American Eagle .22LR (Junk or not?)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Old Navy, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Old Navy

Old Navy Guest

Has anyone used American Eagle .22 ammo? I bought a brick of 400 rounds on special for $5.89. I figured I would burn it up plinking with my Ruger 10/22. Yesterday at a trip to the range I used up about 120 rounds. I have come to realize that I am pretty luck with my standard 10/22. It is far more accurate than most right out of the box. The only mod I have done was to put a Yellow Jacket in it. Anyway, I was really shooting well with my Simmons 3-9X32 putting MOA groupings of 5 rounds at 30 yards and about every six or seventh round, the rifle report was not as sharp, the recoil was (subtly) not as noticeable, and the round would impact ¾-1 inch lower than the rest of the grouping. The first 5 times this happened I figured I shanked a shot which I do often enough, but I usually shank it to the left and not down. After a while the pattern emerged and I really began to notice the reduced noise and recoil that accompanied. Anyway… to make a long story longer, is this symptomatic of the poor quality of production in all their products, just .22LR, or just a bad box of shells.

Also, can anyone recommend a reliable .22LR round for competition shooting (I have started my own Black Death Challenge w/my buddies) as well as a reliable hollow point round for hunting squirrel?
  2. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I've used American Eagle 38gr hps for years with great results. They shoot within .1 of what I got with Eley 10X in two 10-22's that have been extensivly modified(the only part that's still Ruger is the acton body and mags). The 10X's shoot .4" @ 50 yds. the Am Eagle goes .5" These are 10 shot groups. A Rem. 581 shoots .75", and a stock Rem 597 goes 1.0" also at 50 yds. I've never experienced the light reports you mentioned, nor have I had any misfires like I've had with almost everything else. The worst stuff is any Remington .22's. They flat out SUCK! Lousy accuracy and bunches of misfires. Worst part is I've got several thousand of them because the wife collects those tins they put them up in. Try some of the hollow points before you give up on them. Even my High Standard Victor likes them.
  3. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I haven't used the American Eagle yet - sounds like my experience with the Remmy Golden Bullets. Rather inconsistent.

Try the Winchester Dynapoints, in the white Bulk pack box. Lower velocity than Hi-vels and higher than the standard vel target ammo, but also good consistency and accuracy.
    Of two dozen .22 rifles I have, only one or two don't shoot it well. :)
  4. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

dave375hh, I agree with you about the reliability of Remington .22 ammo. We have a kids' summer camp up here that has a .22 rifle range. They use about 30,000 rounds a season.

At the end of each summer the camp would have a tin can full of Rem. Target .22 loads that misfired. Over a hundred rounds. I used to take them and try them in a S&W .22 revolver. They still wouldn't fire.

A few years back the camp changed over to Winchester ammo. At the end of the summer there were four misfired rounds in the can. Four out of 30,000 rounds.

I'll never buy Remington .22 ammo again. Centerfire ammo, yes; but not rimfire.
  5. incucrash

incucrash G&G Newbie

American Eagle is good, federal cartridges :)
    I like it, I use AE .223
  6. Old Navy

Old Navy Guest

Two Dozen!! :insane:

Big Dog.... please allow me to leave my address with your wife in case of any unforseen circumstances requiring an estate sale!!
  7. Troy

Troy G&G Newbie

i like the federal 550 bulk pack, alright accuracy, consistant shooters, very few misfires. the ones i get are the hollow point copper washed ones. they are like $16 for the 550 brick.
  8. Big Dog

Old Navy - 28 at last count! Yep, I collect them. Kinda like Lays potato chips - just can't stop at one.
    So, often each one seems to like a different brand or type of ammo. Luckily, I usually do well with about four different brands - they'll work in most guns well.
  9. stangman

stangman G&G Newbie

I've found that the AE's work great in most of my .22s but I do have a couple that just don't like them.
  10. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

My Ruger Mark 2 Competition Target really seems to like those :target:
  11. Old Navy

Old Navy Guest

I'll keep an open mind with the AE's. I do dislike the Remmington. I just burned through 150 rounds of Rem and although there was no noticible change in report like I experienced with the AE's I had a few misfires where the rim had an apprecible strike mark from the firing pin. Also, I would have thought that I would have been shooting better with the practice just a couple days earlier, but with the Remmington ammo my groupings were wider.

I have decided to record my progress and built a little spread sheet to help me take the subjectivity out of the process. This way once the scores are tallied, I can just look at the percentages and track trends. I also take the advertized data on the round from the box so I can tell over time what my little rifle likes best and how to get the best performance from the loads. It is also a good repository for tracking cold zero and hot zero and scope adjustments, although I will really need to shoot at a longer range than I have been to get some real data to crunch on zero.
  12. G Hollingsworth

G Hollingsworth G&G Newbie

Ok guys, I own a match 22 that is worked and I mean worked. and I will go into if interested,but, I never had good luck with bulk 22s. At 30 yds I punch one hole slightly larger than a 22 dia. Big dollar Rem. sucks but surprisingly Winchester hi speed does very well. This is off a sand bag front and rear w/ 6 power scope,leupold mount and scope. I hear all kinds of talk but when you find out what works for you, stick to it.
  13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

most bulk pack ammo is less than what i would consider good quality. some people say they have good luck with winchester dynapoints. every rifle likes something different. unfortunately for me the million dollar 22 likes eley match eps, it aint cheap shooting at $8 a box but it has turned in .320" ten shot groups at 50 yds off of a bipod so i dont !!!!! about the cost.
  14. Ranger

Ranger G&G Newbie

FWIW, my personal favorite are .22 Mini Mags.
  15. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

do they all come in 40 round boxes ? :hmmm: :target:
  16. Big Dog

My general favorite .22 loads are:
    1) CCI Minimag - best "High Velocity" fodder.
    2) CCI Greentag - good near-target loads, not really match-grade but very good in many rifles.
    3) CCI Standard - same as Greentag, just not quite as consistent. Much cheaper though!
    4) Federal Lightning - good load, slightly more expensive than bulk.
    5) Winchester Dynapoints - best bulk loads I've found.
    6) Aguila 60 grain SSS - specialty round with great "whompability factor"!
    7) Aguila Super Maximum - super hot little zingers! Makes your .22LR almost a .22 Magnum! But not for older more-fragile guns!!
    8) Aguila Super Colibri - powderless rounds, super quiet. Got "yard pests"? Get these loads, and get rid of the pests!
  17. colt45

colt45 G&G Newbie

Occupied Territories of New York (Buffalo)
    my shooting with the stuff in centerfires has been a good one, but the 22 has been an utter disaster. i now use the wolf 22 for all my shooting other than my competion handgun. it still likes the remington standard handgun target loads better. but my sporter rifle and my 10/22 love the wolf ammo.
  18. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I like Triton Quik Shoks, Remington Yellow Jackets and Winchester Power Points in that order...I also like the American Eagle stuff too
  19. Troy

Troy G&G Newbie

You guys are spittin out names of ammo that i haven't even heard of before. I just dont have the selection to choose from like youse guys. My local gun dealer never even heard of the Colibri bullets.
  20. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Aguila Ammunition - New Products
    .22 Super Colibrí (No Gunpowder)

After the great popularity achieved by our .22 Colibri, we decided to develop another cartridge, also without gun powder, providing it with a higher velocity. The .22 Super Colibri is a round for those wishing to have more power while still being able to discharge their firearms without bothering to wear ear protection.

The most relevant difference with the .22 Colibri is that this new round has almost 33% higher velocity!

It will not cycle the slide of semi automatics firearms.

WARNING: This cartridge is lethal at short and medium distances. All regular safety principles apply!

WARNING: These primer only loaded rounds must be fired only in handguns. When fired in long barreled firearms such as rifles, bullets may remain lodged inside the longer barrel. A subsequent firing of a regular .22 rimfire cartridge may result in injury or death to the user or other.