7mm-08 - enough gun?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by cabinnut, Apr 16, 2012.

1. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

Anyone have any experience with the 7mm-08 on large deer, say mulies or big Canadian whitetails or similar size game? With the Hornady 139 gr SST in particular. Enough gun, assuming good placement? How does it compare with .270 in 140 gr ballistic tip? Any real world experience with it would be helpful.
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

All the gun you need

This is one of my two favorite cartridges. It is totally adequate for your purposes. The 7mm/08 with a 140 grain bullet originated as a target round.

I enjoy both the power of the cartridge and the lack of recoil/muzzle blast associated with larger cartridges.

Best wishes.
  3. MTWillie

MTWillie G&G Newbie

Seen a 7mm-08 take down 2 elk in the past, so yes. Any caliber can be good with proper technique.
  4. waterdog

waterdog G&G Newbie

Nat. ain't wrong, I'd listen! I just shoot a little bigger(.62 ) same case tho.
  5. FortyXDM

FortyXDM Super Moderator

This is still an overlooked cartridge. Probably due to all the hoopla surrounding magnum mania. For anything up to Elk, this is one of the best game cartridges ever made. It can be shot accurately by all but the most timid of recoil sensitive shooters. The 7x57 (7mm Mauser) never really got enough traction from hunters here due to being a European cartridge. The 7mm 08 changed that somewhat. While they are nearly ballistic twins, for the average hunter the 7 08 is logically the better choice.
  6. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

thought of another 7mm-08 issue - what about trajectory? Decent ballistics out to say 250-275 yds?
  7. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Nathangdad on trajectory of 7mm/08.

As I mentioned, this round started off as a target round. If you have high quality optics and a good gun all you really need is practice. It is my observation most people lose out on longer range accuracy due to lower quality optics.

The 7mm/08 is just fine at longer ranges. Again, you do not have the muzzle blast and recoil of the larger cartridges.
  8. Jim Rau

Jim Rau G&G Newbie

As stated above, this is one of the best if not the best and most over looked cartridges for your intended purpose. I have killed deer, and hogs in Alabama and elk in Montana with mine and ALL were one shot kills.
    It is the ballistic equivalent to a 270 in energy and trajectory but with less recoil and muzzle blast in a smaller rifle. It don't get any better than that!!!!
  9. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

It's a highly under rated cartridge and performs exceptionally well. One of the finest deer cartridges ever. I am not a fan of the 139gr SST. In my 280AI I can't keep them together. Very little can be recovered. For a broadside heart/lung shot they might be ok but they are way to explosive for anything else in my rifle. I won't use them on anything but small game. Sierra Game kings hold together better for me and are about the same price and just as accurate as the Hornady.
  10. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Enthusiast

i have seen what they will do on a very LG western PA whitetail id guess live wight of 160-180 pounds with that bullet. a nice small .284 entrance hole and a nice big golf ball sized hole on the other side at about 150yards. the deer feel right over.
  11. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

agreed ...sst's from hornaday will hold together a tad better and still give you near target accuracy.

thumbs up on the 7-08. it would only come in second to a .243 for medium game as a low recoil, high accuracy round imho.
  12. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Well men I have all the .284 caliber rifles up to and including the 7 mag. and I like them all, they all preform wonderfully on anything I have used them on, and I think or at least it is my opinion that it is the ballistic preformance of the .284 bulllet more than it is the particular mode of launching of the projectile.
    Steve
  13. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input. Saskatchewan in early November (yes, I'm voting absentee before I go!) I'm hoping will result in a 160 class or better whitetail so it will be a 300-325 lb animal. Not going all that way for anything smaller. But I feel comfortable now with the 7mm-08, in Remington 700 with a Cabela's Alaskan 4-12x scope. I've taken small whitetails here in PA with it, 125-140 lb range, and it was DRT but Saskatchewan bucks are a different breed my brother tells me - he's been there many times but had doubts about the 7mm-08. I'll tell him to join G&G and learn something!
  14. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

If you can't kill it with a 7mm-08, you probably don't need to pixx it off in the first place! :D
  15. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

For a deer that big I'd probably use a Barnes TSX bullet instead of an SST. The Barnes will help with penetration on that big body; but it's all personal preference.
  16. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

^ good point, I was still thinking PA deer on the bullet. A guy can learn a lot around here!
  17. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

As mentioned above, the 7mm-08 is practically the ballistic twin to the good old 7x57 Mauser, so here's a little reading that may interest you. Just more proof that magnums are made more to separate your arm from your shoulder and your money from your wallet than any other reason:
    W.D.M. Bell and His Elephants
  18. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

Mr. Bell sounds like a very interesting guy -wonder if he ever crossed paths with Mr. Churchill in the Boer War ? Ironic both played a part in Dunkirk heroics. That generation produced some remarkable Brits. I'm thoroughly convinced now on my 7mm-08...seems I've been under utilizing it all along, though I can't say I've had many chances at elephants here in the mts. of PA! And I think I'll pass on the brain shot in Saskatchewan - high shoulder should work from what I've just heard. Thanks, all.
  19. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

while i personally dont care for shoulder shots, i prefer to either scramble their brains or take out the heart. having said that, you can feel confident in the 7mm-08, its capable of killing the biggest whitetails at distances 98% of hunters have no business taking shots at.
  20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Mr Bell, were he alive today, would still be preaching "Shot Placement" and he'd be right.
    Being able to sublimate "Buck Fever" and calmly make the shot very precisely is your key.

When you see the deer, "Relax, take a nice deep breath...and think of something innocent, but don't smile".
    Reason you don't bare your teeth, they'll pick up on it for MILES...and think you are a bear or other predator...
    Little something I've been noticing over the last few years...try big toothy smiling at a deer you don't want to shoot...watch 'em haul buggy away!