7.62X25 vs. 9MM penetration.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by NRAJOE, Nov 19, 2003.

1. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

On left 7.62x25...on right 9MM...which would you rather have?

Attached Files:

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

THE LEFT.............

has the decided advantage here. more info bullet type, guns used, distance from target etc!!!:eek:
  3. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Either way, it means a dead goblin! :cool:

With the left load, if his buddy is standing behind him, ya might get a two-fer! ;)
  4. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

Off hand I would vote for the Tok round from what I've read and know about it.

But, on the other hand, I'm like Papa. I'd want to know the bullet type comparison, velocity and FPS comparison, distance, etc.

There is something to be said about a slower bullet remaining in the cavity to give it time to expand, move around, do damage, etc. Which, according to the pic, the 9MM looks like it could have done.

There have been far too many instances of a faster bullet entering....even hitting bone....and moving on and the perp walks away.

Once again it comes down to bullet weight, type, speed, etc.

But, pound for pound if the Tok is loaded correctly....forget walking home!

You have to remember...the 7.62X52 Tok was developed because the Russian troops and police (although some authors try to give credit to Czech troops) were encountering more and more thugs wearing some form of crude body armor. The round gave the edge to penetration and, after penetrating the 'armor' then it went on to do it's respectable job.

However, without the resistance of some sort (armor, etc.) the bullet is just too powerful...too fast to be a contender unless you're past the 35 yard distance when the round looses some of it's velocity and has the ability to tumble when it hits, then...watch out.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  5. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

PS, I LOVE the 52.............you betcha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very few guns have been known to take out two persons, one standing behind the other,..........but, the 52 has, he he he he.
  6. practical

practical G&G Newbie

I want the one that comes loaded in modern firearms, is easy to find at wally world, and most importantly I would practice with more often.
  7. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

Interestingly I see where, I think it's RCBS, sells a special die (to the tune of around $190) which which you can make Tok cases out of .223.

I did some looking at the cases and there is sufficient differences that I find it hard to accept that it's safe and/or easy.
  8. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

It's not hard, and there is no reason to buy the forming die from RCBS at the cost of 190.00. Just use a copper pipe cutter to cut the .223 case down to apx. 25-27mm, anneal the top portion, run it into a 7.62x25 die, trim to 25mm, turn the neck to correct thickness and load. I'd load the first shot at a 10% reduction to get it formed, but after that it will be fine. There are some differences, and really it's meant to be uesd to form up for the 7.63 Mauser. But it will work in the x25.