.357 revolver barrel length

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Outriderdark, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Outriderdark

Outriderdark G&G Newbie

How much does barrel length effect the velocity and stopping power of a .357 magnum?
    Is there some sort of website that has some tables or something showing the difference?
    I'm having a disagreement with a buddy who says the difference is negligable unless you're hunting at long range.
    Any info?
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Fact is a shorter barrel will Not develop the Muzzle velocity that a longer Barrel will...But at 10 to 30 feet the bullet is just as deadly,maybe more so due to the slower speed with less tendancy to penetrate but to release energy in the target Body,hence MORE Shock to internal organs which causes more death than just Bleeding ! The difference in a 2 inch Barrel versus a 6 inch barrel velocity wise is 200 to 350 fps faster with a 6 inch and Muzzle Flash is less than with a 2 inch ! Hope this Helps.
    Rich
  3. Bull Barrel

Bull Barrel G&G Newbie

I've shot a 2" .357 and there is a lot of flash--even in the daylight--for self defense the 2" would be fine. My 6" Ruger Security Six .357 was a real sweetheart too shoot, but too large to conceal easily.
  4. Outriderdark

Outriderdark G&G Newbie

Thats what I thought. Thanks!
  5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

With barrels that short, each inch of site radius makes a big difference in accurate aiming. An important factor in my opinion. From the armchair, I've considered 4-6" to be a good length for defense use, and 6-10" for sporting use.
  6. fred

fred G&G Newbie

The Speer Reloading Manual 12th Ed. has a nice table on p. 444 for muzzle vel measured with a variety of firearms at different bbl lengths. 2.5-2.75" snubbies average ~1200 fps for 125 grain load they tested while 4" bbl averaged ~1364 fps and 6" averaged~1433. As expected there is substantial variation from gun to gun of the same barrel length (tightness of the cylinder gap being one variable that comes to mind).
  7. Roy Collins

Roy Collins G&G Newbie

4" is good all around size for most applications (carry-Sport). Of course concealment size down or sport/hunting size up.
  8. mark8252

mark8252 G&G Newbie

Perfectly Good Question

I have a SW 686 with a 8 3/8 inch barrel.
    It is the most accurate handgun I own.
    Also one of the most fun to shoot. Beats up those pop cans pretty far away.
    I hope someone answers your question. I just like to shootem.
    I think the velocity of any of the 357's is gonna make the bad guy quite dead at home defense distances. More dead is likely not gonna matter much.

:D :D :D :D