Aguila Hyper Velocity .22lr question.

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by mossy500camo, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo G&G Newbie

I recently bought two boxes of Aguila Hyper Velicity .22 lr ammo. I fired off a couple shots through my Ruger Mk II Standard model handgun without any problems whatsoever. But! My concern is... is this ammo too HOT for semi autos? I mean I would compare the ammo to .22 mag. Every shot fired I saw a flame or Muzzle flash about a foot long. While shooting milk jugs and cans the targets were destroyed. I was like This is Unreal for a .22lr! Is it safe to keep shooting this ammo? or will it harm my semi auto?
  2. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I shoot them out of my 10/22, my Savage Mark ll and my Remington 597.No Problems.
  3. TomAnsley

TomAnsley G&G Newbie

My Buckmark eats them ok,BUT I used them in a Phoenix HP 22 and they did it in-Broke a part in the slide.Probably best used in a rifle.
  4. Greyhawk50

Greyhawk50 G&G Newbie

I'm not a gunsmith and not sure if I can give an educated answer to your question;
    but, If you read the Owners Manual on most semi-auto 22s, you'll find that the manufacturer recommends Standard Velocity Ammo or warns against using Hyper Vel. Ammo.
    I researched the same question concerning CCI Stingers in my Marlin mod. 60 and my Ruger Mk-II. I personally would not want to use Hyper Vel. Ammo in a mod. 60 or a 10/22. Might work for awhile but I believe it will eventually cause parts to fail. I believe Aguila Hyper Velocity are hotter than the Stingers???? However, I have a stockpile of Stigers that I would use in my Ruger Mk-II in a survival situation. The Mk-II appears to be all steal construction and doesn't have the alloy components of other firearms. For everyday range time, I use Std. Vel. bulk or match ammo as a cost savings.
    Just my opinion.
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The Ruger Mark I was designed to be fired with 40 grain roundnose standard-vel ammo. The Mark II is not that much more sophisticated a design. Check the owner's manual, but I would be very surprised if the Mark II is intended to shoot hyper-vel ammunition.
  6. mossy500camo

mossy500camo G&G Newbie

I checked. But I cant find where it says Standard ammo only. I mean these will not be fired on a regular basis. They are like $10 a box around here. So.... varmit or critter getter shouldnt hurt.
  7. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

$3.99 a box , I get them at the gun show here. usually buy 10 boxes
  8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

The Manual says :
    "The RUGER® MARK II pistol is chambered only for the .22 caliber Long
    Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry
    Standards. Do not attempt to load .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22
    caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22
    shot shells is not recommended."
  9. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I have a Ruger MK 3 and it has no issues with any 22 LR rounds I have put through it. It is a strong (although somewhat tricky to reassemble) design and I would not worry about shooting any 22 LR round through it. I have shot velocitors, stingers, yellow jackets, quick shok, and just about everything else through it. It is possible these might accelerate wear in the long run but I think that long run would be in the neighborhood of thousands of rounds and I don't see me as putting that many hyper rounds through it--I really don't have any reason. I suspect the muzzle flash is due to the powder burn characteristics and some incomplete combustion and that is it.

It is your choice but I would not worry about it--people shoot 22 mags through kel-tecs and the Ruger is a much stronger design so I think it will handle any 22 Long Rifle load just fine.

You might want to avoid these for a completely different reason, though. It has been my experience that the gun LIKES the run of the mill, cheap, 16 dollars for 550 brick bulk Federal and Federal champion loadings--both in terms of reliability and accuracy. I put ALOT of rounds through my MK3 so this is what gets almost all of the use. I do not expect a huge performance difference between the federal ammo and the hypervel stuff--at least not enough to affect terminal performance for what I shoot this gun at--so I go the cheaper route and shoot the bricks.

If you have a great concern I would suggest you email Ruger and the Ammo Company.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  10. mossy500camo

mossy500camo G&G Newbie