A sad day

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by littlejoe872, Oct 23, 2008.

1. littlejoe872

littlejoe872 G&G Regular

It was a sad day last week. I had to sell my CMP M1D. I don't like selling guns, I only want to replace them later, but, I had to get a new roof on the house, and had to come up with some extra cash to pay for all the plywood they had to replace which ran the cost $2000.00 over what they quoted us at.
  2. gunnerdave

gunnerdave G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

That must have been exceptionally painful. My deepest sympathies.

Dave
  3. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

That happens sometimes.
  4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

That's a Bummer... I would have taken out a LOAN first !
    Rich
  5. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    I too had to sell a Garand recently.

I had a service grade that I had just put a Boyds fancy grade stock and a rack grade. I originally was going to sell the nice one and keep the rack grade, but I gave the buyer the choice and he wanted the cheaper of the two. I had $700 and $450 respectively in the two.

All I was asking was what I had in them; I really needed the cash. He was family, so he got a really good deal and I got to keep my pride and joy.

All in all, it worked out. You can only shoot 'em one at a time anyway. Right?
  6. robertsherrer54

robertsherrer54 G&G Newbie

The worst thing I have ever done is to sell my guns. I didn't realize at the time years ago how much I would want them back say 30 years later. I sold a perfect 1903A3 that I bought from Klein's Sporting Goods for 49.95 in 1963 and then three mausers two 98's and one 91. It is a terrible feeling.
    I'll take out a loan and learn how to eat pinto beans twenty different ways for every meal before I do it again. They'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off my M-1's and my M1A.
  7. JMax

JMax G&G Newbie

When my wife and two sons went to university I had to sell a bunch of guns including 2 1928 Thompsons. Been there and done that and it really sucks as you never recover what you has to sell.
  8. M1D-Garand

M1D-Garand G&G Newbie

I hope you'll get the chance to buy one back in the future!

Rob
  9. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

I guess I'll just hold on to the ammo until I get another bolt action.
  10. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

I know the feeling. Over the past year financial circumstances, daughter with cancer, forced me to sell all ny guns except a 20 ga. pump. Later it had to go too. The one that hurt the worst was my carry pistol, a Para P1245 LDA that I had for years. At my age, 70, and financial situation, Social Security, I doubt I will ever be able to replace any of them. However, when I sold the last one my 9 yr. old Grandson who lives with us presented me with a fist sized granite rock which we labeled "Homeland Security Throwing Rock". It sits in a prized spot next to my computer readily accessable to me or my Grandson in case of emergency. The thought he put into getting that for me makes it more valuable to me than a gold nugget. Lol
  11. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

I feel for you but it's stories like this one which make me glad to be domiciled in the UK with its National Health and social security systems despite any other perceived disadvantages of living there.
  12. ggordon

ggordon G&G Newbie

Yes, you have national healthcare but you're basic freedoms like firearms ownership are being eradicated.
  13. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

And yours are not?????
    All I can deduce from what I read is that you guys are just maybe 20-30 years behind us!
  14. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

Damned shame that you're probably right. We're too stupid to learn from the "Mother Country's" experience. The 20th century was very good to us. Good times breed soft people. We're becoming like the Eloi. The Morlocks will be upon us soon.

To the O.P., I feel for you. I had to cash in a Garand (SA in the 500,000 serial range) when some dumb investments came home to roost. I've been without one for 5 years now. I'm now shopping for one to be my Christmas present to myself.
  15. gunnerdave

gunnerdave G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

CMP still has some Service Grades. Best deal anywhere. Might want to get one while you still can. I'd bet they're going fast now. I ordered some ammo on 31 Oct & it's still "Processing". They must be getting swamped with orders.
  16. littlejoe872

littlejoe872 G&G Regular

update.... feeling dirty....

I'll never be able to get another one imho. I got it at a decent price when I bought it. $2500.00 back in 2001-2002 timeframe. I took it to a dealer that specializes in collectible firearms. He gave me $2750.00 for it, which is more than I paid for it, but less than I wanted. I was asking $3500.00, but would've taken $3000.00. I based this on what I saw them going for on Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc... I know what I was asking was less than I've seen them go for, so I figured I'd get at least $3000.00. So, the owner was hemming-n-hawing about it saying "with the economy, don't know much about these rifles, yada, yada, yada....." Then makes the offer. I took it because I had to.... Family comes first, and so on. I used 2 grand to make up the difference to pay for the roof, and the rest I thought I'd get something a little less expensive to ease my pain. Then, I thought more about it, and since I needed new tires on my truck, and money is tight, I used the rest to get new tires. Flash forward 2 weeks, and the new roof is done, new tires are on the truck, life goes on. I decide to hit the local gunshow just for something to do. I see the guy's table that I sold the rifle to. He has the usual stuff that I've seen him display at previous shows, along with the M1D I just sold him. He's busy with a customer, so I'm looking at his wares, and I look at the tag on the trigger guard of my former rifle. $4750.00.... 2 grand more than he gave me for it. I felt so disgusted..... I walked around at the rest of the tables, but as I think you can relate, the gunshow was ruined for me at this point. I decided to go back after I saw the rest of the show, and at least give him a piece of my mind. I had my 19 month old son with me in the stroller, by the way, who at this time had had enough of rolling up and down between rows of tables. So I stood there at his table for what seemed to be an eternity, and no eye contact, no acknowledgement, nothing. Since my son was getting very agitated, I left in utter disgust. I hope he never sells the rifle, and dies of ghonorrea and rots in H%##.
  17. ggordon

ggordon G&G Newbie

LittleJoe:

Was the SOB's name "Charlie"?

A lying cheat of a dealer that I know recently put an M1D for sale. I'm curious if that's him. I could tell you a few stories about this character.
  18. littlejoe872

littlejoe872 G&G Regular

Don't remember his name. The shop is in Sloatsburg, NY though.
  19. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Enthusiast

I've been thinking about buying certain guns just to sell later for cash, as an investment (ones that I wouldn't mind not having around later). It seems that just about every gun appreciates to some extent, knowing which ones will appreciate sooner and more is the trick!!!
  20. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I need some guns.