? about a felon shooting a gun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by HandsomeRob, Nov 21, 2007.

1. HandsomeRob

HandsomeRob G&G Newbie

My dad is a felon. And today we got into a discussion about guns and shooting like the discussions we have here on g&g. We both know that he cannot own a gun. But I'm wondering if he can shoot a gun at a gun range? Its been at least 7 years since he was arrested. I wondering if I can get into any trouble if I bring him with me to the range to fire off a couple rounds?
  2. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Enthusiast

check your local laws. if it was not a violent crime with use of a gun than i dont see a problem.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I think you better not, since under Federal Law, it is in his "Possession " if he is shooting it, and there seems to be no limits on time...once you are a Felon = Screwed. Unless he can get a pardon/ record expunged thing Legally, It can cost him 3 years Federal time. All it takes is for a LEO to see it/check him and trouble could begin! One that co-ops with the Feds and they come knocking...How do I know ??? They got my best friend for TRYING to order a lower that was left Handed...Got Denied because of a 20 yr. old Felony,that was supposed to have been expunged, but never was. They raided him and gave him 3 years, he gets out next year....
    He may be exempt as far as a Muzzleloader goes, but that depends on local laws...
    Rich
  4. SuckLead

SuckLead G&G Newbie

I don't know if it is federal or not, but at least around here a felon isn't even allowed in the parking lot of a gun shop. I believe no one in the house can own a gun, either, all guns owned by non-felons must be kept off the property.
  5. RedBeard

RedBeard G&G Newbie

Well, I'm a felon....and I shoot at the firing range all the time.

Mostly my .50 inline muzzleloader. Muzzleloaders are legal in Texas for felons to purchase, own and hunt with. Probably the same where you live.

Also...in Texas a felon can own a regular centerfire firearm in his home 5 years after release of supervision. But the gun must stay in the home. Although Federal law prohibits felons from purchasing one....so I guess it has to be a gift...lol

By the way, Modern inline muzzleloaders, along with modern ammo... like the Powerbelt aero-tip bullets, rival many centerfire deer rifles in performance...so I would check that out.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  6. blackhawk45

blackhawk45 G&G Newbie

A Convicted Felon,may not be in possesion of Firearms,If a Felon is found in possesion of firearms,he or she can and probably will be charged with another felony!! It just aint worth it!! REMEMBER (3 STRIKES, AND YOUR OUT )
  7. RedBeard

RedBeard G&G Newbie

Fact is we all live in dif. states with dif. laws . But many ppl just assume felons cannot possess any type of firearm... that's not true as stated above.

but check your own laws.
  8. cubbieman

cubbieman G&G Newbie

check federal laws too RedBeard, I think that is what is being referenced here
  9. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

I have a friend that is a felon and the judge told him he couldnt even have a bow! It is riduculouse, there are so many laws in this country that make you a felon that have nothing to do with violence. I can understand not letting violent convicted felons from being armed but a person who has commited a "white collar crime" or such is no danger to society. when comrade Clinton pushed for the law change to add to the list of crimes that would exempt more people from gun owenership it was just an excuse for backdoor gun controll.
  10. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Check both your state law and the Federal. Remember that the Federal is dominant.
  11. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

I'd have to check my laws to be on the safe side , if its ok go for it :burnout:
  12. HandsomeRob

HandsomeRob G&G Newbie

I've gone to Wisconsin's government site and read the legislature on there and it does mention anything about felons. Just that we have to right to own guns and can't conceal carry. But I went to the NRA website and it had a pdf saying it was illegal for a felon to possess a firearm. Although nothing is mentioned about muzzleloaders.
  13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

possession(that means having it in your hands) by a convicted felon is against federal law, and also most states laws.
  14. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

the key word is POSSESION

pos·ses·sion [​IMG] (p[​IMG]-z[​IMG]sh[​IMG][​IMG]n) [SIZE=-2]KEY [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NOUN: [/SIZE]

1. <LI type=a>The act or fact of possessing.
      2. The state of being possessed.
    1. Something owned or possessed.
    2. [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]possessions[/SIZE][/FONT] Wealth or property.
    3. Law Actual holding or occupancy with or without rightful ownership.
    4. A territory subject to foreign control.
    5. Self-control.
    6. The state of being dominated by or as if by evil spirits or by an obsession.
    7. Sports
      1. Physical control of the ball or puck by a player or team.
      2. The condition of being on offense: [SIZE=+0]The home team was in possession during most of the fourth quarter.[/SIZE]
  15. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

That is fact and federal law supercedes state and local laws.

And for those who might be felons who think that their state laws support the possession over what federal law is...well...keep believing that.
  16. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    felon=no guns
    or felon+gun=jail

half of my buddies cant come to my house because of the guns
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  17. gunney_m

gunney_m Suspended

Yeah man, sorry but that's pretty much it.
  18. gak906

gak906 G&G Newbie

It's pretty much cut and dry it's federal law... so that trumps ANY state. They (FEDS) will be the one's charging you with it. I understand the arguments. Will you ever get messed with , being law abiding and all probally not but there are alot of over eagar po po's and prosecutors. Be careful
  19. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    it stinks... but apparently handing your dad a gun is a federal crime.
  20. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

Yeah, he who hands the gun to the felon may soon be a felon himself.