30-06 vs. 300 wm

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JohnnyReb, Dec 20, 2007.

1. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb G&G Newbie

which caliber is the all around gun?

I'm still debating what caliber of rifle I should get...

which is more versatile (elk, deer, maybe bear (doubtful)..)

which can kill the farthest?

thanks

Johnny
  2. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Both will do the same jobs, however, the 300 WM will get the job done further out.
  3. utahvarminter

utahvarminter G&G Newbie

They're not all that different. Same basic difference between .38 special, and .357 mag.
  4. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb G&G Newbie

so which would you rather have as a rifle?
  5. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

.30-06 is best all around caliber in the world

Check the sales statistics. .30-06 is the best all around caliber in America History. However, if it is elk at a distance the .300 W.M. is the better choice. Note the .300 W.M. is somewhat of a specialty caliber falling between the .30-06 and the .338 W.M. If you want great accuracy at long range with the .300 W.M. do as the army sharpshooter team and load your own ammunition plus anneal the necks of your cases.

Although you did not ask the .338 Winchester Magnum was originally called the .338 Alaskan designed for larger game such as elk, moose,
    caribou, etc. Note the .338 does have a bad reputation for ruining meat in smaller game such as deer. You might not want to move up to this caliber. Also, it has a whopping kick and muzzle blast. Personally, I have fired it and chose not to have it in my collection.
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

nathangdad:Winchester came out with the .338 Winchester Magnum in 1959 and named it .338 Winchester Magnum.I can find no place in it,s history where it was called .338 Alaskan.I would like for you to present written proof or references I can turn to for this proof.Thank you. sam.
  7. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

The 300 win mag shoots the exact same bullet faster. It doesn't take a physicist to figure out you will get more energy with the .300 win mag. Most people really don't need that extra energy (i.e. shooting white-tails), but if you are going after bigger critters, it would come in handy - especially at longer ranges. I personally use a .300 win mag - I hunt white-tails 90% of the time, but I have the option for going for something bigger and/or feel a little more confident on long shots. I primarily hunt around ag fields. The .300 gives me a little more range.
    If you don't mind a little more recoil, go with the .300 win mag. To me it is more versatile.
  8. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

The .338 Winchester Magnum was first introduced in the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan rifle, it was NEVER at any point called the .338 Alaskan.
  9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I own several rifles in both calibers and other calibers as well. I hunt with my .300 WinMag for everything except varmits...From Dall Sheep and Black Bear up to Moose, Grizzly Bears and Buffalo. It just Kills em all Fast! (and my life depends on that up here!)
    Rich
  10. rasterman77

rasterman77 G&G Newbie

Normally I would suggest a lighter caliber for ease of use and thus creating extensive shot practice but I LOVE the .300 win mag. Check out the ballistics and trajectory on this link below, lots of selection and great performance. .300 Win. Mag.
    I would feel more comfy in the north end of my province with my .300 mag then the 30-06 but I go into the woods daily with my 7mm-08 so......
  11. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Suspended

30 06. Classics never die

You can get ammo anywhere and it'll drop just about anything in North America if you can pull a trigger reasonably well.

Dakota Arms has a few "30-06 100 year anniversary" guns left if anyone is interested.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  12. rasterman77

rasterman77 G&G Newbie

I re-read your original question, 30-06 is the most versatile caliber EVER but the .300 has a better trajectory. Both calibers can kill further than most can, capably, shoot.
  13. wraco

wraco G&G Newbie

My suggestion is to buy them both as both are a good all round cartridge.

The 300 Win Mag was introduced to replicate the 300 H&H mag, but able to be built on a shorter action. The 300 Win mag shares the same parent case as the 458, 338 and the 264. The 30-06 with modern powders and loading data is currently loaded to almost the original 300 H&H.

The 30-06 can certainly get the job done but the 300 Win mag can get the job done a little further away. If you don't want to buy both, flip a coin or which ever one you can get the best buy on.

Merry Christmas
    Rod
  14. NorCalEJM

NorCalEJM G&G Newbie

I just bought a savage model 111 in .300wm and i have a remmington model 700 in 30-06. even though the remmington is cheaper I love the .300 wm. It seems more accurate and the kick isn't much, more of a push than a punch. I'd go with the .300wm, if you are going for smaller game you can get a lighter load.
  15. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Nathangdad is looking

I am looking. I do definitely recall advertising
    in which Winchester had the .338 as the Alaskan
    and the .243 as the Western. I was a youth living the West Texas oil fields and the two cartridges (especially the .243) were a matter of great interest at the times of their introduction at Blake's Sporting Goods. I still recall a letter sized advertisement on a cardboard stand with the phrase Winchester .338 Alaskan. This was for the ammunition. This may have been an early factory promo
    as I do not recall the ammunition being called .338 Alaskan after the magnum name was attached to the cartridge. I am so certain of this I would take a polygraph. Perhaps some other member of this website could verify my rememberance. I would like to know how long the rifle was called the Alaskan if anyone could assist in that matter. I am wondering if the dropping of the Alaskan name had a tie-in with the adoption of the magnum title. I am not trying to start a controversy but I do not intend to back down from my original post.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  16. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

They were advertising the GUN....Alaskan was the gun, the Cartridge has always been .338 Winchester Magnum announced in 1958 for the Model 70 "Alaskan".
    Refer to "Cartridges of the World".
    FACT!
    Rich
  17. wraco

wraco G&G Newbie

quoted from "The Rifleman's Rifle" by Roger Rule

The year "1960" brought significant changes for the Winchester Model 70. Two new cartridges in two new sub-styles. The "Winchester and Western Sporting Arms and Ammunition Catalog, Form No. 2359" - lists them as the "Model 70 Westerner" and the "Model 70 Alaskan". and separates them from other styles previously listed. The model 70 "Westerner" was introduced with the new .264 Win Magnum cartridge, in the 26" (standard weight) stainless steel barrel. -- The Model 70 "Alaskan" was listed in both the new .338 Win magnum cartridge and the .375 H&H magnum. Although these rifles were fitted with 25" barrels and solid red recoil pads, they were quite different as has been previous.

Regards:
    Rod
  18. tbonecpk

tbonecpk G&G Newbie

I would say either or it realy also depends on the area if you dont have a 200+ yard shot then get the 30-06. I hunt with that bad boy all the time and love it to death but if I'm lookin at 600+ yards (though I would not attempt it I would wait to get withing 300) I would do the .300 WM 200 and under 30-06 all the way.
  19. irish murphy

irish murphy Suspended

you are right mooseman,here is the link

The Winchester Collector Model 70 Bolt Action Rifle
  20. Full MeTal Jack

Full MeTal Jack G&G Newbie

Second the motion. Get one of each.
    Personally, don't have one yet. Every time there is a few hundred $$$ extra something always happens. Have seen 300wimmag and 338winmag that people give away (like 75% of cost) because of the recoil.
    6.5x55
    7x57 mauser
    30-06
    .375 JRS mag
    Those are my hunting calibers

"A man cannot have too many rifles" ....FMJ