50GI vs 10mm vs .45 vs 454 casull Balistic Testing with Pics

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JeanClaudeSegal, Oct 14, 2009.

1. JeanClaudeSegal

JeanClaudeSegal G&G Newbie

This is pretty interesting ..i thought i should post it..

Had some extra time on my hands yesterday so i took a few hrs at the range to do some of my own Balistic comparison testing using 3 sets of wet soapy phone books submerged for 1hr measuring a total of 17inches per stack..And below i have posted some pics of the depth results and expansions...My velocities might not be accurate since my guns are not full length in size so you might wanna average a few hundred fps less than what is listed below..All tests were shot from a distance of 17ft...I will list from best to worst..From my tests the best expansion was the 50GI SCHP which measured 1.05" Shot from Glock21SF .50GI conversion 4.6" Barrel...2nd place 454 Casull Barnes X HP,expanded .65" ,Shot from Ruger Alaskan 2" Snub...3rd place 10mm Federal HydraShock expanded .63" Shot from Glock29 3.7" barrel.... 4th place The Gold Dot and Magtech .45 both expanded at .50" Shot from Glock21sf 4.6" Barrel... 5th place The Winchester SXT expanded at .48" Shot from Glock21SF 4.6" Barrel...and the Aguila had no Expansion when shot from Glock21SF 4.6" Barrel..The Aguila bullet is a fragmenting bullet that is suppose to fragment into 3 pieces when impacting soft tissue...In this case nothing happened so i gave it last place...As for penetration I have it listed below with the pics..The penetration results i tried to take exact measurements since it was hard to do this with a measuring tape using phone books..The Best penetration so far that i have seen from my guns is the .454casull penetrating at a whopping 15"..Feel free to comment

Attached Files:

2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

VERY interesting.

I would take the Winchester 230 gr. bullet. Lowest velocity of the group and still in the middle for the penetration.

I would have loved to see how the 230 gr. Hydra-Shok would compare to these. Your Hydra-Shok was the lighter 185 gr.

Thanks for the Post!
  3. JeanClaudeSegal

your welcome..glad to be here..Here are a few more comparison..not balistics just cartridges

Attached Files:

4. TeeRex

TeeRex G&G Newbie

Great first post! Nothing like a little practical field testing to really know what each load will do.

Welcome to gun and game.
  5. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Awesome post, no "theories" or "what ifs" involved, just pictures of bullets that have been collected after they did their job.

This kind of data is priceless.
  6. JeanClaudeSegal

To me they all worked except that Aquila bullet...Im glad you guys enjoyed this
  7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Maybe the Aquilas worked exactly as designed. They are getting pretty bad press because they are supposed to be able to penetrate bullet proof vests, which automatically makes them "copkiller" bullets. If they penetrate vests, why not wet phone books?
  8. JeanClaudeSegal

According to Aquila ..the bullets were designed to be frangible,,when it hits soft tissue on impact..it is suppose to fragment into three pieces..So for some reason the bullet did not do its job..I shot 3 of them into the phone books and they both turned it out the same..I dont know if i have a bad batch of bullets..but i am willing to try again..

9. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Originally Posted by gandog56 [​IMG]
    Maybe the Aquilas worked exactly as designed. They are getting pretty bad press because they are supposed to be able to penetrate bullet proof vests, which automatically makes them "copkiller" bullets. If they penetrate vests, why not wet phone books?

I have never trusted Frangible bullets. I guess I'm old fassion with that. I still only carry solid FMJ, usually S&B, in my .45's. Once I get a little more confident in my hand loading ability I will most likely carry cast SWC hand loads in my .45's.
  10. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

Maybe try shooting them into a jug of water rather than the phone books.
  11. JeanClaudeSegal

i might probably do that next time
  12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Great post. Thanks !!
  13. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

That 50GI looks like it would really make a mess of a bad guy if needed.

Thanks for the post I really enjoy reading as well as testing various bullets in wet phone books.
  14. JeanClaudeSegal

your welcome..here is the 230gr sold copper hollow point test results..

I recieved my batch of 230gr SCHP a few days back and today i got a chance to test them out using the same 15inches of Wet Phone book method... But this time the phonebooks were soaked over night and i was able to gain a much more softer tissue...Also instead of doing my normal 17ft-18ft distance....i chose to do the standard 10ft as what they normaly do when testing bullets in balistic gelatin...My results will impress you on depth and expansion..As you know all of the SCHP bullets expand as wide as 1inch as its suppose to..the first shot fired i did not recover the bullet..it seemed to turn a little high and existed with a huge hole..The second shot fired i still was unable to retrieve the bullet..but this time it didnt turn high it left another huge hole almost in the center...As i can see i am getting more than 15 inches of penetration and running out of space to shoot in the phonebooks..So i backed up another 5ft and shot my 3rd bullet ..I was able to retrive the bullet in the last phone book ,which penetrated half way through the last phone book.The expansion as you can see is below in the pic..The total inches measured was 13.20" to be almost exact...This is very impressive..i believe this could be a good candidate for hog hunting......Also please take in cosideration this new test has involved a more softer mushy phone book than the others that i have used in the past..also subtract 2ft in distance..

Attached Files: