Advice for shooting beavers

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by EHCRain10, Oct 7, 2007.

1. EHCRain10

EHCRain10 G&G Newbie

Hey everybody,
    im just looking for some advice on which gun to use for hunting a few problems beavers on my property.
    I have a bolt action 243win, ar in 223rem, and bolt in 17hmr to chose from.
    all of the shots would be within 200 yards at beavers that would be swimming around.
    thanks for the help.
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

years ago, we had problem beavers. #1 make sure you have written permission from the DNR to kill the animals that are causing property damage. secondly, if at all possible shoot them when they are on land. if you have to shoot them while swimming, if you can see any buildings ,property, or people in any direction it is not safe to shoot them. bullets can ricochet in any direction off of water. varmint bullets are you #1 choice for projectiles as they will reduce the chance for ricochet. your 17HMR is probably your best choice for shooting on the water.
  3. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

Lefty is right, Beavers are a furbearing animal, and are illegal to shoot, or are in my state. If they are close enough, I would personally use a turkey load out of a 12 gauge, might be more effective, with no richochet.
  4. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

In NH you need to be a licensed this-that-or the other to remove problem beavers. They dam up the brook behind my house all the time in various places. My wife and I come out in the morning and see drag marks where they have taken trees out of the woods and pulled them down the driveway and to the water.
  5. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

I always thought beavers were kind of cool, why would you go and shoot them? Also, where is the fun in that? If you want to make it interesting use a sharp pointy stick and a whistle.
  6. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

The problem that beavers cause is that they will dam up a tiny brook, and the backed up water will inundate your property if the ground slopes are not in your favor. This happened to a friend of mine. You now have a wetland instead of a backyard. Water can back up and come into your house if things go wrong for you.
  7. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

I can understand if they are causing structural damage to your house, but an ax can take apart a beaver damn. It is another thing to walk up to them and shoot them for no reason, killing them just to kill them.
  8. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Can they be live trapped ? And taken to a State or National park and released.
  9. Slow Fuse

Slow Fuse G&G Newbie

Why would you want to MURDER a perfectly good beaver that as I see it is not causing you personal harm. Get the D&R to help remove them.
  10. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

Not to be anti beaver or anything, but you can't, very successfully, just break thier damn with an axe (go take a look at one) and this only initiates further building sprees wich will compound your problem. In a couple of the states I have lived in the fish and wild life have actually used explosives to remove the beaver from areas where they cause excessive damage and destroy reparian habitat (yes folks the freindly beaver, not unlike man, alters its envoronment to a degree that it will destroy large numbers of trees and displace many animals that lived in the inital area). as far as getting rid of them first you need to check with your local dwr officer they may want to do it for you (in which case they will probably trap or kill the beaver then blow up thier lodge and dams). In some instances they are treated just like any other rodent (thats right a big dam building rat) and you may be free to do what is needed to get them out of an area where they cause damage to the reparian area along the side of the water way on your property. In any case they are a fur bearing animal, if you kill them there may be a season (in your state it lookls like it starts december first Furbearer Trapping Seasons . may get some advise here Virginia Trapper's Association and there is a link for a wildlife control trapper) and a tag that you need to buy to do so. Further, if you do kill them get close enough, or trap them, so that you can shoot them with a 22 or 17 and at least salvage the fur (by the way if you trap them right you wont have to shoot at all). they are valuable even in the day and age where people would call it murder to kill a rodent. Find some indians that are into thier native craft work or find some guys that are into mountain man regalia and you will be able to let some one get some use from the fur. By the way the tail is actually not too bad to eat. If you harvest them you may try it. In any event, let us know what you did and how it worked. good luck and I am off to go murder a deer and elk to feed the family this week. "Ward arent you being a little hard on the beaver?"

If you think its murdering to kill a beaver, why would you be looking in the varmint hunting area of a web site about guns? I hate to tell you what most of these guys do to prarie dogs.

PS here is what your state dwr officers will do if you have them come get your beaver taken right form thier site Nuisance Wildlife

"If this does not solve the problem, you can contact your local game warden for a permit to have the beaver trapped and euthanized. Moving beavers to other areas is not permitted under Virginia code. Moving them usually only relocates the problem to another area where the same problems then occur." darn even the state is into beaver murder

here is another interesting site for you to look at. and by the way it seems that your state law allows for the proprety owner to shoot the beaver out of season (I wouldnt do this as the fur is only worth having when it is a winter fur) Center For Human-Wildlife Conflict Resolution: Beaver
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Getting rid of a destructive pest isnt unusual and it is done all over.That is why they invented varmint rifles.Sure varmint hunters hunt and kill pests like hogs,woodchucks, gophers,beaver,fly,s,mosquitos,moths,moles,and such on the pretext that they are pests doing harm and should be controlled or exterminated.I personally do not care if bleeding hearts call me a murderer with no attempt to verify or qualify one sided statements but it might bother others.To those it may bother,just keep on varmint hunting as real men have always done and let the tree hugging bunny lovers(should I say beaver lovers)empty their spleen and be as judgemental as they wish.I just wonder who died and left them god? samuel.
  12. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

There you go sam! ( I knew I wasn't alone in this) But wait, I love a little beaver every now and then myself :09:
  13. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

As stated above a beaver is just another form of rat, the biggest difference is, a rat won't bring your house down around your ears or put it in the middle of a lake.
  14. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

To all who want to denounce the shooting of beavers, this is a hunting forum, so the idea of killing an animal (whether it be beaver bear, or rat!) shouldn't seem too outrageous. As for the rifle to use, I would use the AR-15, the .223 is a great cartridge to hunt beaver with, especially in semi-automatic format, I have seen it used on beaver many times with great success.
  15. Lng Rng

Lng Rng G&G Newbie

I am with Midas and Sam. Why would you want to shoot a beaver? Because I have yet to see an animal capable of the destruction of a beaver. I don't shoot them, but we have trapped them, and for good reason.

And I have taken apart their dams, only to find them perfectly reconstructed the next day.
  16. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

lng rng
    I think some people may not realize how many beavers there are in some areas, what they are really capable of, and that they arent a fuzzy little thing walt disney makes them out to be. I have seen blasted dams rebuilt in a matter of days. Often times the water that builds up behind them becomes filled with silt and can be so oxygen deprived it is uninhabitable for many speices of fish. we trap them too and get a good price for them here a lot more then people might think. how we trap them their always (99% of the time) dead when we get them out. But because we are usually in it for the fur we use small calber guns or (hold on guys) a nice club when running our traps. But i still advocate using or finding someone who may want to use what you harvest if you can. I have a few native american friends and they like me to bring them almost anything from porcupines to rock chucks to turkey feathers and deer capes. They would trade me something great for a good beaver skull that they would use for thier native art and I keep the furs its win win.
  17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

some people just have no idea how much damage beavers can cause.
  18. Muthagoose

Muthagoose G&G Newbie

flat tailed rats for sure.............

There are methods of controlling the water level in a pond. A long section of drilled 6"-10" diam pvc... Allow it to protrude 6' atleast from the dam.. Rip a slot in the dam down to a acceptable level and stake one of these down the beavers will do the fill for you..No matter how they try they will not be able to beat this.
    There was something similar to it on discovery..
    Aint a bunny hugger done my share of remove'n many, but I do like duck ponds...
    Otherwise its vermin control////
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  19. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

Actually it is SOUND management to occasionally cull beavers from an area, as well as break down a dam now and then. Beavers in many areas today have no effective predators that can keep their numbers in check other than man. Many states allow the harvest of beaver under a fur bearing animal permit or trapping permit (normally not very expensive). Beaver can and will expand their habitat to the greatest extent possible (creating a need for culling and control) and as young mature they will be forced by parents to leave their pond and create their own. Many years ago I observed the destruction caused by beaver in the high sierra, the year before I had reveled in catching native trout from an natural alpine pond, absolutely chocked with gullible fish! A year later when I made the ascent to that same valley it was entirely under water (beaver dams), no fish, no bear, no deer, no cougar, no nothing other than beaver damming up yet another culvert running from the pond. Suffice it to say I spent the day destroying as much of the existing dams as possible and if I had been toting a rifle as well as a spinning rod I'd have culled as many as I had ammo for! Additional consideration is that Beaver properly prepared makes a very good meal even the tail (if skinned and sliced like bacon the flavor is very similiar).
  20. shrub

shrub G&G Newbie

as said before beavers can cause severe property damage. destroying dams doesnt do any good-they just rebuild. live trapping and relocating isnt a good idea- if they are diseased then you are spreading the problem. id say trap them when the season comes around or ask the state fish and game agency if you can shoot them because of possible property damage. if they say no then wait until property damage looks very likly and and then shoot them.