Air Rifles for coyotes?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nc.hunter, Aug 1, 2008.

1. nc.hunter

nc.hunter G&G Newbie

Guys, I am not going to hunt coyotes with an air rifle, but check out this review of the JSB Predator pellets, The review is from reviewcentre.com

Good Points: The JSB pellets have great penetration, fast and hard hitting. Dont dirty up the barrel to bad either.
    Bad Points: None that I can think of.
    General comments: I have just recentley bought a Crossman Seirra pro, shoots pellets at 1000 fps, So I got my target zeroed in at 40 yards! Even at that range the rifle still had 1.2 IN. groupings. After that, I went coyote hunting. It may sound inhumane, but I called a coyote in with my foxpro, and according to my range finder he was about 22 yards away. I was in a tree stand, I shot him right behind the ear. Dropped him on the spot! He weighed in at 36 pounds. Great pellets.
  2. tommy

tommy G&G Newbie

what caliber pellet?? i drop possums with my bejemin from 10 yards away with on shot but i don't know if i would take a shot at a animal the size of a full size dog with a pellet rifle my benjermin is .22 caliber it packs a wallop. did you ever thing of trying .22 shorts ?
  3. stevensj2

stevensj2 G&G Newbie

Likely not the best option, but it is certainly possible.
  4. nc.hunter

nc.hunter G&G Newbie

It was .177 caliber i believe.
  5. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I think .22 is the largest pellet they make or that there is isn't it? Even so, I don't think that or .177 would be good for anything bigger then a squirrel. And I wouldn't try shooting one of those beyond 50 yards. Like them or not, no animals deserves to run off wounded and suffer for GOD knows how long.
    Me thinks that's one of those FISH STORIES that people tell. lol You know, the ones about the one that got away. I don't think a pellet gun would take down a coyote...

Even though I'm sure this one would hurt like hell, I truly don't believe it would drop a coyote...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  6. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

If it was traveling around 1000fps and was a headshot I wouldn't doubt it for a second.
  7. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

hmm could be possible but i sure as hell wouldn't try it. i wouldn't try a 22 short either come to think of it. maybe a 22 lr at that range only because i know i could put it in his ear at 22 yards.
  8. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i dont shoot coyotes but thats beside the point.
    i wouldnt use a .22 on anything bigger than a p-dog.
    if i am going to go through the trouble of killing something .
    i want it dead for sure with one shot .
    no running away.
    no wounding.
    i owe it to the animal .
    i dont care what kind it is.
    i dont understand why people insist on not using enough gun.
    i dont care if you are carlos hathcocks little brother.
    i dont agree now
    and i am never going to!
  9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    do you think i was too vague with my previous post?:09:
  10. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

At 22 yards with the shot correctly placed behind the ear a one shot kill is probable. But, if the animal moves its head just as you shoot you have a wounded animal that is going to run off and die a slow painful death. Personally, I would not hunt coyotes any air rifle or .22rimfire. Just my opinion.
  11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

This Air rifle would have had to been one of the more expensive models? and of at least .22 cal for adiquate pellet inerta for a head/ear shot as I would think that the .177's wouldent have enough weight for the kind of wounding they were discribeing.
  12. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

they make some very large caliber, very powerful air rifles, but your standard run of the mill 177/22 cal air rifle is not a good tool for coyotes.
  13. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

A shooting buddy of mine has a collection of very high-powered air rifles that are amazingly powerful and accurate. You could drop a deer, or even an elk, with a well-placed shot using one of them...

...and, coyotes and p dogs wouldn't stand a chance. He cleans up rock chucks around the saw mill like they're mice.
  14. tippmann7

tippmann7 G&G Newbie

i wouldnt doubt it, but that would definetly not be what i would use and this person realy shouldnt have either, to much risk of just wounding the coyote
  15. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Bravo, billy!
    ditto, ditto, ditto
  16. tommy

tommy G&G Newbie

when i bought my benjamin rifle they asked me what type of pellets i wanted . i asked i didn't know there was a diferent type of pellet back in the day there was bb's and then there was pellets. but now they have the standards flatnose for target shooting and they have the pointed tip for maximum penetration for hunting ??? i said give me the pointed ones because i was buying the gun to shoot possums and stray dogs with it and i wanted a one shot kill. and believe me it does just that one shot and it drops a 20lbs possum and i bet a dog within 20 yards if hit in the right spot it would drop them too.. plus i plan on buying about 20 packs of pellets for storage for a shtf thing because why waist a big gun round when the .22 will drop a rabbit or squirel just as easy with no sound to give off your location. i was lookin at them crossman air rifles with i think it was 1700fps of force they said they are had-ass but istuck with the trusted name of benjamin i plan on putting a little scope on it later on. i know it will pop a hole through 1/8th thick alumiunum plate at about 20 yards with 6 pumps and thats pretty good and i think it only has like 600 plus fps of force .never under estimate the power of a air rifle it can get you out of a bad situation if needed . i wanna pickup a benjamin pistol one day too.
  17. grizzly13

grizzly13 G&G Newbie

when i bought a bengamin air rifle i found that just loading a short into one of my old bolt 22s had betterrange and accuracy with less noise
  18. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Some people must have me on ignore or something? GOOD, FOR THEM LOL! But it seems I say something, then someone else says basically the same thing and it's there's that gets replied to? Only reason it wouldn't get seen is cuz of the ignore list right? And, also why I brought it up, not cuz I care.

Example, what I changed to red in my quote and part of Billy's post. lol Don't know why I'm bringing it up or pointing it out? Then again, maybe because it's frustrating because it's happened a few times? Stuff like that can make a person feel not wanted or welcome here? Or that what they have to say isn't important. Not crying or whining. Just pointing it out. Can also make a person think twice about becoming a member? Could also be a/the reason brought it up or pointed it out.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  19. therifleman

therifleman G&G Newbie

nothing smaller than a 30-30 for me and nothing bigger than 7.62x54r i myself cant kill a bird with a bb gun, he just flys away.
  20. tommy

tommy G&G Newbie

who do you think is ignoring you??