.38 special derringer ammo question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AMD4400, Dec 4, 2009.

1. AMD4400

AMD4400 G&G Newbie

I got a .38 special derringer. My question is what kind of ammo is safe to use in it. I has right on the box says DO NOT USE: hi vel, hot, super vel, +p or any high pressure stuff. In manual says "Standard Velocity" is safest and works best. I got a box of magtech 158gr FMC-Flat (38P) bullets for it. On the chart on ammo box the 38p says its 754fps. So would you consider this "Standard Velocity" ammo ? And it said nothing about bullet weight.

BTW its a
    FIE D86
  2. dodge310

dodge310 G&G Newbie

Anything other than +P pretty much. The standard Federal from Wally World is perfect. With the derringer I'd probably go with 125-135gr myself.
  3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Cowboy Action loads would be perfect. ,,,sam.
  4. 240 Coastal

240 Coastal G&G Newbie

AMD4400,

How about a picture of that little beauty? We like pictures!!!

Tom
  5. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

That Magtech ammo is fine to use.
  6. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

How about some targets shot at 25 feet or so, using just one barrel, then both. I always wondered if those things were regulated to hit at the same point at some paraticular distance or if they were just stuck together figuring anything closer than 5 feet is hard to miss.
  7. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

i had a cheap excam and fired everything thru it.

its only a belly gun, dont expect any acuracy.

they make some 38 spcl with 3 balls in them, kool
  8. blat

blat G&G Newbie

May I suggest Federal Nyclad 125 grain hollowpoints. These are standard pressure loads. I think they run close to 800 fps from a snub S&W, so they should do well in your derringer. When I had a Davis derringer, that's what I used.
    These are soft lead hollowpoints coated with a blue nylon type coating, to prevent leading your barrel, but still expand well.
    They quit making this load for a few years, but I heared they are putting it back in production,or already have.
  9. AMD4400

AMD4400 G&G Newbie

Here is your pictures :trink26:

Thanks for the imput guys!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      148.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      708.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Someplace I saw a video on how to reload those and keep the muzzle pointed down range to comply with CA rules.I don't know where to look but maybe someone can post it. ,,,sam.
  11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

+P have the designator "+P" marked on the box and usually the headstamp by convention. What you have sounds like standard velocity ammo. Should be fine for general use.

I'd consider using the non +P version of hornady's critical defense ammo or possibly good old 148 grain wadcutters for carry use.
  12. blat

blat G&G Newbie

I had one identical to this years ago. After a few firings, and some dry fire using a snap cap, the firing pin began to "mushroom" where the hammer strikes it.This was in a very short period of time; the gun was bought new. I took it back to the dealer to send it back for repair. He was an a--hole, who soon after went out of business. He basically told me "Tough S--t!"! I took the firing pin out, turned a new one using a drill and files, and other abrasives. I heat treated it the best I knew how, and put it in the gun. It worked without problems from then on.
    What appealed to me about the gun was the shape of the single barrel; the gun looked "neat" to me. After I fixed it, I used it to scare off cats and dogs hanging around the house. I had some 38 spec cases that were modified to accept a 209 primer. That was enough noise to scare them off!
  13. AMD4400

AMD4400 G&G Newbie

Should i assume i will have the same problem with the fire-pin deforming like that?
    I agree with the shape it has, looks neat, and don't see other derringers that look the same, most are double barrel.
  14. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Magtech 158 Grain should work fine. A 158 Grain in a Derringer will kick like hell but it should work just fine. I'd get a lighter grain bullet.
  15. border Collie

border Collie G&G Regular

Keep that lil hummer on half cock when you reload or carry .This way you have no surprises. Trust me, I know!
  16. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    yep
  17. AMD4400

AMD4400 G&G Newbie

It doesn't have a half cock or a manual safety. But I would never carry it with hammer raised.
  18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I don't know what it does but I think he ment that if the hammer depresses the fireing pin it might go bang on closing. ,,,sam.
  19. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

20. AMD4400

AMD4400 G&G Newbie

It has a Transfer safety bar, so even with the hammer down it makes no contact with the firing pin "which is nice if i ever did carry it".