7.62x39 hunting load?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by wigmaster0, Oct 13, 2007.

1. wigmaster0

wigmaster0 G&G Newbie

I am curious about the 7.62x39 caliber. Is it sufficient for deer hunting? I have heard of it for years but never seen one up close. It was originally a military round correct? I am looking for a decent 1st rifle for my son and have been looking at the 243 caliber rifles. Yet when I see the pricing on 7.62 ammo I am thinking it may be the way to go. Anyone got any helpful ideas or suggestions?
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i myself would choose the .243.
  3. Full MeTal Jack

Full MeTal Jack G&G Newbie

Wig, you got my blessing. Yes, the 7.62x39 is adequate for bambi. Both my sons bagged their first deer with SKSs. It's not a long range round. maybe good to 200 yards. But most deer are shot at a average of 80 yards. Go for it. SKS are price right and great gun to shoot a couple boxes with the boy. $15 for box of 243, that get into your beer money.
    Buy the soft points for huinting.
  4. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

Yeah, its the same size projectile as a 308 it has enough power to take out a dear.
  5. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    id go with the .243
  6. Despoiler

Despoiler G&G Newbie

My father-in-Law uses the 7.62x39 for deer hunting. He has bagged more deer than I have. So it is hard to argue with his success. I still think that the round is on the lower end for deer hunting. At a close range it will be fine. But all shots are not at a close range, and out at 200 yards I would be nervous and probably not take the shot if I was using a 7.62x39. With a 243 no problem. As FMJ said most shots are at close range. So if you are in an area that most shot are taken under 100 yds then yes the 7.62x39 is fine. The 30-30 has proved that it is the hunter not the round, I have heard that more deer have been taken with the 30-30 than any other round.

Despoiler
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  7. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

It's fine for short range deer. I'd try to stay under 100-150yds, but then I do that with my larger guns as well. Hornady makes a V-Max load that should be pretty deadly as well.
  9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

the 7.62x39 is the equal to the 30-30 . that means short range 125yds to 150 maximum.
  10. Rem 742 30-06

Rem 742 30-06 G&G Newbie

In AK and SKS bullet spins end over end so more energy is released when it hits the target but makes gun less accurate. Good for deer at close range.
  11. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

This is a myth, just as with the .223Rem. They do tumble after impact, but not before. This is due to there being more weight in the rear of the bullet than in the pointed front, so the momentum tries to make the rear go farther, thus it tumbles.

As for what I'd go for in a hunting round; as long as your boy doesn't mind something with a 'kick' to it, 7.62x54R in a Mosin Nagant (m91/30, m44, m38, m39, m91/59, etc...) is a great deer round and has more than enough energy out to 2-300 yards. Mosin's are a bolt-action instead of the AK and SKS's semi-auto action, so will generally have a bit more accuracy. They kick like mules though with the metal buttplate. That's a simple fix with a Limbsaver® slip-on recoil pad, though.

We have a whole forum dedicated to Mosin Nagants, you should take a gander.
  12. leroy

leroy G&G Newbie

i think the 243 would make a better deer hunting gun. the sks and ak are fun to shoot but i dont like it for deer hunting that much. ive shot deer with a 30-30 and got along real good. and a box of bullets are only 13 bucks its about the same for 243 adn 270. they will all kill deer its just what you like to shoot
  13. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

killed two with my SKS.
  14. MinnesotaMan

MinnesotaMan G&G Newbie

Ok well im sorry for ripping on you guys but ive done research on the 7.62x39mm round, it was designed in 1945 by the russians. The 7.62x39 mm round had to meet the 1000 meter effectiveness standards, these standards ment that the round had to be alble to hit a human sized target from 1000 meters and at the same time be able to mame or kill the enemy. So this means that the round has an effective range on it and it has the accuracy to match. I myself have a chinese made sks. I have it sighted for 300 yards right now and I killed a 150 pound doe last season from 350 yrds with it. So if you think that they created a military round to only shoot up to 150 yards you are wrong. There is also another up side to this rifle, it is semi-auto and it has a 10 shot magazine. This means that if you miss you have another try if what your shooting at doesnt run. I am not trying to kill the .243, I have used the .243 and i have bagged a small doe from alost 550 yards with it. It is also a great first gun and i respect your decision. I just needed to get the point across that the 7.62x39mm round is military established and ment for long ranges. thanks
  15. TikkaTakDriver

TikkaTakDriver G&G Newbie

Bullet drop for a 7.62x39 is considerable after 300 yards. Not that it is ineffective, but alot harder to make a long range kill with. Like everyone else has been saying, I think it would be a great round inside of 200 yds.
  16. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

I can settle this...

Get both!

Use the .243 for hunting.. Obviously some target shooting will have to be done time to time to build and refine their skills with their hunting rifle, but that doesn't mean you can't have a more economical rifle to target shoot with too.. I can remember years when I didn't go through 20 rds. in a whole year w/ my hunting rifle, so the .243 ammo won't break you..

By having the SKS too (or anything that shoots the 7.62x39) you will able to spend that much MORE time at the range w/ your kids... And possibly even keep 'em out of trouble! lol
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  17. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

A far less expensive and much more practical for hunting solution, JAC, is a David's Collectible Mosin Nagant Rubber Recoil Pad. They cost about $15 and install in seconds; and they don't affect the look of the Mosin much. I have them on all three of my shooting Mosins. They reduce the kick to almost nothing and make it much easier to stay on target to observe the impact. I recommend them highly.
  18. COVERT IND

COVERT IND G&G Newbie

I think its funny all the thoughts and tribulations that seperate us by our own opinions, lol. I would honestly have to ask a couple questions before leading you on to what you should buy. First, its your sons first rifle! I still have the rifle my father gave me at 8 y/o, so with that said I'd lean tward the much nicer .243, think of it this way. When you are gone and your son pulls his first rifle out of the safe to remember you by, would you rather him be holding a nice .243? Or an SKS/AK47? Taking your son or daughter hunting means more than the gun, it does to me anyway. But like the gentlemen said earlier, SKS' are cheap to buy and the ammo is abundant and its another great way to spend time with your son, so if it were up to me I'd buy both. But I still believe that hunting is a special event with our kids and should not be skimped on. Thats just my 2 cents. Sorry if I offended anyone.
  19. AsianBoy1992

AsianBoy1992 G&G Newbie

hey get a 7.62x39

get a ak or sks if you plan on hunting close and not like 200 yard hunt.
    back when i was in asia i went hunting my dad had a m1 carbine and my brother got a ak-47 they kill a wild deer and wild hog so i doubt a 7.62 is weak because in asia were im from we asian hunt with homemade musket to sks,ak-47,m16,and m1 carbine because in Laos were im from we got no bolt action rifle like 30-06 and .243 or .308. took a wild asian elephent down with 1 shot with a .30 carbine.... but it really up to you what caliber you want.

but rounds are really good i bet no deer want to get hit with nither rounds
  20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Welcome aboard Asianboy 1992.Hope to hear more advventures and experiences from you. ,,,sam.