257 roberts

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by jrbaker90, Dec 16, 2011.

1. jrbaker90

jrbaker90 G&G Newbie

How is the 257 roberts to the 30-06 and the 243 would there be any advntage in having been thinking on building one it the 257 robert thanks
  2. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

An accurate round, and also a "cult" caliber, I LOVE my 257 Roberts, but I'm a nut for midsize rounds.. I love my 6.5 Swedes, too..

Ammo isn't impossible to find, but reloading is a good idea just to keep the cost down.. Find a recipe that the weapon really likes, and you're that much further ahead, too..

Basically, if you want one, go for it!! :)
  3. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

The Roberts is an example of a fine cartridge that started life as a wildcat and saw a lot of success. The ammo and gun manufacturers always have to come up with something "new and better" to tempt us with, but the oldies definitely have a place in your gun cabinet. Things like the .220 Swift, the .22 Hornet, and the Roberts are just a few that have persisted. It is not ballistically equal to the '06, and the .243 shoots a bit flatter, but the Roberts is a great round. Check the ballistics and load data in a manual and be ready to smile.
  4. Paper

I also smiled the first time I pulled the trigger on one.. :)
  5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

Bob the loveable

A 1920's era It was wildcat off the 7mm Mauser close to same performance of the .250-3000 savage.
    .257 Roberts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Conversion of war-souvenir Japanese Arisaka rifles
    Japanese Type 38 Arisaka rifles brought to the United States as wartime souvenirs were sometimes converted by rechambering to utilize more readily available .257 Roberts cartridge cases because commercially produced 6.5x50mm Arisaka cartridges were scarce prior to distribution by Norma Projektilfabrik A/S. The neck of the Roberts case would be slightly enlarged to accept handloaded 6.5mm bullets. The modified Roberts cases are sometimes known as 6.5x.257 Roberts, although the case headstamp may still indicate .257 Roberts.
    [5] Neither unmodified .257 Roberts ammunition nor the original 6.5x50mm Arisaka ammunition are suitable for firing in rechambered Arisaka rifles.[6]
    7×57mm Mauser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    pictured (Lt) below the .257, to (Rt) is several for comparrision the first 2 are 7mm Mauser, the 7.5 Swiss, .308Win and the .223Rem

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  6. Paper

Cuz I feel like showing off.. :)

My Johnson Automatic Mauser Conversion in .257 Roberts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

That's a beautiful rifle Paper! The .257 Roberts is a great deer round, great for beginners,as well as experienced hunters
  8. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Personally,

I would prefer my .243.
    However, this older cartridge does have a niche following.
    One thing to consider would be the ease of sale or trade for your proposed gun in the future.
  9. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

a 257 Roberts is high on my wish list. I might think that .257 Roberts and 7x57 Mausers are very high in the list of calibers selected for custom rifles, possibly at the top. I've heard that had not the 270 Win been invented the 257 would be second only to 30-06 in popularity.

And to now answer your question directly (yeah, I know we're not supposed to do that!):

I've also read that in true lethality tests the 25s outperformed the 6mms, the 6.5s, the 7s and also the 30 cals for deer sized game.

So I don't see any negatives. Go for it!
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  10. jrbaker90

jrbaker90 G&G Newbie

What would be a suitable rifle to put a 257 robert barrel on other that the mauser thanks
  11. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

A model 700
  12. pico

pico G&G Newbie

Small ring and large ring mausers are great, but the small ring chileans work very well. The .257 as stated is a necked down 7mm mauser case, and the bullet types make it a very suitable round for white tails and smaller game. It is fairly flat shooting, and I have shot two flavors of hornady in my 1895 conversion and they are very flat shooting.

You could simply buy those remington receivers sold thru midwayusa and other sites, and add the barrel of your choice.
  13. longshooter234

longshooter234 G&G Regular

how much smaller is it than a 25-06? would there be any real felt recoil difference, enough so to justify it over a much more popular and slightly more powerful round like the 25-05?
  14. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

may I suggest you Google search "wiki 257 Roberts" and "wiki 25-06" to see the comparison. The 257 is shorter than the 25-06. They both use the same bullet. the 25-06 pushs it a bit faster but at the expense of more recoil and louder muzzle blast.

the 25-06 uses a long action, the .257 Roberts an intermediate action. Mausers begin as 8x57 (mostly) which is the parent case for the Bob so are perfect for that round.

or just Google "257 Roberts vs 25-06" and it will give you a list of comparisons.

How much recoil and muzzle blast you want are subjective.

Here's a recoil chart:

Rifle Recoil Table
  15. longshooter234

longshooter234 G&G Regular

i under stand the 06 is a bit more potent than the .257, it was a rhetorical question, as to why not just get a caliber that packs a bit more it the same size bullet with only about a 15% difference in recoil. and brass/ammo isnt hard to come by with the 06, worse case senario neck down some 30-06, 270 or 280.
  16. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

be sure to trim, especially 270 because it's a bit longer than 30-06 and 25-06. The 270 technically is NOT a 30-06 neck down, it's a 30-03 neck down even though you'll find a lot say it is from the -06. The 30-03 is just a tad longer than the 30-06. It is true you can make a slightly short 270 case from a 30-06 case and in practice many do.

you have a point. the other side is if you want a mild recoiling quarter bore that will work for deer, why not take the milder, quieter one that is less expensive to reload? Also a rhetorical question. These days there is plenty of brass available for either.
  17. the jigger

the jigger G&G Newbie

Roberts build?

My Roberts is built on a Stevens 200 action, Savage Take-off barrel, SSS trigger,and Boyd's Laminate stock. Makes a pretty nice "poor boy's" custom.
    The reason for owning a Roberts is because it's a Roberts!
    GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
  18. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Enthusiast

jigger how about some pictures
  19. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Regular

Even though I have not hunted in over 40 years, I enjoy shooting any of my three 257R rifles at range. Oldest is the Roberts made out of a 91 Argentine rifle. Had used the 1891 7.65x53 Argentine as a deer rifle when a teenager....rebarreled it to 257R. Next is a FN 98 mauser converted to 257R. Last is a Ruger Hawkeye. LOL, the 91 Argy is the more accurate of the three. 257R is a cartridge I can shoot all day long from bench with reasonable accuracy. Just a pleasure to shoot.
  20. the jigger

the jigger G&G Newbie

Roberts pictures?

Sorry Bob, all of my pictures are with my insurance agent.
    GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!