.308 case length confusion

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rangersniper175, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Rangersniper175

Rangersniper175 G&G Newbie

New to reloading but not shooting. I reloading books to tech drawings of the 308 case says it measures 2.015", but the one reloading book say trim your cases down to 2.005. Then your Cartridge case gage does measure 2.015" on the high side and 2.005" on the low side. Are these the min. and max. length your cases can fall into and are safe to shoot. And what is the best case length to reload with. I have about 1000 cases to reload and just want to be clear what length to use before I start.
  2. mym1a

mym1a G&G Newbie

I believe 2.005 is the minimum case lenght.that means you can turn down your case on a lathe to remove burs and small cracks at the mouth.once sized i would recheck you lenght. shouldn't have to cut them down that much. after about 4 to 5 reloads i would be inclined to throw them in the scrap heap and sell to junk yard shouldn't be that big a problem for you
  3. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

I cut them to 2.010 right in the middle, to save some brass. New Win brass comes 2.005. I start there. If it is for the same bolt gun each time, you can just neck size to keep from trimming so much.
  4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

2.015" is SAAMI max for overall length.In other words it is as long as you can have the case to be safe from going beyond the chamber when fired,causing hard bullet release and high pressures.When fired the case is expanded to fit the chamber and seal gasses.it will measure close to 2.015".before you resize,you trim back to 2.005", or .010" .Then when you full length resize which is pushing the body in to near original meisurements the metal that "flowed"during fireing will push the oal back .010",or 2.015.When crimping it may be necessary to trim again to get them even.OAL may vary depending on casing and load,but if you full length resize 2.015 will be close.Dont go over the max,anything under would be safe to fire. sam.
  5. Rangersniper175

Rangersniper175 G&G Newbie

Thank you for such a quick reply. The info will be a big help. Some of the cases are measuring as low as 2.004 so with the info I have gotten so far are these case to short or can I change to slug set .001" longer. Hate to bother you, but I probably will have a bunch more questions