45/70 to big...?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by RugerBob, May 22, 2007.

1. RugerBob

RugerBob G&G Newbie

hi all, I have been looking at getting a 45/70 lever action or single shot buffalo rifle. Is this to big of a gun for deer? I hunt in maine ,open sites and uaually use my 30/30. I do not want to waste the game, but I sure want one of these rifles. I do not want to over kill, I shot a friends 45/70 and find that I am more accurate at 125-yds open sites then I am with my 30-30 at 75 yds. Any insight appreiciated. I would also like the 45/70 for range/fun shooting. So ,I am sure I'll get one just need to know if ok or over kill for deer. thanks Bob
  2. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

The 45-70 is in no way overkill for deer, the big bullets just plow right on through and hit like a truck, they don't mess up meat like smaller, faster cartridges do.
  3. mike dakota

mike dakota G&G Newbie

Yeah and in the Marlin, if you reload, you'll have enough gun for whitetail, grizzlies, and everything in between within it's effective range...maybe 150 yds max.
    A 45/70 in a Ruger #1 can be souped up to take on cape buffalo if you like to live dangerously.
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

if you shoot 'em in the heart broadside, or headshoot them cartridge choice isnt very critical in regards to wasting meat.
  5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have seen them used in northern Michigan on whitetail quite a lot especially in heavy brush.I cant see where they are any harder on meat than a smaller bore.They seem to stop deer good.I really dont think they need souped up as the standard loads work well on deer. samuel.
  6. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I'm looking hard at a 45-70 single shot NEF myself. I assume that's the buffalo rifle your referring too. If/when I do get a 45-70 I plan on shooting deer with it.

My first deer gun was a 30-30. My buddy used a 444 Marlin. You could definitely tell whose deer got hit by which gun by meat damage alone. Not that it was that bad...but you could just tell.

Half of my State is forced to use shotgun slugs for deer. Now there's some tissue damage from 500 grains of lead!
  7. mike dakota

mike dakota G&G Newbie

Very true, although my experience with the 45/70 is limited to a 350lb back bear and a mature whitetail doe taken with a contender carbine. TC frame strength limits the load I can use with a 350gr round nose to only about 1750 fps mv. Heh...heh...
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  8. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

Remember though as the .45/70 Factory loading is somewhat anemic as compared to what it is capable of in modern firearms. Industry has kept it so as the round is still used (surprisingly often) in trapdoor and rolling block rifles it is chambered for.
    Just a caution...
  9. RugerBob

RugerBob G&G Newbie

thanks for replys all. to killer- I am not really refering to the single shot Buffalo gun, tho I do like the price-349 here-in both 45/70 and 38/55. Lever action is what I prefer. I am eventually going to get into 'cowboy action shooting'. So I will be getting the 45LC lever to that looks identical to the marlin 1895 lever gun. I had not thought of head shot verses heart shot. thanks for bringing that up. I just want the quickest kill possible, as I do have a love for most animals(more then most people I've met)thanks agian all for the info, and have a good evening all Bob
  10. davemuzz

davemuzz G&G Newbie

I bot a Marlin 1895XLR last year. I handload, so I experimented with different bulllets from soft points, hollow points, and all cast lead bullets. After a lot of reading and a bunch of shooting (the shooting part is much more fun than the reading part), I settled on using a trapdoor load (even though the Marlin can handle much more) of a Cast Performance 405 grain over 45 grains of Varget.

I sighted in my Williams peep sight to zero this load at 100 yards.

So, in Pa's combined buck\doe season, I had not shot a buck and on my last day of rifle hunting, I took the Marlin (instead of the .308 scoped) thinking I would just take a doe (which I did). The big doe stepped out at just about 100 yards and I put the bead right behind her shoulder.

The 405 grain lead flat nose performed like it's maker said it would. No expansion. So, 45 cal. hole in, and 45 cal hole out. What really tears up the meat is the hollow point's that expand and take out a hind quarter.

These lead flat nose bullets have a whale of an impact, but don't expand....so they don't come out like a mack truck.

For this fall, I'm upping the powder charge to 55 grains of Varget and setting the zero to 200 yards. This gun is exceptionally accurate and will have no problem taking down a whitetail at that range with this bullet.

Dave
  11. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

There's oviously better choices of calibers to use to harvest deer.
    But I feel if you really want to drop one in there tracks it's one of the best choices. I love large caliber bullets (not magnums) because they get the job done more humainly (my oppinion) and less tracking.
    I use a Marlin 375 caliber as my main der rifle and when I shoot a deer in the upper shoulder I find busted up lungs and internal body parts all over the ground along with the deer.
    You may loose a little meat ,but I could care less about that.
    I want the deer dead in his tracks after being hit where it want suffer.
    ...A.H
  12. bigandrich44

bigandrich44 G&G Newbie

I use a .243, and I've never had one run. Or walk more than 1/2 a step. I think the .45-70 would be a great deer rifle, if the range is right.
  13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

davemuzz WELCOME TO GUN AND GAME thanks for joining...A.H
  14. hagfan72

hagfan72 G&G Newbie

that is a good deer cartridge, since i am assuming your longest shot will be under 200 yards. I considered getting one for elk out here, but I will stick with my 7mm Mag. As far as meat loss, if you do your part and put the bullet through the boiler room, all you will loose is a little rib meat and the heart. I know some guys like to eat the heart.

But as far as a head shot, I would never ever EVER advise anyone to take one of those. If you can't reach the heart/lung area, wait for a better shot.

I have had the same results with my 7mm Mag. Never ever have i had one walk let alone run on me. If I handloaded, that 7 mag would be even MORE versatile!
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  15. bigandrich44

bigandrich44 G&G Newbie

I agree, I have 2 7mm Rem Mags, I help my grandad reload for them, and I made a 1000 yard shot this year on my bull elk. VERY flat shooting.
  16. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Whats wrong with a Head (Or neck) shot ? I've killed more Game and more Dangerous Game with Head shots than any other...And I ain't eatin the Head !
    Rich
  17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i'll almost agree with people that dont like the head shot. the average guy out hunting is marginally capable of making a lung shot on a whitetail at a hundred yds. myself , if its inside of 75yds and its not a wall hanger, im putting the bullet in the brain. past that take out the heart. i always love when people complain about destroying meat, well quit shooting them in the shoulders or a**. the head, or heart kills 'em fast with no meat loss. of course some cant handle looking at a critter with its eyes bugged out of its head!
  18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

1,000 yds????
  19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I think he meant 10yds,just tripped the 0 too many times. samuel.
  20. va_hunter

va_hunter G&G Newbie

I've had my marlin 45-70 for two years and no problem with losing meat. Knocks 'em down. Last year i re-sighted using the Hornady LeveRevolution. wonderful load (for those of us who don't reload). and if you do go after larger game, you will still have plenty. PMC makes a +P cartridge. A little stiff for me to shoot until I added my Limbsaver recoil pad.

GO BUY IT!!!