7.62x54r surplus

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Asbestos, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Newbie

How much surplus ammo do you think is left, I bought a case of 7.62x54r 6 months ago and it was dated 1984. When I went to the J&g booth at the gun show last weekend, they no longer had 7.62x54r in wooden crates just in cardboard boxed. So im wondering if the surplus is about to run out because when did the Russians stop producing the 7.62x54r round. Also my yugo 8mm surplus is dated 1986. I know the .303 ran out a while back do you think these two will be dried up in a few years?
  2. Vintovka

Vintovka G&G Newbie

i'm not an expert, but the 7.62x54R cartridge is still in use, so as long as laws regarding the importation of military cartridges don't change, a world-wide shortage is not forseeable. the political climate in our country has been pretty volatile recently, with prices on milsurp higher than it probably should be. but you can still get ammo at reasonable if not great prices.

cheaperthandirt and midwayusa have late-70s/early-80s russian light ball on sale presently. i have used that before and its good stuff.

ammunitiontogo doesn't have any currently, but they might get some back at some point.

there are plenty of other places to find ammo but those three are my mainstays. good luck!
  3. potbellyFin

potbellyFin G&G Regular

Hard to say. Whenever the cold war era stuff is gone its probably not going to be as available. Most of this was stored up for the war that did not happen.
  4. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

LOL! they won't run out in your lifetime! we might not get it imported to us, but there's enough!