7mm-08 ammo recommendations

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Long Gun, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Long Gun

Long Gun G&G Newbie

I am looking for recommendations for 7mm-08 ammo for deer hunting. This is my first 7mm-08 so I am researching. I have read good reviews of the Hornady light mag, 139 gr SST.
    If anyone would like to comment and also offer why you make your recommendation, I would be interested.
    Realisticly, I would expect 95% of shots to be under 150 yards and the vast majority of those to be inside 100 yards.
    Thanks,
    LG
  2. turner

turner Suspended

LG, Congrats on a very fine choice in a caliber for deer hunting! Among the very best ever designed for CXP2 game. You have a good choice of bullets available and by using Hornady's LM round, you turn your short action 7mm/08 into a long action .280(itself a GREAT round) for all intents and purposes. I use the LM ammo myself, but like the shots you have described, I likely don't NEED to use it, so may well change when I need some fresh ammo. My first choice will be the fairly new Federal Fusion ammo. I've used it in my new .338 Fed and am quite pleased with it's accuracy in it. I'd also try another Federal loading the Speer hot-core bullet, as it's designed to be used in deer sized game and open quickly. Most who have tried it, swear by it.

MidwayUSA - Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 7mm-08 Remington 150 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Soft Point Box of 20

MidwayUSA - Federal Fusion Ammunition 7mm-08 Remington 140 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Box of 20

Of course, the Barnes "X" bullet variations and the Nosler Partitions are also excellent choices, but likely unecessary for the type hunting you described. What type rifle did you choose, if you don't mind my asking?
    Good Luck.
  3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

the regular hornady interlock is devastating on deer and cow elk
    the sst is the same bullit with the tip which makes it expand faster
    the horn light mag should be more then adequate for what you want it to do.
  4. Long Gun

Long Gun G&G Newbie

Thanks gentlemen (or so I assume) for your advice. I will be looking into these as I continue to research as I have plenty of time between now and next season to kick all this around.
    As far as what I picked up, I traded for a Remy 700 classic. The 7mm-08 was apparently chambered in 2001 for this particular Remington variation. The gun was really clean. I want to believe it had been shot, but there was no evidence of brass in or around the bolt head. Got the box and paper work too.
    I had a Tikka 270 WSM that I traded for it. Good gun, shot well, but the magnumitis finally withered and I had a hard time telling myself that the plastic magazine, floor plate, and trigger guard would stand up like real metal would over the long haul. I shot the Federal Fusion in it. I did not think one thing about the "less perceived recoil in the WSM" or flinch one bit when I squeezed the trigger on a deer, but I did not look forward to verifying zero before season every year. When the dust settled, I decided on the 7mm-08 and then found this 700 classic.
    I am still waiting on my rings to get here as I have had trouble finding the ones I wanted. But supposedly Optics Planet had access to them and said I should get them in about 2 weeks. I'll top it off with a Leo 3-9x40, Vari-X II and sight it in once I decide on the round.
    There's the whole skinny on this little endeavor. I hope this gun is a shooter.
    Thanks again on your suggestions! I'll be checking back in later.
    v/r
    LG
  5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Great Rifle, great caliber! Sound like a winner to me! Congrats on the new rifle! Lets see some pics when you get her scoped.
  6. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

try that fusion in your 7-08
    i wish they would sell them as a component
    as the only factory rounds my rifles ever see is one box when new
  7. turner

turner Suspended

The rifle is a nice one, congrats!... I own 2 700 Classics and really like their stock design. I have a very similar scope on my 7mm08 mod 70 Featherweight a Vari-xII 3-9x40, suits it very well. By the way, I used to own a SS/Lam T-3 in .300WSM and I had the same feelings about the plastic parts. It was a good rifle and shot very well, just not a big fan of plastic stuff on my rifles....even have an aversion to fiberglass stocks, which so many others like so much. I suppose I'm just odd. Good luck with that new rifle and scope

8. Long Gun

Long Gun G&G Newbie

Just checking back in for other comments and had another thought about the plastic stuff on a firearm. I bought a Savage .17 HMR a while back. It had a plastic trigger guard. I took care of that too. I had a friend cut a rough shape of the plastic trigger guard out of a piece of alloyed aluminum and hand-worked it down to a suitable form. I didn't do too bad of a job. Metal just seemed more appropriate - especially for something protecting a thing such as a trigger.