4-16x50 or 6-24x50

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by thehighwaypatro, Sep 27, 2005.

1. thehighwaypatro

thehighwaypatro G&G Newbie

Right now I am trying to decide whether to get a 4-16x50 or 6-24x50 BSA Catseye scope. Does anybody have any suggestions for either one or a scope with about the same power for under $200.
  2. Otter

Otter G&G Newbie

Keep in mind you get what you pay for. I bought a Blazer 8x32x50mm and put it on a G3.
    What a piece of crap. I took it off and went back to the Iron sights. I then put that scope on a Savage model 10FP-LE2 and found that it wouldn't hold zero, every shot changed windage. For $299 I got a Millett 4x16x56mm with sunshade. best scope I've ever owned. As for power, I hit what I shoot at with the Millett with 7.62x51mm, can't say I need any more power than that.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."
  3. ruger22com

ruger22com G&G Newbie

I use a 6x24x50 on a couple of my rifles....keep in mind the "6" is for the lower end of magnification, which means its darn hard to focus on anything, say at 50 yards or closer. so if you are shooting that close, stick with the 4x
  4. mr mom

mr mom G&G Regular

i would say all depends on what you plan to do with the rifle???? i have put bsa 6x24's on my kids .22 for sil. shooting.. if they want something better they can go get it themselfs.. just for the heck of it i put a bsa 6x24 on my savage 12bvss. cant seam to spend more than the rifle is worth... mine repeats good. havent had any problems so far. and i have put about 2000 rds threw it...
  5. rebel727

rebel727 G&G Enthusiast

I'd go with the 4x16. I never go over 10x the higher powers show my wobble up too bad.
  6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i would not personally waste my time with a BSA scope. for a good recomendation id like to know what you wish to use the rifle/scope for.
  7. thehighwaypatro

The rifle I have is a Savage 12BVSS in 223.
  8. thehighwaypatro

Also what would you guys consider close?
  9. thehighwaypatro

I would be using it for varmint.
  10. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

11. grizzly

grizzly G&G Newbie

Tack Driver

I shoot a Remington 700 BDL in .243 Winchester. I have an inexpensive($40) Tasco 6-24X50 mounted on it. It's the !!!!! man.... :right:
  12. thehighwaypatro

Somebod reccomended an NcStar scope but I haven't heard anything about those scopes. Does anybody have any input?
  13. CV32

CV32 G&G Newbie

The Mueller scopes are getting good reviews, and are relatively inexpensive. The Optics Zone (mentioned above by myarmor) has them.
  14. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter G&G Newbie

I have 6 Simmons scopes, if that tells you anything. I hunt mountains and plains. Wooded bottoms and grassy pastures. I dont have any complaints. I have 2 sons in law who have Simmons scopes on their rifles and they do well with them. My biggest scope is 4x12. The rest are 3x9. I dont have any problem with the 12 power. Before deer season in 3 weeks I'm looking to try a larger one.

I have a buddy who uses the high powered BSA scopes on his competition rifles. He can put 20 shots into one hole at 200 yards that you can cover with a dime.
  15. Pred

Pred Suspended

Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 Mildot. That and rings cost me under $125 for my G3. At 100 yards, I'm shooting 1" groups.
  16. CleanCut

CleanCut G&G Newbie

I have 1 Simmons 4-12x40 and 2 Tasco 3-9x40's. The Simmons is for plinking and the Tascos are for hunting. All do the job for me quite well. I will say that the optics quality is not even close to the more expensive ones I have looked through, but still I would shoot rodents at 100+ yards with the Simmons without doubting myself.
  17. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

Before I go into a lot of detail, I would suggest that you look at Swift Riflescopes, at:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swift-brand.html

The prices are right in your stated ballpark, and my experience with them, is that, quality, durability and useability, they are right up there with the expensive scopes (Nikon, Leupold, Leica, Swarovski, . . . ). I do not work for them, or their distributors, or their retail outlets, and I get nothing if you buy one.

I have an older Swift 60mm spotting scope that I had to supplement with a KOWA 82mm, because I needed to see the .223 holes in the black at 200 yards, with any daytime lighting conditions. I can see the spotters on the target at 300 and 600 yards with it, so it does most of what I want. I won't part with my Swift, because it will do almost everything I want my spotting scope to do.

There are some things to keep in mind when you are looking to buy a scope, and it matters not what the purpose is, and regardless of manufacturer. The objective lens is what gathers the light, the more the better. You would be correct in choosing the largest objective lens for your rifle (you appear to lean to the 50mm).

Now as to power (the 6X - 12X, for instance) remember the objective lens gathers the light, and the larger the number for the power 6X as compared to 4X, the less light gets to your eye. Remember all 50mm scopes are not created equally, even in the same brand, however the more expensive ones will usually assure your new rifle scope will be closer to the standard you expect. You may very well get an outstanding BSA riflescope, and congratulations on saving yourself some money, but the odds are your BSA will not be up to everything you expect of it, though it will do most of what you want it to do.

Light gathering and getting the light to your eye is the key to getting the correct scope for your use. I would suggest you stay with a 3 1/2X or 4X, variable up to maybe 12X. The variability of the scope means more glass that the light has to go through and that reduces the amount of light that gets to your eye. A second reason to stick with a 3 1/2X or 4X for the lowest power, is that you can see a wider field of view (it is easier to find what you are looking for), as well as you will be able to hold it on target better. When you zoom up to 10X or 12X, the light you see drops its intensity, your field of view is dramatically reduced in size, and you have a harder time keeping it on target. You may even see the result of your pulse making the rifle move using the higher power of the scope.

I have met ALL of the home office/shop employees of Swift Optics, including the owner, as they scheduled a day at the range at our shooting range a couple of months ago. All of their employees came to the range and ALL of them fired a variety of rifles from .22 up to .30-06, and handguns from .22 up to .45 ACP. Many had never even thought about being around firearms, and most of them were more than happy to have the experience. A few have even purchased handguns since their day at our range. The owner stated that she would like to have ALL of her employees come to at least one day at our Rifle/Pistol range and one day at our Trap and Skeet range every six months. By the way they were being paid to be there.

Now that is a dedicated owner, who wants her employees to have a better feel of what the products that they build are used for, and how they are used.

`
  18. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

Good post :right:
    Yes the Swift scopes are a good value as well, it's weird that you don't hear much about them or Meuller. But these 2 offer great scopes for an excellent price.
    Though not in the same ball park, ever sense BSA changed there manufacturing, they have been putting out a lot better quality scopes than they use too. Just bought a 4-16x40 Mil-Dot and am very happy with it. No it's not on par with the high dollar brands, and yes there is some glare from behind, and the edges aren't totally sharp, nor is it the brightest scope....but for the $60 I paid for it from Natchez, I doubt I could have found any better for the money. A LOT sharper and clearer than any of my Tasco World class scopes or Their Varmint model-the one with fine cross hairs not the Mil-Dot version, it's a lot better than that one.
    I have looked through some real trash in the past by BSA, and I do mean fit for nothing but trash or excess rifle weight. But they have improved.
  19. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

myarmor - I noticed you chose a 4-16x40 Mil-Dot, and the scope does the job. Even though it may not be like the high dollar scopes, IT DOES WHAT YOU NEED IT TO DO! That is reason enough to get a scope of any kind!

Since the originator of this thread was talking about an approximate $200.00 range, I wanted to be sure he had another scope brand to consider, in the price range.

At our range, they always talk about the correct scope being one that costs at least as much as the rifle it is going on. While I do have some scopes, 5 to be exact, only one is mounted, and it was on the rifle when I bought it. Not being a scope person, that scope will come off, if I ever shoot the rifle. Even at my age (nearing 70), a scope gets in my way, as I like good iron sights, and can still hold my own in most shooting competition.

`