6.5mm Carcano. Why the bad hype?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nick112207, Nov 18, 2007.

1. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

I have an old Carcano M91TS (Special Troops Carbine) that my grandpa gave me that he ordered out of the back of a magazine a LONG time ago. I've shot it. It hits exactly where i aim at 100 yards. So whats with all the people saying it sucks? Saying the bolt is weak? Mine has a very strong bolt, good action. It honestly is as accurate at 100 yards as my Mosin-Nagant M91/30. And this is even using the cheap Prvi Partisan ammo that is 14 for a box of 20. This rifle is original. Hasnt had any work done to it. So can someone explain why everyone thinks it sucks? Or are a majority of people just going off of stories they heard and not actual experience? Because this seems to be a wonderful rifle to me
  2. Tex in Maine

Tex in Maine G&G Newbie

The urban ledgan once again rears it's ugly head. I have heard all the same stories of how horrible the Carcano is, so I did my own research and I was not able to find any info to support this fact. As a matter of fact I found many articals that praised the accuracy and dependabilty of the carcano. Dave Emery who is a baliatitian for Hornaday Ammo wrote how the Italians used some of the best steel supplied by the czech's and that he personally wtnessed a Carcano fire a round the produced pressures inexcess of 90,000 psi and after the bolt ahd to be open with a hammer, he said the headspace was slightly increased but still fired fine. So, that being said I am more inclined to believe someone who's lifeswork is balistics than some guy who heard something from somebody else. Here is the artical, sounds like you do have a wonderful rifle and as well as a great grandpa for passing it down to you.

SHOOTING THE 6
  3. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Enthusiast

4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    Lee Harvey Oswald liked it fine.
  5. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

yup found both those articles on the web and read them. which is why i wondered why people think it sucks. I would like to get my hand on some of the Hornaday ammo though just to see how accurate it is out past 100 yards. Like i said my Prvi Partizan ammo works wonderfully at 100 yards and it supposedly under sized
  6. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

I read an article years ago that stated the inaccuracy of the 6.5 carcarno was due to a bullet length to case length ratio; didn't make much sense to me. I had a 6.5 carcarno carbine that was a great shooter and quite accurate. I have to admit, though, the cartridge did look somewhat awkward. I'd like to have another one. Too many arm-chair 'experts' who only talk up the brand name gear, anything else is faulty. My philosophy...If you have it and you like it and you're satisfied with it's performance then it's worth owning.
  7. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C.
    My personal opinion is that the bad rap goes back to President Kennedy being assasinated by a shooter using the Carcano.
  8. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

Yeah i have a high opinion of it. Love the thing. My grandpa also had the bayonet for it but my mom was already not happy with him giving me the rifle so ill have to wait on the bayonet for a bit
  9. Tex in Maine

Tex in Maine G&G Newbie

The more I read about them the more I want one, but I have a few projects in the works so it will have to wait for now, but I will have one in each calliber. At a gunshow a while back a guy had the 7.35 for $100 at the time I did not know much about them so I passed, still kicking myself for that..
  10. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

yeah nice little rifle. i like it. ive never actually shot a 12 gauge but my buddy said the kick from it is about like that
  11. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Enthusiast

Here are pictures of my Carcano 6.5 with the long range sights. Compare the settings with the one in that article.

Someone told me the 7.35 was not as good as the 6.5 but that's just heresay, don't know for sure.

Attached Files:

12. nick112207

nick112207 G&G Newbie

yeah my sites actually freaked me out one day. haha. on my rifle there is a notch in the hand guard where the sites are supposed to flip forward and rest in it. I didnt know this. i thought there was a giant chunk out of my hand guard. then one day, i dont even remember why, i flipped them all the way forward and noticed that oh gee, it fits in there perfectly. needless to say found some pictures and wasnt freaking out anymore. haha
  13. Falcon2

Falcon2 G&G Newbie

In the early 1950's the 6.5s used to sell for $10.00, and ammo was $6.00 per 100 rds. It made an excellent deer rifle, and you could order them from most gun magazines, I also bought an unissued Banner Mauser for $29.95, that I still use.
    Falcon2