? about ammunition use in Olympic Arms GI-16

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by corporalusmc, Dec 23, 2006.

1. corporalusmc

corporalusmc G&G Newbie

I just bought the Olympic Arms GI-16 AR15 Carbine. I am shooting 223 ammo out of it at the moment. Can I shoot 5.56 ammo safely with this rifle. I know the bushmaster you can, but what about the Olympic arms manufactured?
  2. Pred

Pred Suspended

You need to check and see if the barrel is marked 5.56 NATO. If so, you can use both rounds. If not, I would not recommend using the military loads.
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

Check with Olympic Arms and see what they say. They will know for sure.
  4. corporalusmc

corporalusmc G&G Newbie

sure thing. Thanks guys.n Semper-Fido !!!
  5. USMC

USMC G&G Newbie

The GI-16 is chambered for 5.56 Nato. You can shoot either 5.56 or .223! Semper Fi
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

This is one I dont understand.The 5.56 nato is same demensions,same everything as .223rem. What is different except maybe some mil-spec bullets? samuel.
  7. USMC

USMC G&G Newbie

There are slight differences. 5.56 chambers have more Leade than .223 chambers and the pressure is higher in 5.56 than .223.

Read this from Winchester:
    Winchester Law Enforcement
  8. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

It seems to me that with the little difference in pressures, etc. a .223 caliber rifle, of modern technology, should be able to handle the slight difference or it wouldn't, in my mind, be worth even having.
  9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

There are slight differences but the main thing is warranty of a firearm chambered in one and firing the other.
  10. corporalusmc

corporalusmc G&G Newbie

Hey guys, I used my AR-15 deer hunting this year a couple days in Wisconsin just to see how it would do. I used Winchester I think it was 64 grn.? power points, or 62? but anyhow, I had a side shot of a doe at about 50 yards runing full tilt broadside and 1 perfect shot it ran oabout 40 yards, but dead on the spot. Perfect shot, right behind the shoulder blade. Bullet passed clean thru 1 side out the other. I don't think I would take a shot more than 100 yards with this cuz I'm not certain if there is enough killing power with this beyond that distance. what you guys think? Any way, how does the 5.56 ammo compare to .223 in price. and If that 5.56 ammo is only FMJ, does it come in Soft point, or something legal for deer hunting. Does the 5.56 have more whack to it than the 223? And some good links to purchase this ammo at lowest prices. Remember, I used to burn up alot of ammo but it was in Marines and it was issued out. OH! Tracer rounds, best place to get those at lowest prices? And last of all, Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New years folks. Semper-Fi !! Med. Ret. Cpl. Martinez, Steven G. U.S.M.C.

Whats the difference in ballistics between 5.56 and .223? In simplest terms. Kinda tough for me to understand tech talk lol.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2006