300 wsm barrel life?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by diderr, Jul 14, 2007.

1. diderr

diderr G&G Newbie

I was going to purchase a lilja barrel and get it chambered to a 300 wsm at my local gun smith. But first I need to know what is the expected barrel life I could get w/ that cal. and that barrel?
  2. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

Well, I don't know for sure, and I am guessing you will see a lot of answers. I would think you could get at least 2,000 shots out of the barrel, which for a hunting gun, means you will be set for a long time.
  3. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i just googled it and out of a whole bunch of answers it seems lng rng is once again correct 2000-3000 max if you use zero hot loads.
  4. diderr

diderr G&G Newbie

i've read that barrel length and bullet weight had stuff to do w/ barrel life, but wasn't specific. so whats better longer or shorter barrel, heavy or light weight bullets on barrel life?
    thanks,
  5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Barrel overheating is what really shortens barrel life. Bull barrels are thicker and so more volume to heat. Thicker barrels have less whip when shot. I would go with a thicker barrel if barrel life is an issue. Clean the barrel after every shot, for the first 20 or so. After that, clean the barrel after every third shot until you've shot about 100 rounds through it. After that just clean it after a day of shooting. This is what I plan on doing with my new barrel on my .300 Winmag. Hope this helps.
  6. diderr

diderr G&G Newbie

yes sir it did, what do you expect getting barrel w/ your win mag, that might be an caliber option too. i'm getting 24" or 26" in a thicker than my stock police bull barrel.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  7. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

A 300 Win will probably see barrel life longer than that of a WSM.
  8. diderr

diderr G&G Newbie

any reason why.
  9. Brother Bob

I've decided to go with a thicker barrel on my .300 Winmag and will also go with a 26 inch barrel. I'm setting it up like a long range sniper rifle.......The hot loads are usually the culprit in barrel wear. This starts at the throat of the barrel. I plan on keeping my loads at around 2,900 to 3,000fps and use bullets with high B.C.'s to obtain my target. This is a work in progress. I've done the math on the short mags. I don't see any reason to buy them. Ten years down the road, most will be just a memory. Stick with the time proven calibers and shells and you won't have to worry about ammo sometime in the future. Just my "old fashioned" thoughts.
  10. diderr

diderr G&G Newbie

my police is a 300 ultra, I love the range and power. but once I sight it in it knocks my sight rail loose even if i loctite it. also it's even expensive to re-load. I already have about 350-400 rounds through it in 2 months, so I need a new caliber. it's only worth $160 at one of my local dealers.
  11. Brother Bob

A .300 Remington Ultra Magnum? Wow, I bet that thing wakes up your shoulder! This is the reason why I believe all mags should weigh at least 9 lbs. with scope and everything. They should also incorporate a good recoil pad. I have seen Mountain Rifles chambered in .338 Winmags that weigh 6.5 pounds! I bet they're a real blast to shoot. Magnums will hammer you if they are too light. My .300 winmag gets my attention after about 6 rounds. They are strictly for long range and dangerous game applications. These are not rifles you take out and run 2 boxes of ammo through. A .30-06 is about the limit when it comes to extended shooting for me. I used a Caldwell Lead slead to sight my rifles with. I strongly recommend them. It takes the guess work out of scope adjustments and safes your shoulder in the process. A win, win.
  12. diderr

diderr G&G Newbie

i'd take it out to the prairie and run about 50 rounds through a session shooting at prairie dogs, lol. but i never had a single problem w/ the kick, I shot 3 boxes of factory loads through it w/ about 90 grains of pow in them, then shot softer hand loads, never had a sore shoulder though.
  13. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

Diderr, some WSM's experiance shorter barrel life because their higher chamber pressure can cause throat erosion. 2,000 rounds is more than most people will put through any 300 mag.
  14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I know I am going to get backlash on this one but most barrel wear is caused by cleaning with metal disolving solvents and brushes that gouge barrels.The only times copper buildup causes a real problem in a barrel is when there is a fault allowing buildup to cause a tight spot causing the bullet to be undersize when it travels through the crown and exits.The only time fouling causes a problem is when it eats at the metal in the barrel or causes a tight spot making the bullet undersize when exiting.Throat erosion is caused by two elements,first by heat from multiple shots making the metal softer and easier to be carried away.The other one even more damaging is maximum charges to get max fps-fp,s.The higher pressure you develope,the more wear you get.Since there are no corosives in modern components to eat metal until you add them when cleaning the only real wear frim shooting is hot powder and heat created by firing without a cooldown.The old timers usually only cleaned when the barrel became inaccurate.I wouldnt go quite that far but I dont clean after every firing episode.I believe the proper way might be to clean for extended storage.Another thing is leaving a heavy layer of oil in the bore so the barrel cant breath or dry if moisture gets in the metal.I run an oiled rag through and a dry rag to keep the coating thin.I do know that you can fire 200 to 500rds with adequate cooldown and no cleaning and it still shoots straight as long as their isnt a spot causing buildup.The biggest harm from copper buildup is the barrel cant breath so moisture accumilates between copper and steel causing rust over extended periods.Buildup is the biggest cause of inaccuracy so to keep from having to use metal disolving agents and severe brushes I clean for extended storage or when accuracy varies.More barrels are worn out from cleaning than shooting. samuel.
  15. Brother Bob

Samuel my friend, where did you come up with this .......... epiphany? While inproper cleaning can cause barrel damage, I wouldn't go so far as saying that it is the root cause of barrel erosion. Many of us use bore guides when cleaning which helps prevent metal to metal contact. While your 200 to 500 rounds might hold some merit when it comes to .22's and lead slingers, I wouldn't recommend to anyone, that is shooting copper jacketed ammo to go that long between cleanings. Don't even get me started on Molly's! I have checked with metalurgists and I'll stick with the cleaning routine I use and feel safe recommending the same to others.
  16. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

A coated cleaning rod should be used, because it prevents wear at the muzzle and throat areas of the rifle. Routines for cleaning rifles varies from shooter to shooter, what works for one person, may seem preposterous to the next.