.338 federal as a bear cartridge?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by jaeger, Nov 18, 2010.

1. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

Just wondering what everyone here thought of the .338 federal. Mainly if it would be capeable to ethically take a big bear. I missed out on a hunt in ak this year due to my brother in law getting a divorce, but his father said it is on for next year without a doubt. So I have pretty much settled on a .300 win mag but my cousin is going next year and has a chance on a nice ruger 77 in .338 federal for $300. I already tried to hijack the purchase and pick it up for myself but it is his dad who is selling it, (and only to him). So any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

it is just my personal observation but since you wrote "big" bear I would feel more comfortable with a cartridge more in the range of .338 Win Mag and up.

However, the .338 Federal does have its fans and I feel you will get support for this old wildcat now enjoying the benefits of factory production and factory rifles for the shooter.
  3. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

I mainly posted "big" bear to mean a brown/griz. Since that will be our target species
  4. Jack Dundin

Jack Dundin G&G Newbie

The 338 Federal should do just fine on black bears out to 200 yrds, I am not sure but I beleave that it is a short range round. I have seen a 30-30 do quite well with in that range, so you should be fine.
  5. Jack Dundin

Jack Dundin G&G Newbie

oops didnt see the second post.
  6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

The .338 Federal has almost the same energy as a .338 Magnum at 100-150 yards , so it should be fine for Most All big game animals including Bears, Elk, and Mule deer. Most animals are killed at that range or closer so It should do nicely and even be effective to 400 Yards...It even meets the Alaska Standard for hunting Buffalo !
  7. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

Thanks moose. Ill let him know. Sucks we missed our hunt thid year but hey theres always next year.
  8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

That 338 Federal is a great round !! I wanted to buy the one Moose had for sale, but didn't have the $$.