8x57mm vs. 30-06

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rimjob, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

I've been helping my dad locate a new "brush" gun for walking the property. He is leaning towards a merkel SR1 in 8x57mm. Its the newer "js" round that is creeping on 3,000 fps.. When he asked me what the difference was between that round and the 30-06, all I could say was that the 8x57 was a lil shorter...lol

So here I am. Asking you (Europeans especially) what is the difference????
  2. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

I use both of the calibers regularly. You'll have an easier time with the 30-06 if you don't reload. However, I reload the 8x57 and created a little 16.5-inch barrelled Turkish Mauser, just for a truck and brush gun. It shoots into 2 inches at 50 yards with iron sights - good enough for the purpose.

My load is a 185 grain PSP over H4895. Don't know the bullet manufacturuer, they were bulk buys from midwayusa.

The 8x57, with it's .323 bore, will carry a bigger bullet than the 30-06, with it's .308 bore.

Bottom line, if you handload, the 8x57 is great. If you will stick with commercial ammo, the 30-06 is probably a better choice.
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

agree with first poster

The 8X57 is a classic round primarily identified with the German military in WW1 and WW2. It is very adequate for deer sized game and would make a great self defense round. It is not popular commercially in America so ammo is difficult to obtain at retail outlets.

The .30-06 is widely available at retail outlets in a large array of bullet weights and designs.

So, the .30-06 is a better choice for a person not really into handloading.
  4. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

Thanks Guys!! I understand that the 30 is more readily available. More interested in the differences in the two rounds.. Guys at shop say the 8x57 can do ANYTHING the 30-06 can do.. Would you all agree or disagree with that statement??

Hey cold queso, you said
    "The 8x57, with it's .323 bore, will carry a bigger bullet than the 30-06, with it's .308 bore"..

Does that mean the 8x57 drops faster than the 30-06 with the same weight bullet over the same distance? Can you describe the difference in the ballistics of the two?..
  5. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

This depends on the powder load and the bullet

In standard industry loadings the 8X57 is not as powerful as the .30-06.
    It does not have the range and power at longer ranges of the .30-06.
    Yes, the 8mm is wider in bore diameter than the .30-06 but this is not the only measure of comparison.

I suggest you go to Remington.com to use their high quality ballistic comparison program.

If you wish to take a modern gun capable of higher pressure loadings then, yes, you can handload the 8X57 to equal or exceed standard industry loadings for the .30-06 but I am at a loss as to why you would want to do this other than just a personal interest.

It seems to me someone is hung up on the 8X57 and needs to mellow out a bit.
  6. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

Thanks nathan, I know either one will be fine for what he wants (mostly a toy to play with) lol... I've just never been around a 8x57, and was curious. When they made the statement about the 30-06, it REALLY made me curious!! I guess I just got lazy this time and hoped someone w/ some experience could give me the basics. Which you now have..

Thanks again!
  7. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

With good handloads or European ammo the 8X57 will do whatever the 30-06 can do. American factory loaded ammo is kept at low pressures due to the old military rifles out there and the two different bore sizes available.
  8. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

9. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

When handloaded to a stout level (I won't give my loads on here), that 185 grain bullet from the 8x57 is much more potent on deer sized game than a 165 grain from the 30-06.
  10. Snowman

Snowman G&G Newbie

I'll throw my 2 cents (maybe 1.5) in here. I own both calibers but I don't reload. I would say that someone who really knows what they're doing could reload both to very similar performance. One may have an advantage over the other, but I doubt it's much. I love them both.
  11. Onesonek

Onesonek G&G Newbie

The 30-06 from both factory loads and reloading point of view, has the ballistic edge over the 8x57. It has larger case capacity, along with the higher expansion ratio. Couple those two aspects, with that available bullets for either, the ..30 cals tend to have higher ballistic coefficients.
    But for your stated purpose as far "brush gun" I see little difference between the two performance wise at short to modest ranges. The 8x57 just makes a bigger hole, and sometimes that may be desirable. Personally I could see owning a 8x57 loaded with a 200 gr NP for an all purpose round. But the 30-06 is a grand old round also thats hard to beat. If you don't reload, ammo availability would be a deciding factor for me.
    Having one of each would be great!
    Dave
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  12. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

In factory form and comparing like bullet weights, the 06 outperforms the 8x57. This is not to say the the 8x57 is a bad cartridge. It is a very good one, and quite capable of taking anything that the 06 can.

By reloading, you can get the 8x57 to perform like the 06 factory loads.

I have an 8mm-06AI that shoots well and was an easy conversion on the 98k mauser.
  13. Rntobey

Rntobey G&G Newbie

the 8x57 is an excellant round, except for bullet selection.that might change with the 325wsm becoming popular. if i had to choose between the 8x57 & the 30-06 it would be an 30-06. the 30-06 can be handloaded for just about any critter in the country with the exception of the big bears in alaska.
  14. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

The use of 8x57 is growing rapidly in Sweden these days, according to a hunting magazine I read. And they're hunting moose and red deer mostly over there, but it would be just as nice for wild boars as well.