.300 v.s 7MM

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by freakingout, Sep 27, 2006.

1. freakingout

freakingout G&G Newbie

Stuck in my decision for my next gun. Can you guys give me pros and cons of each and tell me your preferences? Thanks in advance. :]
  2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Welcome to G&G! Mind sharing what your use is expected to be, and any rifle platforms you have in mind? I recently got a box of 7mm for $7. I don't even have a 7mm, but this sort of price would make it tempting.
  3. freakingout

freakingout G&G Newbie

Hunting whitetail, elk, etc. But I mostly enjoy shooting at the range.
  4. BattleRifleG3

Well either round will work for whitetail. Some would say they're overkill, while my position is that they act like their lower powered counterparts just farther away. A friend of mine took an excellent shot at a whitetail last year with a 7mm. It did the damage it needed but not too much.

My thoughts are that if you expect to have a large number of shots over 200yd then either would be a fine choice. If you're generally at 200yd or less I'd really stick with a 30-06.

I'm a guy in PA who uses a 300 RUM, which is a step beyons 300 Win Mag. This is because where I hunt there is a very long and broad range where deer cross through, and my shots could easily be at a good distance while being completely clear and confident ones. My logic is that it does what a 30-06 does at 100yds out at 300yds. Now I shoudl clarify that I'm more concerned about trajectory than energy. A 30-06 has more than enough energy at pretty much any feasible range to take a deer. The question is how confident you are of the elevation of the bullet.

That said, if you have, like, and trust a different rifle, I have to say that you may be just as happy treating it well and shooting it more, building your skill and confidence. Shooting is most fun when you're hitting your target well.

If I had to note any tradeoffs between the two, it would be that the 7mm has higher muzzle velocity , so initially a flatter trajectory. It recoils less and costs noticeably less. That said, I've been hurt more by my friend's Win M70 in 7mm than my my Savage 111G in 300 Ultra. Advantages I can see in the 300 are wider bullet selection and more energy and bullet weight if needed. If you were planning on going after anything dangerous, I'd say the 300 would be a better choice, assuming you can shoot as confidently with it. It also has match ammunition availabel and certain high precision rifles are chambered for it. Not that you won't get MOA from most standard hunting rifles.

Any rifle choices in mind?
  5. freakingout

freakingout G&G Newbie

Not many choices yet. I'm on a not so great budget. But I've been eyeing this Savage 10G 7MM-08 that I really like. Has Accutrigger, which I hear is great. Any thoughts on that?
  6. freakingout

freakingout G&G Newbie

Also the Remington 700 ADL. I noticed it's cheaper than the BDL, any significant differences? And I've officially narrowed it down to the Savage and Remington. Which would be my best bet, more reliable, etc?
  7. BattleRifleG3

If I've learned anything, it's don't buy fun guns on a budget. Mind sharing what you currently have? If it's a full power centerfire rifle I'd say you probably have most of your bases covered. Better to shoot and enjoy, or possibly accessorize it than to add another rifle to get ammo for and maintain and accessorize.
  8. freakingout

freakingout G&G Newbie

None. This will be my first centerfire. I've always shot smallbore and shotgun. I have a Beretta AL391 Urika 20ga for duck, dove, etc. I also own a Marlin .17 and a Savage .22. I've always loved my Savage. So I'm just going to start off with another. I guess being a first gun, I can't go too wrong. I'll just have to learn as I go.
  9. BattleRifleG3

If this is your first centerfire, I'd highly recommend a standard full power round like the 308, 30-08, 270, 7mm-08, etc as being adequately powerful for almost anything you'd need and easier on the shoulder and pocketbook than a 7mm or 300 magnum.

One thing to consider if you're on a budget - the kind of scope needed for a high recoiling rifle will be more expensive than one for a milder recoiling one. For example, a $40 scope has done fine on a heavy (and thus low recoiling) 308 rifle of mine, but for a similarly powered scope on my 300 Ultra I was darn lucky to be able to get a workable one for $150. One rule of thumb is to guestimate spending half as much on a scope as you did on the rifle. This of course varies tremendously, but think of that in your budget.

Many of us may also recommend a military surplus rifle such as a Mauser or Mosin Nagant. Ammo can be had affordably, and the rifles are very reliable and inexpensive. Only thing is you'd be pretty well stuck with open sites, but if you don't want to buy a scoep this woudl be the way to go, as lots of current production rifles (at least the low end) don't have open sites.
  10. rdnckhnter

rdnckhnter G&G Newbie

pennsylvania and new jersey right on the bored
    i have heard great things about the savage i was actually thinking about gettin one myself chambered in 7mm-08
  11. cwelkman

cwelkman G&G Newbie

IMO I would spend less on a gun and more on quality optics. Yuo can easily get away buying alower priced savage or remington and have afine gun may not be the prettiest but still a good gun. Optics on the otger hand or a different story. YOu buy a 40$ scope and you have just that a $40 scope. Buy quailty optics and you want regret it.
  12. MountaineerWVa

MountaineerWVa G&G Newbie

Frankly,since this is your first hi-power rifle,and your on a budget.I would say check your local sale papers for a used rifle,and don't be overly picky about the calibre,308,30-06,270 are all very common calibers ,and they can all get the job done.The deer won't be any deader shot with one than the other...There are also a few low priced scopes out there that are fine for hunting.I bought a Bushnell 3-9x40 sportsman for about $50 or$60 for my 270 a few years back and have really been tickled with it. Simmons are concidered junk nowadays,but I've had one on my 30-06 for a while and had no trouble,but I don't like the reticle....Good Luck
  13. Johnny_Revolver

Johnny_Revolver G&G Newbie

First, an ADL has a blind magazine ( rounds go in the top and can only come out the top. BDL has a hinged floor plate ) Second hand 300 Win MAg or 7mm rem can be A/ good = it hurt the guys shoulder or cut his eye on recoil so its as new or B/ Bad = they have limited barrel life like only 70 grains of powder hurtling a projectile out the end will do. I`d say, that my next rifle will be a 300 Win Mag, they shoot as flat as a tack for a long way out. I`ll need a decent scope to take advantage of that, and higher end recoil pad like a Pachmayr decellerator. Buying a 300 or 7mm Rem, cutting corners will only defeat the whole purpose of the thing I think.
    As others have rightly commented, the regular .30`s will get the job done inside 200 yards with a minimum of fuss, but I am pedantic about accuracy and I`m prepared to fool around with ALL the variables to acheive it.
  14. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Savage .308 bull barrel

While at the range on Saturday, two young men were shooting a Savage bull barrel .308. They got clover leafs at 100 yds. I highly recommend this one, for economy and accuracy. He said he paid 400.00 for it new. It had a synthetic stock, and it reminded me of a Browning, except it got better groups.
  15. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

I agree that a "Standard" cartridge is a better bet for a first rifle. The ones listed are all good ones, with very good factory ammo availible..7mm-08, 308, 270, and 30-06 are all very good cartridges. One to consider if you are looking at the 7Mag is the 280 Remington. It is not so far behind the 7Mag in performance, with a lot less recoil and powder, and more versitile than a 270. Also the great selection of 7mm bullets that the 280, 7mm-08, and the 7Mag all share are excellent. Just something to consider if you ever decide to Handload.
  16. freakingout

freakingout G&G Newbie

Decided on a Howa Varminter .308. :]
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006