410 Full Brass (no plastic)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TGF, Mar 15, 2009.

1. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

I purchased a 410 lever action today, and I want to do something special for it. I want to use 410 all brass shells. I searched quite a bit read alot of stuff but didn't find a whole lot of what I wanted. I found parts for it but just gave me more questions.

Do you need a nitro wad, fiber wad, and an over shot wad?

Is there no shot cup?

I found a site that says you can resize your brass with a marlin 444 die and you should put a small roll on the end for tube feeds.

I guess mostly I am looking for some guidance as this seems to be a fringe area of reloading.

Thanks

Also if you got a book recommendation on it fire away.
  2. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

Make my own out of .303 British brass by anealing and fireforming.Try this site(www.endtimesreport.com) it is a survival site 410 brass shotgun shells are there and loading tips.:) Loading splitshot on monofiliment fishing line was my creation and was not given credit on his website,he never heard of it until I explained it in a email(Oh Well)info is there.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Beat me to it about converting .303 Brit.
  4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Very interesting, and a great link !! Thanks.
  5. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I believe Brownell's or Midway sells brass shotgun shells. The shot cup is a relatively recent innovation that protects the shot from deformation while travelling down the barrel - not needed, but it helps a lot in keeping your patterns tighter and more consistent.

I would use an overpowder wad and an overshot wad with a slight roll crimp. The wadding can affect your patterns, too.
  6. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

Yes, teach, i have been doing a ton or research on this subject and found that the traditional nitrowad, fiberwad, shot, overshotwad setup does not pattern well in modern barrel. Apparently in older shotguns they had a very short forcing cone and this setup worked well. Newer shotguns have a longer forceing cone and work better with the plastic shotcup style of loads.

Also i was able to find much more on black powder using all brass rather than smokeless. I am thinking of trying out plastic shot cups in the full brass.
  7. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

If it will seal the bore and prevent gas leakage it should work.And yes the web mostly offers black powder loads.Maybe PMC has data,they sell or used to sell formed brass shotgun shells.:)
  8. catfish

catfish G&G Newbie

can you use a 45-90thru 45-120 cases for 410 brass shells ? just asking
  9. Onesonek

Onesonek G&G Newbie

These would be too large in the head/web area, and rim.

I would chamber cast just to see exactly where I stand. But assuming it's a rather typical .410 chamber. I would use and anneal 9.3x74R brass blown out. Then use plastic wads with an overshot card with a light crimp.
    Being these are rather low pressure rounds, you won't need to worry about FL sizing. I would short stroke 44mag dies. I don't know that just a universal deprime die and a 44 crimp die would be enough for the job. Can use .444 brass for shorter version as well. If they chamber hard, then maybe the .444 dies for more body sizing may be required.

Dave
  10. DaTeacha

Don't know if this will help or not, but I was at an auction over the weekend. There were a couple of rounds there built up on the RCBS .45 BASIC case. I don't know if those are the right caliber for the .410 ga.

Also, you might want to check out CH-4D, also known as CH Tool and Die. The company used to make inline progressive presses. The new owner brought the whole thing down to Mount Vernon, Ohio. I got one of the presses at an auction, found the company, paid them a visit, and found more dies for more calibers than I ever heard of. Plus they will happily make dies for whatever specs you want. They even had a shell holder for a 40mm AA round! Google them and see if they have something already made up for your purpose, or just have some ideas for you.
  11. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

The rim on a .444 is a little undersize and could cause an extraction problem,even the brass formed from .303 needed a little bevel on the inside of the rim to chamber in my shotguns.Just chucked them in a drill (before fireforming) and with a 3 cornered file took the square edge off just enough to chamber and close action(.410 shotgun shells have a rounded edge)it dont take much.Price for 9.3x74R brass is expensive if you can find them compared to the .303,the payload for 410's before they came out with the plastic wad was 3/4 ounce's of shot,it was droped to 11/16 oz.with the comming of the plastic wad(something to think about).I gave $23.00 for 100 .303 brass about the cost of 25 already formed brass that are stamped 410,dont matter to me even if I had a .303 rifle they would not chamber and would not be a safety hazard .Weigh your shot with wads(they are also part of the payload) and use charge of powder specified.I like the #4 shot and load also the round nonremoveable splitshot crimped on 80 pound test Monofiliment fishing line they hold a patern for a long way,it has removed the head of a Turkey I once shot and for larger game is a good choice.My Dad taught me how to make them years ago.Just remember to weigh shot,it would also work on Canadian Honkers and will remove a head or wing verry easy.:)
  12. catfish

catfish G&G Newbie

magtech brass shotgun shells

sportsmansguide has reloadable brass shotgun shells fromm 12 ga to 9.1 gauge just thought i would let you know 25 for 19.95 plus s&h 12 ga down to 9.1
  13. DaTeacha

I think it would be wise to check the legality of making a literal "shot string" like Dakoma's talking about. The migratory bird laws are pretty strictly enforced sometimes and that seems like it may not be exactly what the doctor ordered, especially with lead shot.

It seems that would also make a very nasty personal/home defense load, too. How many pellets and string will fit in a 12 ga shell? How close together do you put the split shot for maximum effect? This could be a whole new realm for the experimenters out there.