35 Remington Contender

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mellon, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Mellon

Mellon G&G Newbie

I shoot a 35 Rem Contender. Would like to try Hornady XTP 180gr, 38 cal, .357 diameter out the front and not the sides or back. I am having difficulty finding load data. Suggestions?
  2. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

A 180gr Hornady XTP-HP seated into the case exactly the same depth as another 180gr bullet (such as the Speer FN) can use those starting level loads. Maximum level loads may be entirely different. What you are trying to match here is case volume to a bullet weight, not overall length. You must be absolutely precise here; a difference of as little as .030" can drive pressures well past maximum.
  3. Mellon

Mellon G&G Newbie

DWFan: I am rather new to reloading this bullet. Do you mean that I should seat the bullets at the same depth as the recommended OAL in the load book? In the Contender load book for 35 rem .357 180 gr. FPJ the cartridge OAL is 2.340. I check each bullet I load with a micrometer for length.
  4. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

Check my PM. It's how much bullet is below the case mouth (inside the neck) that you want to duplicate; not overall length.
    For example, if the 180gr FPJ bullet you mention is inserted into the neck .375" to achieve an OAL of 2.340", then the starting level loads for that bullet can be used as starting level loads for the 180gr Hornady XTP-HP if it is also seated the same .375" into the neck.
    Remember, this only applies to starting level loads.
  5. willyC

willyC G&G Newbie

Hey Mellon, I am reloading .35Rem right now. Brass is all cleaned and primed, ready to load. My barrel is from the T/C custom shop...15" bull with muzzletamer added on. The exact load that works for me (you know i have to tell you to start low and work up,right?) 37.7gr ofH335 powder, CCI200 primer, OAL of 2.530" with that Hornady 180grsingle shot pistol bullet. This will put 5 shots in a 5/16"x9/16" hole at 50meters and 5 in a 1" hole at 100m. Last deer killed with it made a hole you could stick a broomhandle thru. My OAL is determined by slowly seating the bullet until it just isn't touching any more and subtracting another .010-.015. I used to subtract .005 but found going a bit shorter REALLY shrunk the groups by half ! The closer your are to the rifling the higher you will make your pressures (BAD). I am now switching to a Hornady 200gr RN to get a bit more whallup out there. I you are not aware of Mike Bellm, you should hit his website. He is THE guru of Contenders. BellmT/C's.com. Read everything on his site before doing anything else. Trust me...you'll thank me later. By the way...38gr is max load for H335x180gr bullet. Good luck willyC
  6. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

Mellon, contact www.reedsammo.com
    They offer a 180gr Hornady XTP-HP .35 Remington load and may provide load data for you.
  7. willyC

willyC G&G Newbie

"The Complete Reloading Manual for the Thompson/Center Contender", copyright 1991 by Loadbooks,USA. There may also be a second edition, not sure. contains 30 calibers from .17 bumble bee thru .45-70 Gov't. data from Accurate, Hercules, Hodgdon, IMR, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Speer, RCBS. Not sure if T/C still sells it but any good book peddler should be able to find you one second hand.
  8. willyC

willyC G&G Newbie

smetimes i forget to look up at the top corner where you loggin for private messages.
  9. willyC

willyC G&G Newbie

I'm of the mind-set that ya'll are missin' the point on these .35Rems when you gravitate to the XTP. It's a rifle cartridge fellas...you stand to gain a lot ballistically. I know those XTP's are an accurate bullet...hell I shoot 'em in my .445 exclusively but it's a pistol cartridge. Past 125yds. or so they drop like a rock. Hornady's 180gr SSPB (flat-based spitzer) and their 200gr RN work super in my .35. I would urge you to give them a try. They are not very expensive, either. Just an opinion.
  10. willyC

willyC G&G Newbie

I finally put some pics of my .35Rem on the contender pistol fans main page...give a look !