350 Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Palladin8, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

What are your thoughts on the Model 7 chambered in this cartridge? I know it would have to have a pretty substantial recoil in such a small light weight rifle. I held one last week and really like how the rifle feels and balances. I like how compact it is and how quick I could shoulder the rifle.
    I know the cartridge is neck and neck with the 35 Whelen for the most part depending on whos reloading data you are reading. I have been seriously looking at getting a Whelen but then I held this rifle and I have to say I am now smitten.
    I would be reloading so the concern of finding ammo is a non issue as far as I am concerned.

So what say you gents?
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmmm,

This cartridge has not done well in terms of establishing a good market demand for it. The "vote" of the shooting public says a lot.

Personally, I feel this is the wrong cartridge for any lighter weight gun.
    Not only will you have substantial recoil but the shorter nature of this rifle will put a lot of muzzle blast nearer your face and ears.

I would pass on this setup. If you choose to go this route I wish you the best.

Should you wish a larger bullet in a shorter case the .338/08 now advertised a the .338 Federal might be a more viable alternative.

Should you wish a larger bullet in a larger case the .338/06 has long been a very successful wildcat cartridge seemingly always on the verge of mass production.

Of course, the .35 Whelen when mated to a full sized rifle has an outstanding record as a "can do" round in the field.
  3. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

When the 350 Rem Mag was introduced back in the mid 60's it was offered in the M 600 carbine, one of the early laminated stock factory guns. I have often kicked myself for not picking one up then. It had some following among some outfitters as a saddle gun with a lot of knockdown power in a short package. It was/is a hunting round and as such all the loose talk about recoil, muzzle blast, etc. is little more than meaningless. Things that may affect you on the range shooting a long string, disappear when firing one (or possibly two shots) at game.
  4. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

Had a chance many many years ago to buy a model 660 remington chambered for this round, I was impressed with the balance and style of the rifle as well as the ridiculosly low price it's owner was asking, but at the time I just didn't have it to spend on a rifle, I wish he still had it I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  5. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

I am thinking I will be picking this one up asap.
  6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

:dance: Well it's mine now. :dance:
  7. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

Let us know what you think. I would like to have a 673 in .350 Rem Mag to go with the one I have in .308. The 673 is basically a copy of the model 600 and 660 from the 60s but it is built on the modern model 7 action.
  8. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

well here are a few pics of the little gal. Can't wait until the brass and dies arrive so I can take her out to the range.

Attached Files:

9. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

Congratulations :)
  10. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Congrats! It sure looks better than the Mohawk! I've always wanted a model 7 myself. What(if you decide to) are you going to scope it with?
  11. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

Congrats...
    Like Purdy stated, the 350 RM was introduced in the Rem M600 during the 60's and was in competition with several new big bore cartridges. The M600 was plagued with some minor safety and tear down issues the market was not willing to bear.
    The muzzle blast of a shorter barrel is seldom cause for concern to the shooter but it is for the guy shooting next to you at the range...lol.
    Enjoy your new baby!
  12. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

Para I am looking to put a 2-7 or similar power on it. I think it would be a perfect fit for the small rifle.
    Now I am just waiting for the dies and brass to arrive and I will get started reloading for it.