6.5 Carcano Cavalry Carbine

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Dakoma, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

Got a sweet deal on this rifle along with over 70 pieces of Norma brass and would like to work up some loads.This rifle when I took it out of the box my wife thought was a toy,it is only missing the bayonet and assembly but is a small rifle,bore is verry good and not a gaintwist,verry shiny.Fellow I got it from said he shot roundnose .264 diameter bullets with good results but I happen to know they shoot more like a .268 diameter bullet and will slug the bore.It is dated 1936-XIV also Gardone V.T with a crown.Anyone load for the Carcano could use some tips ?Will post pics when I get a chance to take a few.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

I am shure I am not the only person that wants to shoot one of these rifles,and should be someone here that does shoot one.Please dont all chime in at once !!LOL !!!
  3. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

Thank you for all your help and information !!!
  4. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

I don't load for it. I can give you a few links though.
    Lee 6.5 Swede "Cruise Missile" in 6.5 Carcano - Cast Boolits
    Carcano Loading Data
    Carcano Homepage: Italian Military Rifles and Carbines
    Carcano Ammunition - Reloading He advises to use the RCBS shell holder instead of the Lee. The LASC site lists the #9 RCBS shell holder as correct for the 6.5x52mm. RCBS Shellholders listed by cartridge / caliber

I own one of these little rifles, but I still haven't loaded for it. I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful. This is the "Cruise Missile" mould. Midsouth*LEE RELOADING PRODUCTS*DOUBLE CAVITY REPRODUCTION 6.5MM SWEDISH 170GR MOULD
  5. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

A cast bullet would be great ,I have read the info on the cruse missle and seems it is verry touchy to load some are getting bullets hitting sideways at 50yds but do apreciate your help and thank you.May have to buy some of the jacketed bullets,my books show a .268 diameter.It is not a fast cartridge and presure should be kept on the low side.This one has a verry good bore ,nice and square rifleing for a rifle made in 1936 and shiny,about the size of a Red Ryder BB Gun and the wife thought it was a toy till I showed her one of the pieces of brass and got 74 all Norma and a few Privi .Thanks ,Dakoma
  6. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

They list a .264-.268 bullet so looks like slugging the bore might be best before chooseing a bullet,thanks for the info jimkim !
  7. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

I have one like it myself. I just never loaded for it. I always thought about rebarreling it to 35 Rem or 30 Rem.
  8. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

I've only shot PRVI factory stuff in mine but plan to reload in the future when I get enough empty brass. But for the lousy sights it doesn't do too bad, about an inch at 50 yards.
  9. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

That is pretty decent shooting for a Military rifle like these most claim a cluster 2ft higher than where they were aiming,read somewhere they were adjusted and set for 200 meters.A fellow I know in Texas said to rebarrel to 7.62X39 ,they make good truck guns and if stolen will turn up in a paunshop somewhere because they wont be able to shoot it but single shot.I like the 6.5 and dont know much about the Italian Carcano other than beeing short handy little rifles.
  10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Don't own one, never even seen one.
  11. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

Here i what mine looks like ,Cavalry carbine's were I think the shortest ,mine is missing the bayonet assembly.The reciever is split in the rear somewhat like a Mosin but the safety on the right is alittle diferent in the way it is aplied,pushing forward and rotateing upward locks the action and safety is aplied.You also need the clips like the Hungarian 8X56R only made alittle diferent but lock in the same way with the release inside the triggerguard same as the M95 Styer.Measureing from the tip of the barrel to the end of the stock it measures 3ft 3/8 inch,that is short !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  12. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

your missing a good thing they are fun. a newbee to Carcano should join gunboards, tons of good info there.
  13. Dakoma

Dakoma G&G Enthusiast

Thanks have a 10.4 X47 R Vetterli Vitali brass can be formed from 8mm French Lebel bore slugs .424,plan to fireform and will need a cast bullet of 300 to 315 grains.Bought the 6.5 Carcano so I would have a pair of Italian rifles.