357 vs 45 Long Colt vs Whitetail

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Walther Gx-1, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Walther Gx-1

Walther Gx-1 G&G Newbie

I've decided that I want to get a Uberti 1873 replica but I dont know what caliber I want to get it in. I first thought that 45 long Colt would be good but then I woundered if I should get a .357 would be the way to go. Which would be best for whitetail deer and which would have the best knock down power? Since I live in Pennsylvania most my shots will be within 100 yards. Any imput would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. oldschooler

oldschooler G&G Newbie

Personally Id prefer neither. If I had to choose between them for deer Id consider the .357 Magnum the only choice.

If you MUST have a pistol caliber lever gun for hunting, then consider the .44 Mag

My vote for a lever gun for deer is the Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.
  3. renegade1alpha

renegade1alpha G&G Newbie

I own a Puma 1892 lever action in .45 Long Colt and it will take deer out to 100 yards nicely. A friend of mine has a IMI Timberwolf pump action rifle in .357 and it too is a deer slayer. Keep in mind that just like any rifle when shooting deer, shot placement is important. If using the .45LC I would suggest any bullet from 255 to 300gr traveling at or over 1,000 fps. In the .357 I would suggest the 158 and the 180gr loadings. As for bullets, hard cast flat points work well in thick skinned animals such as boar, but on soft skinned animals like deer, use the soft points. In the 1800's there were no +P loads or jacketed bullets. All they had were soft lead of 200 to 250 gr weight backed by black powder and moving at around 800-900 fps and thats what they hunted with.

As oldschooler said, the .44 Mag is a round to consider too. But the .45LC can also loaded to levels that actually beat the .44 mag, so long as the gun shooting it is able to handle such loads. My Puma shoots them just fine. As long as you do your part, you will be fine in either caliber.

As for the Uberti 1873, I dont think it will handle extended shooting with +P loads. If you want a lever gun in the above mentioned calibers, I would suggest the 1892 and 1894 models.
  4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    either one will do it but i prefer the .45l.c.

if the gun can take it.
    those .45l.c. will do the job nicely.
    heavy bullets and large metplates are the order of the day.
  5. billy

oldschooler
    thats your 1st post in almost 3 years?
  6. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

.45 Colt, out of a rifle it gets considerably more velocity, that big case isn't just for looks if it's loaded with the right powder. Craps all over the .357 .

Thought everybody knew that.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  7. billy

ive got a .45l.c. levergun
    and just like T.F.says
    with the right bullet /load
    it will knock the snot out of a deer @100 yds.
  8. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

You can't use those "slobberknocker" .45 Colt loads in most replica cowboy six-shooters. The frames and cylinders aren't made for it. Most replica cylinders are only 1.65" in diameter vs. the Blackhawk's 1.74", hence the disclaimer "Ruger Blackhawk and T/C Contender ONLY loads." The original, not the new model, Vaquero is an exception since its frame and cylinder are virtually identical to a Blackhawk.
    There is at least one replica six shooter that comes from the factory in .44 Magnum: the EAA Bounty Hunter. A .357 Magnum Bounty Hunter using Buffalo Bore ammo should take down any deer within 100 yards. If you handload, you can do even better.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I'd also go with 45LC.
  10. Onesonek

Onesonek G&G Newbie

.45 Colt here

Dave
  11. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Truth be known

I did have an uncle (now deceased) who hunted deer with his .357 Colt Python revolver.

However, neither of these cartidges is really what you want for deer when so many more appropriate cartridges are available. I would at least look at a .30-30 or a .243 (one of my favorite calibers).

So, I have knowledge of the .357 being successful.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  12. billy

yes
    ive got 11 rifles i would use before that levergun.
    but he gave us a choice btween those 2 calibers.
  13. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have a .357 lever gun. I'd take a 50 yard shot to the boiler room without hesitation or remorse.
    I wouldn't choose it, but if someone said hey lets do a lever gun hunt, it would get the call.
  14. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

I vote for the ,45 lc. I've killed 2 deer with my .357 pistol but each took 3 slugs in the vitals before they went down. I switched to a .44 mag. for my pistol hunting.
  15. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

I took a deer last year with a .357 with the new flexi tip leverevoloution ammo and she dropped right there at 46 yds. However my brother in law uses a .45LC for bear defense in the UP with some buffalo bore.
  16. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Enthusiast

henry makes the bigboy in .357 ,.44mag and .45lc also would probably be cheaper than the uberti.
  17. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

From a lever action rifle I don't see why there's any question about .45 Colt versus .357 magnum, the .45 Colt just flat wins in every respect. It's a no-brainer.
  18. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

ive got a puma in 45 colt that i plan to use at least once this year. im gonna use my 06 til i kill one and after that im gonna use the 45 colt and wait for a good shot opportunity. i wasnt able to get any +P stuff before season but i did get some 300gr JHPs. i plan to use those. i think they'll do okay. but like i said im gonna wait for a perfect shot opportunity. i've been wanting to try some Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and some of the Leverevolutions but just hav'nt gotten around to doing so. I'm hoping that by next season i'll have a Puma in .454 Casull.
  19. renegade1alpha

If I were hunting deer where the shots were going to be over 125 yards, then yes I would use my .308 Model 70. But for a short range brush gun the lever would be just fine. My friend took his 3x2 mule deer at range of about 65-70 yards with his .357 pump using 158 gr soft points. He hit it right behind the left shoulder. It ran about 25 yards and then buckled to the ground. I plan on using my .45LC Ruger Blackhawk on boar this year. I will keep you posted!
  20. renegade1alpha

If I were going to shoot over 125 yards I would use my Winchester Model 70 .308 or my 7mm Mauser. But for a short range brush gun, especially on white tails, I will use my Puma .45LC. My friend shot a 3x2 mule deer at a range of about 65-70 yards with his .357 pump using 158gr JSP and hit it right behind the left shoulder. It ran about 25 yards and dropped dead. Perfect heart shot with great expansion. I plan on using my Puma .45LC with 255gr hard cast LSWC moving at 1,100 fps on boar this year. I will keep you posted.