'42 Izzy and 42' Tula face off

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by MrCatch22, Oct 12, 2013.

1. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

Hey Folks,
    Just picked up my 2nd 91/30 the other day. My first 91/30 is a '42 Tula, which my wife bought be as a gift. It's an amazing rifle, was very well built, and appears to be all original parts...the guy at the factory had a stamping fit, and marked pretty much everything, including 6 different places on the stock!
    The new guy in town is a '42 Izhevsk. I was pretty stoked to get an Izzy, as a lot of folks seem to harp on them being of your more common war-time guns (though I seem to recall that many were favoring Tulas a couple years ago).

Here's my one-off comparison:

(1) Tula has VERY smooth barrel contours. Izzy, on the other hand, has very clear ridges where the barrel was turned down along it's length.
    (2) Tula has a perfectly filed front sight, whereas the Izzy's post is very rough.
    (3) The cut-outs in the stock are really nice on the Tula...it really looks like a craftsman put some pride into fitting that stock! The Izzy's stock is pretty rough.
    (4) The triggers on both are much nicer than on most other 91/30s. I prefer the Izzy, as it seems to be a different style...thicker, and shorter.
    (5) The rear sight on the Izzy seems to have been notched with more care than on the Tula.
    (6) The Tula is definitely marked better; all stamps are crisp. The Izzy had several that were messed up and redone.
    (7) Both have great bores, and the crowning is original and in nice shape. Bolts are both pretty much identical, as are all other mechanical parts.
    (8) The hardware on the stock of the Tula is much nicer. The Izzy is bare-wood around the rear sling notch, and it only has partial metal slats in the front sling mount. The Tula has solid metal all the way around the sling points.

Endstate: The Tula was put together in a much nicer fashion than the Izzy.

So what's the point of this post? There really isn't one, I guess. Just wanted to point out that something an old collector told me seems to have proven true in this case. He told me that when 91/30s first started coming in, no one really cared what they were buying, and everything was about the same price. You just picked the rifle that looked the best. Somewhere along the line, folks decided that Hex beat Round, Tula beat Izzy, then Izzy beat Tula, etc etc et al. Guess it really all comes back down to the individual rifle, and not the factory it came from, eh?

*Edited for some grammar and shortened a bit*
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. Mosinnewbe

Mosinnewbe G&G Regular

Congratulations on your rifles. I like my Tulas the best. One I put a PU scope on.
  3. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

Thanks! Mostly just wanted to post the comparison because I've always wondered about the different manufacture methods, and can't figure out some of the changing definitions of 'desirable' traits, makers, and models of the Mosin that are tossed around by various sources.

I never knew that Izzys and Tulas had different triggers, so that was kind of neat to learn!
  4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

The only thing that really matters is which one shoots better!
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Some of my Tula rifles have came with Ishevesk triggers in them and vice versa. What differences would you be referring to?
  6. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

The trigger in the Tula is longer, and has more of a curve. The Izzy's trigger is shorter, and seems like it angles a bit more towards the shooter. Almost like the aforementioned Tula trigger, but with the bottom 1/4" or so cut off. It is also a bit thicker, and is pretty boxy.