AK74(polish tantal) vs. AK47 (WASR-10)

Discussion in 'AK47' started by caopai, Apr 25, 2010.

1. caopai

caopai G&G Newbie

I'm a prospective buyer of either an AK47 or AK74, and so far they both have pros and cons.
    The main concern I have with the Tantal is the inability to find ammo locally, most of the stuff I have found is online, but it is cheap, as opposed to the 7.62x39 which is readily available EVERYWHERE but is more expensive. In fact, the money I save on buying the first case of ammo for the Tantal will make up for it's more expensive price.

The second concern I am having is the overall quaity of each gun, they both feel very sturdy and I'm not EXACTLY sure of any mechanical differences, if any at all.

Any other points/suggestions/etc. will be greatly appreciated.
  2. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

While there is nothing wrong with the WASR, providing it's built right, I think the Tantal is a bit nicer rifle. If I didn't have AR15s I'd have at least one AK 74 in my cabinet.

Have you looked into magazines for both rifles? The 5.45 mags are more expensive and don't forget the ammo is corrossive as well. Neither is a major hassle but thy're still points to consider.
  3. pico

pico G&G Newbie

I would not buy a WASR. If comparing those two, then go with the ak74. The 5.45 round has some key advantages over the 7.62x39. It seems to be more accurate, and it is clearly less expensive. If you consider the mag price difference, then buy 10 high quality mags for the 3x cost difference and be done with it. You can buy 2x the ammo, and that is where the difference in price will save you a load of money. The ammo is corrosive, but most of the 7.62 ammo is filthy, which necessitates cleaning anyway. I see that ammo cans with the 5.45 are still selling for under $170, so buying in bulk for even less and having 12000 rounds of this ammo on hand is not as expensive as one would imagine. If you do you the 5.45 route, then I suggest buying as much ammo as you can. If ammo starts to dry up again, as it did after Obama came into the picture, this will be a hard round to find even online.
  4. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

If I had to choose between the two I would get a 74. But be advised a tantal is based off of the 74 and does have some differences that would make customizing difficult, such as the hand guard lock mechanisim and gas tube, which are different. Also the early century models had bad barrels, wrong diameter that would key hole after 100 or so rounds so check the bore before buying.

I would pick one of the Bulgarians or saigas given the option but get what you want. Also, any Russian ammo produced after 1996 will not be corrosive.
  5. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

Both are good rifles. WASRs are known to produce some lemons, but you get a chance of a lemon with any rifle, and at that price you can afford to fix the problem or just hawk the rifle. The problem is usually solved with an easy to order part or by passing it along to someone who feels like solving it while you reinvest in another rifle.

The function of the rifles isn't the only thing to consider. I settled on 7.62x39 for it's capability to penetrate cover and car doors in case of a fire fight, (which I know to many may be a disadvantage) and it's viability as a deer hunting round.

Have you considered a Lancaster 74? What about a Saiga in either round or even 5.56?
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  6. caopai

caopai G&G Newbie

I considered a lancaster, but I can't find any locally and I don't want to have to order online. And I haven't heard great things about saigas...
    Note that the main reason I am buying this gun is for plinking (I need something to shoot while my M39 is cooling off!). Thats why I am so concerened with ammo availability/price.

Thanks for all the input so far!
  7. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Haven't heard good things about Saiga's? Like what? They are some of the best AKs available and are produced in the same factory that Kalashnikov works at. They are as close to a real Russian AK as one can get without joining their military. They are the best AK variants I have owned. I think the only people who have said anything negative about them has never actually owned one and they get caught up on their sported configuration as they are imported as. Just consider that Arsenal, who has a reputation of producing some of the finest US AKs sells converted Saigas under their name.
  8. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

I have one of those Saiga/Arsenal rifles and it's da bomb!
  9. BarryHalls

If you want an AK that can give you the best accuracy for the price, throw down that $300 on a Saiga and convert it as you like.
  10. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

I was just looiking on the saiga website, or RAAC rather. and i noticed that they have the "OPTION" butstock which has a pistol grip and adjustable cheek rest. Now i must have one. I had wanted a saiga but was turned off by the lack of a pistol grip. ill take one in .223 please.

i know this is off topic, so i apologize, but how hard is it to scope a saiga? or any ak for that matter.
  11. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Buy a standard Saiga and convert it yourself, the one with the skeleton stock does not have the forward trigger group.

You can scope them pretty easily, however you prefer.

[​IMG]
  12. caopai

caopai G&G Newbie

Are saigas available in 5.45x39?
    I know I won't want one in 308 or 223...and 7.62x39 was the "fall back"
  13. BarryHalls

MAKE SURE you get the side rail on the Saiga, the one designed for mounting an optics rail to. THEN it is very easy to mount optics with a latch on rail from Kalinkas that comes up over the receiver either touching the dust cover or high enough to see your irons, your choice, for $45-$75 depending on the options you like. Yeah, there are other options for mounting optics on AKs, but they either remove you rear sight, mount on the forend, (way to far up for me), and/or wiggle, and/or don't hold zero, and/or cost much more.

IF you simply can't pass up a deal on an AK without the side rail, don't freak out! you can order one and put it on yourself OR have a pro put it on with just a few holes drilled and a few pins.

For an AK, which is primarily an "under scope range" weapon I love the raised optics rail that allows the use of the sights with a fixed 4-6 power scope OR the lower rails with a red dot sight.

@capoi

Yes, Saigas are most available in 5.45. They are famous for their NATO calibers because so few AKs are made in them, but whenever I search an auction site for simply "Saiga" about half of all the weapons shown are 5.45.
  14. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Yes, the one in my photo that I posted above is a 5.45 Saiga.
  15. caopai

caopai G&G Newbie

Why don't they list it on their website?
  16. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

They do. bottom of the page.

Russian American Armory
  17. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Regular

Save up a little more cash & buy a Bulgy AK74 like this one made by Lancaster Arms.
    I have one with the side mounted scope that is more accurate than my AR15.

AK74 Rifle For Sale Bulgarian
  18. G23c

G23c G&G Newbie

I'd go AK-74 and load up on ammo now. I'd go Bulgy, easy to get mags, furniture, etc.
  19. BarryHalls

I can't disagree, + they come ready to roll military style.
  20. CombatCamera

CombatCamera G&G Newbie

You guys are a baaaaaaad influence :D