.308 for black bear

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by jaeger, Dec 11, 2007.

1. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

Quick question. I will be going to upper mich black bear hunting and was wondering if my weatherby .308 would be enough. I will be using 180 gr nosler ballistic tips, and range should be sub 200yd. I do have a .30-06 rem 7600 but really dislike this gun. not a big centerfire pump fan. Ive been hunting for quite a while however this is my first black bear hunt. thanks in advance.
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

.30-06 with 220 grain bullets

It will definitely have a kick on your shoulder but you want maximum put down power. I have a friend who was in the army many years ago when they adopted the .308. They had to lighten the knock down targets so the .308 could knock them down - enough said!!!!
  3. webs

webs G&G Newbie

Your.308 weatherby shooting 180 grainers is an excellent choice for Black Bear.
  4. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

.308 is fine. The ballistics are almost the same with less recoil. Use a heavy bullet. I've used my .308 for bear in PA. Works fine.
  5. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

.308 should be fine at that range and good shoot placement. I would wont to be in a tree-stand just in case though.
  6. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

Lighten the knock-down targets? Very odd. 7.62x51 has the same ballistics as .30 M2. I don't remember knock-down targets in that time frame. We used the old 5-V bull. Perhaps an urban legend....................

.308 should be perfectly adequate for black bear. 180 Noslers will be fine. I don't like the 180s so much in the .308 because of the low achievable velocities vs. the .30-06, but at woods ranges there should be no problem. Calculate the trajectory and zero at 150 or 200 yards.

Take your time and put the bullet in the right place.
  7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Always nice to have humerous stories on here.I wouldnt have much to laugh at.You should tell your friend to give proof so you can back up what you post,but I got a big laugh anyway.Thanks and come up with another one.I'm sure all ex military will enjoy it.Been a while since I had a laugh like that.Keep posting them. sam.

By the way,in years back two of the favorite firearms used for black bear in Michigan were the shotgun and the .30-30,neither equalling the .308win.. sam.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  8. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

Also had to laugh at the "lighten the knock-down targets" as well. The US Army was converting FROM the M-14 in .308 to the M-16 in .223 back in the late 60's early 70's. We shot at targets at 300yrds, while I believe our fellow Marines were using .308's at 600yds? Anyways, ask some zips if they felt the .308 wasn't sufficient to knock them down:eek:wned2:
  9. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

I didnt respond to the "lighten the targets" comments because I was in the Marine Corps from 98-02 and my weapon was a M40A1. We qualified at 600 and 1000yds when on m.e.u.s.o.c . So I am not new to the 7.62.51 ballistics or capabilities, just new to bear hunting. It takes roughly only 12psi on a .04 diameter object (tip of .30 cal hpbt) to penetrate a human. Not too many black bears wearing turbins thats why i asked. Thanks for all of the great information.
  10. cma g21

cma g21 G&G Newbie

Do you think 165gr Nosler Partitions might be better in the .308?
  11. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I'm not a fan of Nosler Ballistic Tips for bear. In close they seem to blow up. I am a fan of Nosler Partitions though.

And bear hunting seems to bring lots of opinions as to proper bullet placement. I say treat them like a deer...meaning angle the bullet into the lungs.

I don't think you can go too heavy on a bear bullet. In fact I am switching to Sierra 220 gr RN once I use up all my Nosler 200 gr Partitions.

I just think they can take more of a pounding than deer.

Here's a nice fat sausage taken with a factory 180 grain Nosler Partition.

[​IMG]
  12. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

You lucky rascals that get to hunt Bears !!! Yall got me wanting to Bear hunt...

Lets see now I'll need to know whats the best gun in the world to Bear hunt with ?
    And the best caliber in the world to shoot Bears with. And whats the best cartridge brand and bullet combination in the world I should use ? Hep me out !

Thank you very much for this valuble information...A.H
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

AH:In your case a .22lr with hollowpoints and let them get real close.Keep a switch handy. sam.
  14. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

'bout anything that works on a mature deer should harvest black bear ok.

That said, Iv'e never harvested one, but would not feel undergunned with my .308 (for the record, I hate being undergunned)
  15. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

Well if you could kill a bear with anything you shoot deer with. How about a .223! LOL
    NOT ME! Maybe a cub. I personally like .44 mag best. But I think .308 should take one fine. Nosler Partition bullets are the best to use.
  16. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

True, people shoot deer with the 223. Lol
    Please allow me to re-phrase; Mainstream popoular hunting cartridges, typically of .30 cal or better with may include as to not exclude some .243 or .25 caliber offerings in appropriate projectile construction & velocity.
  17. ArkansasHunter

My por old Daddy said the only thing you look forward to when your old is a good night sleep and a good B.M in the morning.

Samuel I hope your constipated for a week...LMAO
  18. killer

killer G&G Newbie

Apparently 5 year old great grandsons (x10) of Davy Crockett are killing 445 pound black bears in your State AH.
  19. ArkansasHunter

killer I live at the bottom of Arkansas and though Bears have been reintroduced in South Arkansas we don't have sufficant numbers here to be able to hunt them yet.
    It would be nice to atleast hunt Bears one time but I'm not going to go where they are.
    A.H
  20. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

The .308 with a good 180 grain bullet will ruin a black bear's day.