.308 for Coyote

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by webs, Dec 22, 2007.

1. webs

webs G&G Newbie

The .308 is no doubt a heavy caliber for Coyote sized game.Do any of you guys load this round down so it is acceptable for pelt hunting Yotes?
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I believe I would rather use heavier less frangible bullets.They wont tear pelts up if they dont expand and dont push a lot of bone and such through.The only problem with this is riccochettes.Great for you guys in the wide open spaces,not so good for us flatlanders in populated areas.I better stick with the .17,.20,and .22 varmint rounds. sam.
  3. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'm not much on selling the pelts for the one or two I get here or there. Sam has good points on the pelt savings and especially the safety factor.
    That said, I have used the .308 a time or two, especially before I got a 223 & the .308 was the fitsall gun.
    I have had intersting success with the 130 grain variety. I shot one at about 110 paces 130VMAX. after the scope came back down (after not too much recoil) I seen him in it. He stood almost straight up, stiffened, fell over locked in stiff mode. Yes, there was pelt damge.
  4. utahvarminter

utahvarminter G&G Newbie

I have a small surplus of Hornandy 168gr Boat Tailed Hollow Points... hope Coyotes like being es-ploded. :D
  5. elmer fudd

elmer fudd G&G Newbie

whell if you arnt selling the pelts use it less to pick up!
  6. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Suspended

I used a 264WM with 100 gr. bullets at 3700 f/s for coyotes. It pretty much destroys them. Pelts were not a consideration. I would expect a 308 loaded for big game would do much less damage as the bullets would go right through without the explosion effect.

Ron
  7. killer

killer G&G Newbie

What's the going price for a pelt these days?
  8. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

depends on the quality and size of the Kiot average around my parts is $30-$55.
  9. petemi

petemi G&G Regular

I shoot coyotes to protect my livestock. I don't care much about the pelts, but the .308 seems to just wander on thru. I shoot .308 168gr Winchester Supremes. My rifle is sighted in for 200 yards. I know where it is at 50 and 300. I don't change bullets or adjust scopes. Same load, chipmunks to black bear. I don't care much about "flat trajectory" or bullet speed. All I need to know is where it is going.

I'm working with my NEF .45-70 and Hornady's Leverevolution cartridges, and I've got that doing well enough to confidently dump a deer or coyote out to 300 yards.