8mm Mauser Pet Loads

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by ninwnc, Jul 3, 2006.

1. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

Does anyone load for the 8mm Mauser? This is the .323 M98 version. I have recently bought one and am looking for a good starting load. Accuracy is what I am looking for here.
    Any info will be appreciated.
    Nick
  2. USMC0332

USMC0332 G&G Newbie

With my Sported Turk, 2 MOA is the best I have been able to get so far. I have been using H4895 around max with 200grn Speer softpoints. I have not had great results with Sierra 175grn softpoints, or 180grn ballistic tips yet. I may have gotten the best I am going to get, but that won't keep me from trying. I may wind up screwing that swede barrel on it and buying another 8x57.
  3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

dont have an accuracy load, but i do have a hunting load for it. 170gr hornady round nose over 49grns of IMR 4064. this is not a starting load, work your way up to it.
  4. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

I just loaded up 50 rounds with 170 gr. Speer bullets over 50 grains of H-414. I will work from there.

I also have some H-4895 and some 200 grain Speer bullets, and may well try some loads with them.

Thanks for the input.

Nick
  5. USMC0332

USMC0332 G&G Newbie

Somebody must have some good loads to let us in on. I have some new loads to try loaded up, but I am new at this and am interested to see what works for others.
  6. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

I normally use the Sierra Load Manuel for data. I normally start with their listed "accuracy load" and work up or down from there 2/10ths of a grain at a time. That usually makes a good starting point.

If I don't have a bullet that matches the data, I call'em. They are very helpful. (even if you are not loading their brand of bulets) These guys are very knowledgable, and easy to talk to.

Nick
  7. Indy

Indy G&G Newbie

The Speer manual lists higher pressure loads for the 8mm. It suggests the loads are to be used in 98mausers only. I would most likely use the loads in Yugos, Czechs, and 98ks. Although, I suspect the Turk surplus ammo exceeds the limits listed in the manual, and I use it in Turkish mausers. I have a VihtaVouri manual that lists loads where the pressure reaches 3006 limits. In Europe they tend to load the military cartridges on the high end. The lawyers here in the States hold back the reloading companies. The Vihta manual only shows their powder but they are up there. If you would like to use some of these loads, and have the Finnish powder available I will post some for you. Please let me know what weight projectile and I will show the information.
    My loads have been on the lower end, and like to other gentlemen I stay around the Sierra accuracy suggestions.
    Indy
  8. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Newbie

I went to the range to try some of my loads, and found the scope I had mounted would not depress enough. So I changed out the scope and will try again soon.

Nick
  9. USMC0332

USMC0332 G&G Newbie

I shot a couple of groups at 1 1/2" with 180grn ballistic tips using 49 grns Varget yesterday.
  10. allan1898

allan1898 G&G Newbie

I load light for targets, as I"m not hunting. 43.5 gr of IMR4831, CCI primer, 150 gr SP bullet, I can't tell any difference between Speer or Hornady, so whichever is cheaper at the time. My Turk will hold 1.5" group at 100 yds with this, provided the light is just right so that I can see with my lousy eyes! I shoot iron sights, and can't recommend this load for scoped rifle, as the bullet drop will mess with you. Like I said, this is a light load. Recoil is pretty mild, too. I tried less powder, but the cases don't expand quite enough to get a reliable seal, so this is the minimum load for my rifle. Seems to shoot most accurately with lighter loads. Works not as well in my other Mausers, 2 to 4 inch groups there. Some day I might get enough time to work up loads for them, too.
  11. hulk58

hulk58 G&G Newbie

I have had good results with hornady 150 interlocks over 48 grs. of varget with fed 210 primers.In my k-98 this load has printed under 1 inch at 100 yds. this rifle is scoped.
  12. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

13. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

Indy your right about Europe loading to
    max or near max levels. I got some Yugo
    surplus ammo that will flat out turn you
    around. The Turk ammo will too. Its a
    lot different than shooting American
    170 gr. I don't have dies yet but am
    going to buy some soon. I want to
    try Hornady 150 gr. or Sierra 150.
    Should be a good deer load.
  14. 4rum

4rum G&G Newbie

Standard disclaimer of starting well below and working up applies.

Some years ago I acquired a '98 with a beautiful bore and chamber. I tried everything I could find available commercially. Finaly bought a set of dies and started. Found some Hornady 150 grain spire points locally, had WW 760 on the shelf. When I got to 54.9 grains I quit. I couldn't ask for better accuracy. It shoots sub MOA from the bench at 100 yards consistantly.

This is a compressed load dropped in with the use of a drop tube !

I have shot several white tails with this load. None have taken a step after being hit. Terminal ballistics are awesome!

I do suggest you take ALL safety precautions before loading this heavily. Have your gun checked by a competant smith for head space and overall reliability and operability.

Start well below this charge and work up gradually ... I did.
  15. wcassidy

wcassidy G&G Newbie

I just started loading for a K98 i picked up and haven't really been able to test the accuracy of these loads or build them up at all. for plinking fun i use a 185gr core lokt remington on 41 gr of varget, feels like a .30 carbine round, not good for much else but punching paper, now with the same 41 gr of varget and a hornady 195gr there's a decent hunting round in the making. as i'm ever in search of cheap clean ammo i've begun stealing the heads out of surplus 8mm and loading them on my own brass so i don't have to worry about corrosive primers and the like, haven't tried them yet.
  16. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

easily hits golfballs at 500yds!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????
  17. jtuck

jtuck G&G Enthusiast

That's very impressive. My grandma could spit through a Cheerio at ten paces.
  18. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

those golf balls are in a semi truck
  19. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I've been using the same with my K98, but my loads are not near max. I think I was using 42 grains with the 200 grain Speer SP's
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
  20. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Try that with a bow and arrow!