.308 effective range & AR-10 vs hunting .308

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doc Jones, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Doc Jones

Doc Jones G&G Newbie

I have a nifty .45 long Colt rifle...lever action WInchester.
    I'm thinking I might one day wish I had a rifle that could "reach out and touch someone" further away if needed. I'm thinking a .308.
    Could someone tell me the effective range of this caliber?

Is there something you like better for long distance personal protection?

Also, what advantage does an AR-10 tactical rifle have over a .308 hunting rifle (other than causing spontaneous bladder evacuation in liberals)?

Finally, what is your favorite .308 and why?

Doc
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. FISHPOND

FISHPOND G&G Newbie

Probably not the answer your looking for, but the effective range of a .308 is the same in either rifle. Advantages for the AR-10 is faster follow up shot and cool factor!! As for the effective range depends on you.. I only practice with my 30-06 to 300 yards, so that is my effective range.
  3. G. Green

G. Green G&G Newbie

Fishpond is right on. The .308 will reach out and touch way beyond most shooter's ability to apply it, the .308 will shoot accurately way farther than a fellow can usually ID his target as good guy or bad guy unless you can actually see puffs of smoke coming toward you.
  4. G. Green

G. Green G&G Newbie

And of course a fellow's ability to score hits out to the edge of the effective range is greatly dependent on the sight system one choses.
  5. FISHPOND

FISHPOND G&G Newbie

6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The .308win is still cracking the sound barrier at 1000yds so you could call that max effective target range.It is still carrying plenty of punch at 400yds for deer size game so you could call that max effective range for hunting. ,,,sam.
  7. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

An AR-10 in .308 would be useful if you find your house surrounded by the Taliban, but for hunting purposes get a good bolt gun, please.
  8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Personally, I would not get any .308 using the Stoner action. In 40 years, it has earned a reputation for attracting dirt like a magnet that renders it unreliable when you need it most. The AR-10 is somewhat better in this respect than the Poodle Shooter, but that's not saying much. As far as I know, the AR-10 has never been tested in large numbers in combat.

I'd opt either for a bolt action .308 or for one of the .308 military rifles chambered in 7.62 NATO (same thing) manufactured abroad. My personal suggestion would be for a Spanish CETME or a German G3 or an HK 91. All of them (the second and third are direct descendants of the first) were designed by German engineers to work in crummy battlefield conditions where they might not be cleaned very often and have to endure mud, grime, dirt and who knows what and still work. Alternatively, I'd suggest the FN-FAL, sometimes called "the Free World's battle rifle;" or a Saiga chambered in .308 Win that uses the semi-auto version of the Kalashnikov action.

Given what you suggested you wanted it for, you really need to be looking at semi-auto versions of the Cold War era NATO battle rifles. At least, that's my opinion.
  9. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

A 7.62 NATO is not the same thing as a .308 Winchester. A .308 Win is loaded to higher pressures, therefore it is dangerous to fire .308 Win ammo in a rifle chambered for 7.62 NATO.
  10. ALR

ALR ][][][% Forum Contributor

DPMS LR308B advertises humane kills out to 600yds, that one has a bull barrel in 308 Winchester.
    I like mine a lot, havent shot it much, got diverted by ammo crunch to up supply of pistol components

Attached Files:

• 308b.jpg
      308b.jpg
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Doc Jones

Doc Jones G&G Newbie

Thanks Fish,

Actually that is the answer I'm looking for. I'm not much into "cool" and black plastic does nuttin' for me. I guess I'll get a good wooden-stocked bolt action.

Doc
  12. FISHPOND

FISHPOND G&G Newbie

That is a great choice.. Sounds like it will fit your style to the tee!!!
  13. LakerDad

LakerDad G&G Newbie

The M1A [semi M-14] is a top notch .308 rifle, many matches have been won with them, the platform is a good one.
    I have a CETME which I came by at a very good price back in 2004. I wish I was capible of the what the gun will do, but alas, I'm not as good as I once was :) It's kind of like having a car that will go 180MPH and you're only able to drive it at 55MPH, "I feel the need, the need for speed!" or "I've got the power" comes to mind. Any rifle in the .308, is a Battle Rifle!!! FAL, G3, H&K 91, SAR, AR-10, I think any of these would be a great addition to my collection...
    Check out the Saiga's, they make a AK-47 look alike in the .308. Saiga mags are $$$ while I like the H&K alloy mags which are pretty cheap.
  14. Bart B.

Bart B. G&G Newbie

Doc Jones, for what it's worth, wood stocked .308's built on sloppy pre-'64 Winchester 70 classic actions with 2.5 pound triggers as match rifles have shot test groups at 600 yards much, much smaller than current benchrest records shot with really stiff single shot actions having 2.5 ounce triggers and glued into synthetic stocks. This was done almost 40 years ago. Barreled actions have no idea what kind of stock they're in, so get a wood one that fits you and you'll do just fine.

Oft times, folks claim the .308 is supersonic through 1000 yards. Usually, it is. But if the barrel's groove diameter's a bit on the big size or the bullet's diameter's a bit on the small size, pressure won't be high enough to shoot 'em out fast enough to be supersonic that far. This is the problem the military folks had with the first arsenal match ammo with Sierra 168's loaded. Shot from too loose a barrel they went subsonic about 900 yards down range and changed directions a tiny bit. Accuracy was not too good when this happened.
  15. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

One other advantage of the AR-10 vs bolt gun is less felt recoil. Personally, though, if I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd get an AR-10 in the 300 WSM for longer range and better ergonomics.

I've only owned one .308, and that's a CETME. It has the worst trigger of any of the guns I own, but it is an infantry RIFLE. And even though it's designer was a crazy German, it's very functional.

Jim
  16. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Maximum Effective range of the 7.62n/.308 is what you make it; I would consider it to be around 4-600 yards with battle sights.
    With a properly set up rifle & decent telescopic sights that range is extended to around (IMHO) 800-1000 yards.
    The original AR10 Rifles were excellent battle rifles with their biggest failing being their flimsy magazines. Cleaning was not an issue despite what some people might think or have read, mine had a chromed bore and normal daily cleaning was enough for the conditions under which it was used (african bush & high humidity). I would put the original AR10 above the Fal as a Battle rifle (just my experience of using both)

So saying, my preferred 7.62n Service rifle for target shooting is an M14/M1A!
  17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If the old bench rest records are "much,much smaller" as you state,why have all of the records over the years been broken,especially in recent times? Of course if you can make a statement like this you can also post verification of smaller groups with pre,64 winchesters compared to "curent bench rest records",or info as to where we can find these "smaller groups". Further,personal experience in combat conditions,the winchester sniper rifles wood stock used in the Vietnam era were match grade rifles but the wood stock in heavy downpour and 100% humidity were one big problem that synthetic stocks "never" have.Even in the best of conditions wood stocks often suffer warpage problems.As to the .308 win going sub-sonic at 900yds,I supose this could happen if competitors used sub-standard barrels and bullets.Somehow I have never known of a competitor doing that.Maybe you have and can enlighten me.As far as I know a .308win 168gr bullet with a BC of around .500 leaving the barrel at 2700fps would still be supersonic at 1100yds,(just barely).Could you state an incident where anyone was competing with sub-standard equipment? ,,,sam.
  18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

WHL: +1, altho the m14 is very hard to accurize compared to the AR 10 and in combat the AR,s were "crud"sensitive.Some may have been figured out.I have little experience with the newer ar,s except in controled conditions. ,,,sam.
  19. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

what a joke.

I suppose a Remington 750 in 308 would be alright with you tho?

it also has detachable mags and a gas cycling system. same basic system, until you try to strip it down. matbe then you can appericiate the AR-10.

I bought the Rem. R-25 in 308 as a duel purpose rifle. drop in the 4 round mag and slap on the Nikon 3-9x50 and it becomes a deer gun.
    drop in a 20 round mag and slap on a 12-42x56 and it becomes much more.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  20. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Newbie

how do you like the R25. are they quality wise as nice as the other rem
    products like the 870s and such?