9mm vs 40cal Stopping Power

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SasquatchSniper, Jul 7, 2009.

1. SasquatchSniper

SasquatchSniper G&G Newbie

How much greater is the stopping power of the 40 compared the 9? I know neither compare to the 45.
  2. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

Actually there's less difference than you might think among the better loads of each cartridge, even the .45.

Here's some stats on police/civilian shootings.

Stopping Power Statistics
  3. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

The 9 and the 40 are not even in the same ballbark the 40 has far more stopping power than the 9 . I would trust my life to the 40 everyday and not the 9 mm for 1 day . The 9 is strictly a soft tissue gun if it hits bone it changes direction no thanks . However the 40 will stop just short of your anis from ther top of your head . Massive wound channel tissue damage is the name of the game when it comes to self defense .
  4. Deep13

Deep13 G&G Regular

A hit center mass with a 9mm self-defense grade round means the guy is not getting up. The .40 SW is a little better than that. It is important to keep in mind the rounds you will be using. Light, FMJ 9mm is problematic. Naturally, you would not be using them for self-defense.
  5. lvlt

lvlt Suspended

deep 13, does your answer mean he may be able flop around a little before not getting up when hit with the 9mm?
    (lol)

pat
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

Hit where you need to and the bad guy will not know the differemce.
  7. the_harbinger

the_harbinger Suspended

imo anything .380 -.45 is plenty. shoot what you can handle the best.i love .45s but wouldnt say there the be all end all for everyone.get hydrashoks,taps or golden sabers(preferably in that order of avalibility)in the caliber you feel safe with . thell fall and not be in any rush to get back up
  8. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

Stopping power is a myth and a lie. The brain and CNS has enough oxygen for 15 seconds of full function if the heart is destroyed or stopped. The only true stopping power is a direct hit to the brain or CNS which is a function of shot placement and penetration. The idea that you shoot someone and they fall down is a psychological response learned in childhood games and from Hollywood movies.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  9. waterdog

waterdog G&G Newbie

or it could be ,you just don't wanna get shot again.LOL
  10. bigione

bigione G&G Newbie

I read a report from a Koresn Vet telling about walking along a road ditch with his unit. A large artillary shell removed the head of a companion. His corpse kept walking for about 15 feet. Stopping power depends on many things. I would imagine all else being equal, the larger slug that stayed in the body would be the best.
  11. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

IMO, any good self defense round properly placed will do the intended job. I carry a .40, a 9mm, and a 357 mag depending on the occasion and dress. I feel safe with them all. Most of the reports of 9mm being inadequate are from the sandbox where they use FMJ. We don't use FMJ for self defense, we use JHP.
  12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

About the same

with quality high performance expanding ammo (Gold Dot, Unicor, Winchester STX, Critical defense, DPX, Golden Sabre, etc.).

The key is shot placement and what you shoot better.
  13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

The 40 S&W is a Hot cartridge. Like One In The Pipe said the 9 and 40 are not even in the same ball park.
    When my son bought his first Glock in 40 S&W he and I shot about 60 rounds, you could tell by the sharp report it was Hot and we shot a varity of targets. Paper Targets, Shovels, and 12" lengths of telephone poles.
    Depending on thickness some shots when through some pieces of telephone poles.

It is an excellent self defence round and should never be compared with the lesser 9mm.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  14. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the
    9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the 9mm is better no the 45 is better no the

and on and on.
  15. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I don't think either would compare with a 12G! But if I had to have one, it would be the Forty. There's a big difference between the ability to kill and the ability to incapacitate. I'd prefer the .45 in a auto pistol though, .357 or .44 special in revolver.
  16. HEMI

HEMI G&G Newbie

I carry a 40 daily while on duty, would I feel less safe with a 9mm I doubt it.
    9mm 38 40 357 45 all with good bullets are effective, less wringing of our hands worrying about what to carry and more training -practice . Want a sure thing carry a grenade just don't forget to pull the pin!!
  17. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

Like I tell everybody else, get a 10mm 1911. You'll get the same results on people as the .45 ACP if you use real 10mm ammo, and you'll get good results on deer, too.

Jim
  18. danf6975

danf6975 G&G Newbie

as someone that has real world experiance and used 9mm as a duty weapon i have never had anyone NOT STOP after a single round at as far away as 25 meters.

i have never actually hit anyone with a 40 but i have fired it at balistics dummies and from the diference in patterns more damage was done.

but the idea of stopping someone and the ammount of internal damage are completely diferent

and as for how much oxiginated blood in the brain . that is not always relevant either.

your body is a machine and as such any damage to it can cause it to shut down in many ways. i have seen people rendered unconcious instantly from a blow to the arm
    i asked a medical doctor about the case and this is what he told me " when the body is subject to any type of trama mental or physical the brain has a tendancy to shut down concious motor actions and thought in favor of diverting resources to involentary controls "

he went on to explaine that the brain even 1/300 of a second before its dead can make these control changes and that every single person dies diferently and it can not be assumed that anyone will react a certain way.
    i asked him about suffocation and he said that is just as straight forward which parallels loss of blood from a GSW. your mind is compartmentalized so that it can shut off un needed parts to try and save the whole and as such any trama has a chance of upsetting a balance and triggering these self preservation actions.

what it all boils down to is if you shoot someone they may or may not be able to function regaurdless of how much blood they have availible in the brain as the brain can live for several minutes without oxegen .

as for a 9mm. never had anyone get up . so personally saying i would not trust something just because it isnt as big as a more damaging round is ignorance.
    all that is required is that the round stop the individual and if 9mm didnt work it would not be standard issue in so many departments around the world not just the USA.
    of course there are better but that doesnt mean it wont get the job done
    what you should wory about more than round size is are you proficient enough to use any round at all.
    if you cant hit the broad side of a barn with a 45 then why carry it when you may be able to use a smaller round with enough control.

now it is assumed that most people at these forums have some control over thier weapon and i feel that is a horrible assumption because not everyone here has been in or ever will be in a situation where they will be tested ( pray that you dont) and few have been throug actual training for it.
    i have actually seen men who where trained and veterans of several years still loose control and not perform so to assume its the stopping power of the round that will save your life is empty faith
    place the faith in your ability to train your physical and MENTAL skills to use the hardware you have availible to the best of your ability
  19. HEMI

HEMI G&G Newbie

Well said Dan, the best weapon we got is between our ears!
  20. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

Automatic pistol calibers are comparatively weak things anyways, next to even a light rifle cartridge.