he was, after reading all of the replys I forgot the original question. Go for the 22lr rifle.
  18. Troy

Troy G&G Newbie

.22 LR
  19. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

While the .22 Mag offers a lot more velocity out of a rifle length barrel, it's very inefficient out of a derringer , there's precious little difference between a .22 and .22 mag out of a 2" barrel. The mag is all smoke and no sizzle.
  20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

.22 Mag was most effective out of a Grendel P-30/p-31/R-31. Average barrel length 8+ inches. Magazine 30 rounds. The FBI was looking at them for a standard backup pistol but the Assault Weapons Ban of 94 killed that.

Grendel went out of biz and the proprieter now runs Kel-Tec. I've been emailing them monthly trying to get SOMEONE to do a .22 Mag semi-auto pistol, as NOTHING is available now.

AMT made a .22 mag but it sucked @$$ and had multiple problems due to poor manufacturing. I would only use an AMT for a canoe anchor.